B550 bios update - how to?

uno99
Go to solution Solved by minibois,
1 minute ago, uno99 said:

Wah what a pain in the ass. I saved money on a cheap board but now I might have to pay computer shop to install it 🙄

there is still a good chance the motherboard will have the right BIOS on it, just from my experience some 500-series boards did not yet. depends on how new the stock in the store was.

Hello I'm currently running an 1600x, but today I got a 5600x and a Asus Prime B550M board 

Do I need to use my old 1600x in the new board to update the bios, or can I just go right ahead and put the 5600x in and update?

3 minutes ago, uno99 said:

Do I need to use my old 1600x in the new board to update the bios

The 1600X won't work on B550: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-B550M-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

4 minutes ago, uno99 said:

can I just go right ahead and put the 5600x in and update?

this board as far as I can see doesn't have a feature like BIOS flashback, which would allow you to update BIOS without a working CPU installed.

that means it will either work, or not work, in which case you would need access to a working Ryzen 3000 CPU to update the BIOS.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

yes just geta  ryzen 3 3100 or some crap, because i remeber amd saying that all b550 boards not needing new bios, the hell

10 minutes ago, minibois said:

The 1600X won't work on B550: https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/All-series/PRIME-B550M-A/HelpDesk_CPU/

this board as far as I can see doesn't have a feature like BIOS flashback, which would allow you to update BIOS without a working CPU installed.

that means it will either work, or not work, in which case you would need access to a working Ryzen 3000 CPU to update the BIOS.

Wah what a pain in the ass. I saved money on a cheap board but now I might have to pay computer shop to install it 🙄

1 minute ago, uno99 said:

there is still a good chance the motherboard will have the right BIOS on it, just from my experience some 500-series boards did not yet. depends on how new the stock in the store was.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

now i think the new boards have bios preinstalled for the 5000 series

11 minutes ago, uno99 said:

From what I know, AMD is still doing the Short Term Processor Loan thing. They'll ship you a Ryzen 3 3100 (or another cheap Ryzen chip) so you can update your BIOS and then you send it back. Might be more time-consuming than paying a computer store to update it for you, but it's usually free. 

Main PC:

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X • Noctua NH-D15 • MSI MAG B550 Tomahawk • 2x8GB G.skill Trident Z Neo 3600MHz CL16 • MSI VENTUS 3X GeForce RTX 3070 OC • Samsung 970 Evo 1TB • Samsung 860 Evo 1TB • Cosair iCUE 465X RGB • Corsair RMx 750W (White)

Peripherals/Other:

ASUS VG27AQ • G PRO K/DA • G502 Hero K/DA • G733 K/DA • G840 K/DA • Oculus Quest 2 • Nintendo Switch (Rev. 2)

Laptop (Dell XPS 13):

Intel Core i7-1195G7 • Intel Iris Xe Graphics • 16GB LPDDR4x 4267MHz • 512GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD • 13.4" OLED 3.5K InfinityEdge Display (3456x2160, 400nit, touch). 

Got any questions about my system or peripherals? Feel free to tag me (@bellabichon) and I'll be happy to give you my two cents. 

PSA: Posting a PCPartPicker list with no explanation isn't helpful for first-time builders :)

13 minutes ago, uno99 said:

There are B450 motherboards with support for 5000 series right now, I know at least ASRock has released BIOS versions

You would be able to use the 1600 to flash that

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

2 hours ago, bellabichon said:

From what I know, AMD is still doing the Short Term Processor Loan thing. They'll ship you a Ryzen 3 3100 (or another cheap Ryzen chip) so you can update your BIOS and then you send it back. Might be more time-consuming than paying a computer store to update it for you, but it's usually free. 

Thanks Bella. I filled out the form. In careful consideration, I'm willing to wait for the bootkit to show up and save myself a bunch of hassle and cost :)
Stay frosty