Buying a blower card and putting 120mm fans on it?

Viesulis
Go to solution Solved by Coolmaster,

You can try something like this 

Or this https://www.arctic.ac/en/Accelero-Xtreme-IV/DCACO-V800001-GBA01

Using the included heatsink with your card probably won't have great cooling capacity.

I have found a good deal on a blower 1080, has anyone taken off the stock fan and put on a 120mm case fan? What are the results like?

2 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

I have found a good deal on a blower 1080, has anyone taken off the stock fan and put on a 120mm case fan? What are the results like?

Not a good idea as the actual heatsink in those cards is pretty small and sometimes even covered on top.

3 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not a good idea as the actual heatsink in those cards is pretty small and sometimes even covered on top.

oh i dont care about it fitting, i want to put the fan on top of the heatsink

Just now, Viesulis said:

oh i dont care about it fitting, i want to put the fan on top of the heatsink

The design of blower cards require the flow path, what you are thinking about sounds like a good way to cook a GPU

Just now, Chris Fortune said:

The design of blower cards require the flow path, what you are thinking about sounds like a good way to cook a GPU

This is the model in question 

, and i want to put a fan on the heatsink like thisCan I Fix This Graphics Card? (with PWM case fans) - YouTube

2 minutes ago, Coolmaster said:

You can try something like this 

Or this https://www.arctic.ac/en/Accelero-Xtreme-IV/DCACO-V800001-GBA01

Using the included heatsink with your card probably won't have great cooling capacity.

the cpu heatsink is a great idea actually, if im ghetto modding it might as well go all the way

2 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

the cpu heatsink is a great idea actually, if im ghetto modding it might as well go all the way

If you are gonna dive in go from the 10 metre board :D

BTW it dies look like a blower card in that image but as a fluid dynamics researcher I can't believe the benefit over a shrouded blower is worth it

6 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

This is the model in question 

, and i want to put a fan on the heatsink like thisCan I Fix This Graphics Card? (with PWM case fans) - YouTube

You can't do it like that. The heatsink is shut at the top the fans would basically be blowing into a wall

If it’s a fe blower, it already cools plenty. I’d rather keep something nice on the card instead of having to look at some contraption. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

If it’s a fe blower, it already cools plenty. I’d rather keep something nice on the card instead of having to look at some contraption. 

i like my pc to be quiet, my cpu already run fanless and never exceeds 60c

57 minutes ago, Viesulis said:

i like my pc to be quiet, my cpu already run fanless and never exceeds 60c

I like mine to be quiet too, which i why I got rid of the strix version of a 1080. And theres no way for my cpu to run that cool and be quiet and keep up with a gtx1080.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

9 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

I like mine to be quiet too, which i why I got rid of the strix version of a 1080. And theres no way for my cpu to run that cool and be quiet and keep up with a gtx1080.

ryzen 3600, playing rainbow 6 never exceeds 60c, i have set it so if it gets hot the fan will spin