AWS Outage Has Affected Large Portions of the Internet

Random_Person1234

Summary

An AWS outage in US-East-1 Region has impacted many services on the internet, from Roku to various newspapers.

Quotes

“Kinesis has been experiencing increased error rates this morning in our US-East-1 Region that’s impacted some other AWS services,” Amazon said in a statement to The Verge. “We are working toward resolution.” And, ironically, in a notice on the AWS Service Health Dashboard, Amazon said the issue has apparently “affected our ability to post updates” to that dashboard.

It seems the issue is fairly widespread, as a number of apps and services have posted on Twitter about how the AWS outage is affecting them, including Roku, Flickr, Adobe Spark, Spotify-owned Anchor, Glassdoor, Getaround, and iRobot. The Philadelphia Inquirer, Tampa Bay Times, and Capital Gazette have also said that they are having issues with publishing stories due to the outage.

My thoughts

Maybe one company/service shouldn't control so much of the internet.

Sources

https://www.theverge.com/2020/11/25/21719396/amazon-web-services-aws-outage-down-internet

CPU - Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler - EVGA CLC 240mm AIO  Motherboard - ASRock B550 Phantom Gaming 4 | RAM - 16GB (2x8GB) Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 3600MHz CL17 | GPU - MSI RTX 3070 Ventus 3X OC | PSU -  EVGA 600 BQ | Storage - PNY CS3030 1TB NVMe SSD | Case Cooler Master TD500 Mesh

That explains why all of my incoming requests - whether it be uploading files, loading a new page, etc. are so weird.

Uploading a file causes Chrome to freeze for 5 seconds, then it uploads.

Loading a page doesn't do anything for about 30-60 seconds, then it works.

elephants

20 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

Maybe people should realize that there are more companies on this planet than just Amazon.

Chart: Amazon Leads $100 Billion Cloud Market | Statista

Some additional rambling...

Almost every time someone asks be to recommend them a piece of hardware for a PC (or something similar) and I send them a Caseking link for example, they ask me whether it is safe to buy from Caseking and if I can't send them an Amazon link, because they don't trust anyone else.

57 minutes ago, Random_Person1234 said:

My thoughts

they don't though. Companies buy their service, not the other way around. Its completely up to consumers how many websites are run with aws.

3 hours ago, Random_Person1234 said:

They don't control it, they just hold a strong % of share of the market....but it does have it's benefits.

Anyways, things like BGP essentially make the internet quiet vulnerable anyways.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2018/11/major-bgp-mishap-takes-down-google-as-traffic-improperly-travels-to-china/

https://portswigger.net/daily-swig/bgp-experiment-knocks-linux-routers-offline

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

2 hours ago, poochyena said:

they don't though. Companies buy their service, not the other way around. Its completely up to consumers how many websites are run with aws.

totally forgot to answer that gamefaq poll on whether they were gonna run with google or aws

7 minutes ago, bit said:

totally forgot to answer that gamefaq poll on whether they were gonna run with google or aws

what?