Does this data transfer workflow on my Dell XPS 15 laptop seem logical? Need advice.

Librarycard

I'm in a bit of a predicament. So I recently got signed onto a gig doing data wrangling on a film shoot. I am working on a Dell XPS 15 7590 laptop which has 1 USB C (thunderbolt) and 2 USB A (usb 3) ports. Essentially I will have to connect an external SSD with footage on it, and then copy those files to two locations: 1 external G-Raid Array (RAID 0 I believe), and 1 external Lacie Drive. Now from some research I realize that plugging too many things into a laptop isn't a great idea as the system may not have the power to complete all these tasks at once which is why I am looking into incorporating a powered USB dock into my workflow. The resulting setup would be G-Raid connected to my laptop through the USB C thunderbolt port, and then the dock connected to one of the laptops two USB A ports with both the Lacie Drive and the SSD connected to that. Does this seem logical? Is this a solution that will also preserve high transfer speeds?

Another little issue worth mentioning... My laptop has 1 USB C and 2 USB A ports. However, the G-Raid uses a USB C cable and the Lacie Drive also uses a USB C cable. So I probably need to add a USB C to USB A adapter somewhere in there as well. I've looked into this far too long and the whole issue is giving me a bit of a headache so I want to throw it out here to see if anyone has any potential ideas on how to make this mess work. Any opinions appreciated, thank you.

32 minutes ago, Librarycard said:

Now from some research I realize that plugging too many things into a laptop isn't a great idea as the system may not have the power to complete all these tasks at once which is why I am looking into incorporating a powered USB dock into my workflow.

Attaching to an external power source should alleviate the power throttling whether its a dock or just a power cord. So attach the power cord to the power cord port and save the USB C port for data transfers. Do them one at a time. Trying to do both at once would slow it down. 

I included the pic because i was on the site to be sure there was a separate power port, and to help ensure i was looking at the same thing as what you have.

image.png.fbbe6f31b497158897278114c09952de.png

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

21 hours ago, cr8tor said:

Attaching to an external power source should alleviate the power throttling whether its a dock or just a power cord. So attach the power cord to the power cord port and save the USB C port for data transfers. Do them one at a time. Trying to do both at once would slow it down. 

I included the pic because i was on the site to be sure there was a separate power port, and to help ensure i was looking at the same thing as what you have.

image.png.fbbe6f31b497158897278114c09952de.png

Ah I see, that makes sense. Definitely clears the mess up a little. I will bring a dock with me just in case but it seems like it's definitely not something that is a necessity if the power cord will alleviate the power throttling. Thank you.

17 hours ago, Librarycard said:

Ah I see, that makes sense. Definitely clears the mess up a little. I will bring a dock with me just in case but it seems like it's definitely not something that is a necessity if the power cord will alleviate the power throttling. Thank you.

Yep, glad i could help.

Have a long and prosperous life my fellow human.

Daily driver (looking to upgrade mobo and cpu spring of 2021)   --- The only time I sort by price from high to low is when I am shopping for CPU's and GPU's (looking for a cheap i7-7700k though)
Mobo: ASRock Z170 Extreme7+  CPU: i7-6700K @ 4.6MHz OC  Cooling: Corsair H115i Hydro  Memory: TridentZ 32GB @ 3600MHz  GPU: EVGA 2070 FTW3 ULTRA+ (OC'd 50/300)  
PSU: Corsair HX850i   Storage: 980 Pro 1TB, 950 PRO 512Mb, (2)ADATA SU800 1TB  Keyboard: Logitech G910  Mouse: Logitech G502   Headset: Logitech G930 UPS: APC Pro 1500 S

Unraid box providing network routing, home automation services, and media services ( I love unraid!)

USB Key: SanDisk 16GB Ultra Fit  Mobo: Intel DX79SR Extreme+  CPU: i7-3820  Memory: 16Gb Kingston HyperX Predator  Storage: (cache)480gb Micron SSD (1)8TB HDD (1) 4TB HDD  
GPU: MSI GTX 1650 4GT LP OC (passed through to Emby)  NIC: Intel I350-T4 4-port Gb (passed through to PFSense)  UPS: APC PRO 1000
Docker Containers: Emby and Home-Assistant-Core  Virtual machines: PFsense ( I love PFSense!)

Family machines
Mobo: Asus Prime H310M-E  CPU: Intel Core i3-9100F  Cooling: Deepcool Gammaxx 400  Memory: Teamgroup Elite Plus DDR4 16GB  Storage: Silicon Power 1TB NVMe M.2  
GPU: Asus GTX 1660 Super 6GB or EVGA 1070 FTW 8GB  PSU: Thermaltake Smart 500W 80+  UPS: APC XS 1300

As well as a number of other machines, a ton of parts, miles of cables, and who knows what else!
Private message me for quicker assistance. I also build and ship custom machines at a really fair price.

1 minute ago, cr8tor said:

Have a long and prosperous life my fellow human.

lol. You sound like an AI buddy of mine :P

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

lol. You sound like an AI buddy of mine :P

Maybe i am just an AI script Linus had put together to take care of the forum?

Family machines

Just now, cr8tor said:

Maybe i am just an AI script Linus had put together to take care of the forum?

Not sure, but you do a fine job.

giphy.gif.f79c5327986c9c9a7630a1258151c470.gif

1 minute ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Not sure, but you do a fine job.

Thanks.

Seems very much a team effort around here. 🙂
Glad to be a part of it.

Family machines