Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Looking for X570 motherboard with additional 6-pin PCIe power connector on the board itself

Hi guys... Just as the subject says...I'm looking for X570 motherboard with additional 6-pin PCIe power connector on the board itself.  So, you have your usual 8-pin EPS12V for CPU power, and then a 6-pin for the PCIe slots.

X570 chipset.

Seems to be a lot less common now than it was in the past.  :D

1 minute ago, jonnyGURU said:

Hi guys... Just as the subject says...I'm looking for X570 motherboard with additional 6-pin PCIe power connector on the board itself.  So, you have your usual 8-pin EPS12V for CPU power, and then a 6-pin for the PCIe slots.

X570 chipset.

Seems to be a lot less common now than it was in the past.  :D

Why? There should be no need for that with a good psu. The only times I saw those was on boards back in the day that had a absolutely ridiculous amount of x16 slots and were dual socket. Basically every board is fine with the connectors it has out there.

Do you have a vendor preference?

Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

In the Queue:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

10 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Why? There should be no need for that with a good psu. The only times I saw those was on boards back in the day that had a absolutely ridiculous amount of x16 slots and were dual socket. Basically every board is fine with the connectors it has out there.

What if I were tell you.. you're wrong.  😉

At least with the new 3080 and 3090 cards.  They're hitting the PSU with such hard and fast transient loads that the voltage on the measly two little pins on the 24-pin are causing the voltage to drop on GOOD PSUs (because they have tighter protections) and the UVP to latch.  Add more power, voltage drops less during the transients, problem solved.

Already have tested this in practice, but that was with a Gigabyte Z490 Vision G board, which has the 6-pin.  Right now, I need one for a Ryzen platform.

7 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Do you have a vendor preference?

Not really.

10 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

measly two little pins on the 24-pin are causing the voltage to drop on GOOD PSUs (because they have tighter protections) and the UVP to latch. 

But doesn't UVP detect undervoltage at the psu? How does a better power connector solve the problem? I'm probably missing something here as you mentioned you've (I assume successfully) tested it in practice.

Disregarding Budget, the only X570 board that I can think of with an additional 6 pin PCIE power (Under the shield iirc)  is the X570 aorus xtreme, it is overkill in every way but this is the only board that I remember with a 6 pin PCIE. 

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

3 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

But doesn't UVP detect undervoltage at the psu? How does a better power connector solve the problem? I'm probably missing something here as you mentioned you've (I assume successfully) tested it in practice.

The +12V has a sense wire on better PSUs.

2 minutes ago, Haro said:

Disregarding Budget, the only X570 board that I can think of with an additional 6 pin PCIE power (Under the shield iirc)  is the X570 aorus xtreme, it is overkill in every way but this is the only board that I remember with a 6 pin PCIE. 

Ok.  Thanks for that.  Let's see what other suggestions trickle in.

6 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

The +12V has a sense wire on better PSUs.

Right that makes more sense

8 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Right that makes more sense

That does give me an idea, though... Wonder what would happen if I just cut the sense wire.  Hmm.....

8 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

That does give me an idea, though... Wonder what would happen if I just cut the sense wire.  Hmm.....

I expect that you'd also have to then loop that wire back to the psu and connect it to +12V. Otherwise the sense wire is at 0V so UVP is always active?

2 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

I expect that you'd also have to then loop that wire back to the psu and connect it to +12V. Otherwise the sense wire is at 0V so UVP is always active?

No.  It doesn't work like that.  If it's open, it just doesn't read.  Sometimes when I make custom cables, I leave off the sense because doing double wires can be a pain.

http://jongerow.com/no-sense/index.html

1 hour ago, Haro said:

Actually, it doesn't look like that board has it either.  :(

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14807/the-gigabyte-x570-xtreme/4

17 minutes ago, jonnyGURU said:

Actually, it doesn't look like that board has it either.

These two pcb breakdowns/ board reviews do show that it does. 

The board did have a revision update but that changed some stuff with the memory Topology iirc and did not remove the 6 pin PCIE power afaik, the little plastic cover at the bottom left corner is what covers it and you have to remove that to see it. 

Wārudobītā

CPU: Ryzen 3 3100. Board: B550m TUF plus. Memory: 16 (2x8) 3200 cl16 Hyper x Fury RGB. GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 1650 super.  Boot Drive: MX500. Case: Antec NX500 (Quite crappy. :p) PSU: CX450. 

Hehe, Meshify c is a kewl case. 

18 minutes ago, Haro said:

These two pcb breakdowns/ board reviews do show that it does. 

The board did have a revision update but that changed some stuff with the memory Topology iirc and did not remove the 6 pin PCIE power afaik, the little plastic cover at the bottom left corner is what covers it and you have to remove that to see it. 

Ah!  I see it now!

Looks like Anandtech didn't notice it.  :D

There is also the MSI B550 Unify-x. It is B550 not X570, but its got the extra 6-pin