AIB RX 6800/6800 XT Launch A Mess, Almost No Stock

Random_Person1234
Go to solution Solved by Random_Person1234,

https://videocardz.com/newz/amd-expects-aibs-to-sell-radeon-rx-6800-series-at-msrp-in-4-to-8-weeks

AMD says that there will be AIB cards at MSRP in 4 to 8 weeks. So I guess if you plan on getting an AIB RX 6800/6800 XT, wait a few weeks (unless you want to be charged an extreme premium).

The price on the AIB cards is very disappointing, wanted a 6800xt but no way am I paying $150+ over AMDs launch models. This really sucks, I finally got myself a nice ultrawide and wanted to experience new AAA games on some nice hardware this winter, but I guess it's giving me an excuse to play the old games in my steam library that I never even played, and check out other old but highly recommended titles that for some reason I skipped over.

10 hours ago, tim0901 said:

Not doubting you but can you supply a source for this? That's just insane...

https://web.archive.org/web/20201119135735/https://www.inet.se/kampanj/6000/amd-radeon-rx-6000-serien

Angående priser

Som en fotnot vill vi även bemöta eventuella frågor om prissättningen. Tyvärr har vi ingen möjlighet att möta det sedan tidigare kommunicerade rekommenderade priset AMD bestämt, det är under vårt inköpspris. Skenande leverenskostnader med flygfrakt under rådande omständigheter och ett instabilt dollarpris påverkar dessvärre den här releasen på ett negativt sätt.

This is what they say about the third party models:

Viktig info inför dagens release av tredjepartsmodeller av AMD Radeon RX 6800 och 6800XT.

Tyvärr har vi inte fått ett enda kort till release och efter att ha pratat med alla våra tillverkare, distributörer och AMD själva ser det ut som att det inte kommer komma fler än några enstaka exemplar i år.

Translation:

Important information regarding today's release of third party model AMD Radeon RX 6800 and 6800XT.

Sadly we have not received a single graphics card for this release and after having spoken to all our manufacturing partners, distributors and AMD themselves it seems like we will not receive more than a couple of cards this year.

Calling it now, some scalper has 3000+ GPUs sitting in a storage unit waiting to "make a profit" off of.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

Any corporate reasons why AMD does this (IMO) obviously stupid launch this way? If it's just not ready, simply delay the launch (aka the cyberpunk approach) be honest and ppl would understand. Just have have have at least twice the amount as ampere at launch with a warning of limited supply. Also it would still evaporate in less than a minute, the optics would have been infinity better because it at least look like you tried and you did better than your only competitor.

12 minutes ago, mrthuvi said:

Any corporate reasons why AMD does this (IMO) obviously stupid launch this way? If it's just not ready, simply delay the launch (aka the cyberpunk approach) be honest and ppl would understand. Just have have have at least twice the amount as ampere at launch with a warning of limited supply. Also it would still evaporate in less than a minute, the optics would have been infinity better because it at least look like you tried and you did better than your only competitor.

They don't have any other option really.  Every week that goes by, Nvidia is refilling stock on 3070/80/90 and that's a consumer that is then out of the market for a new gpu.  This being Q4, Christmas is prime time to sell these things too.  No one says "I think I'll give myself a PC for valentine's day".

So AMD has to say "me too guys!" even though they don't have any stock to at least hope someone holds off on buying Ampere.  Although AMD's reputation isn't doing so great with these things since they've done these paper launches for pretty much everything except the first couple Ryzen chips.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

What NVIDIA stock lol? I've been checking shops in Germany where I usually buy stuff from and they all have it out of stock, on-demand (at stupid inflated prices) or "Delivery dates have major fluctuations" as status basically since day 1.

So I haven't followed this launch.. was it worse than the 30 series launch? Initially I was really interested in a 6900XT but I'm guessing that launch in December won't be any better.

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Nvidia RTX 3090 FE - Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB 32GB DDR4 3200MHz - Samsung 980 Pro 250GB NVMe m.2 PCIE 4.0 - 970 Evo 1TB NVMe m.2 - T5 500GB External SSD - Asus ROG Strix B550-F Gaming (Wi-Fi 6) - Corsair H150i Pro RGB 360mm - 3 x 120mm Corsair AF120 Quiet Edition - 3 x 120mm Corsair ML120 - Corsair RM850X - Corsair Carbide 275R - Asus ROG PG279Q IPS 1440p 165hz G-Sync - Logitech G513 Linear - Logitech G502 Lightsync Wireless - Steelseries Arctic 7 Wireless

1 hour ago, mrthuvi said:

I don't get why people want the launch to be postponed. It doesn't make any sense for neither consumers nor the company.

What benefit does postponing the launch have to consumers? It doesn't make production any faster. Just to throw some numbers out there, let's say AMD makes 1000 cards every week. 

If they release the card straight away then every week 1000 cards goes out to customers. After 2 months 8000 people will have gotten cards.

If they delay the launch two months then they build up a stock of 8000 cards and then at launch 8000 people will be able to buy the cards.

Delaying the launch does not solve anything. All it does is delay when people get their cards. Instead of 4000 people getting the card in October and 4000 people getting their cards in november, now all 8000 people get their cards in november.

What benefit does it have to me as a consumer to have AMD release big waves of cards rather than just pump them out as quickly as possible, giving me a chance to get them early?

What benefit would it have to the company? Companies don't want massive piles of unsold products sitting in warehouses. They want to recoup the cost of manufacturing and development as quickly as possible. So for them it makes sense to release the product as quickly as possible. The faster the products gets sold, the faster they make their money back.

Also, delaying the product would increase demand for your competitors. For AMD, it is better to say "hey, don't buy an Nvidia card because our cards will launch in just 2 weeks" and then after two weeks they go "okay they sold out but if you just want 2 more weeks then you can buy our card". If they come out and say from the start "yeah, you won't be able to get our card for another month" then people will be more likely to go "okay then I'll just get a card from Nvidia".

Delaying the launch to build up stock makes no sense for anyone, except maybe people who are bitter someone else got something they can't have.

The way AMD has acted makes perfect sense to me. The only illogical thing is Frank Azor the person with an IQ equal to Intel's core count, can still have a job after shitting the bed so many times. If his twitter bio didn't say "Chef of marketing at AMD" I would assume he was a mentally handicapped intern at AMD that they let handle their Twitter account to seem young and hip with the Internet kids.

29 minutes ago, Reytime said:

So I haven't followed this launch.. was it worse than the 30 series launch? Initially I was really interested in a 6900XT but I'm guessing that launch in December won't be any better.

It's worse. Way worse.

With the 30 series there was some supply but it was very limited and demand was extremely high.

With the 6000 series launch, most stores, even big ones like Microcenter, are literally not getting a single card. So demand is high and supply is nonexistent.

12 hours ago, RejZoR said:

Which is why I'd then not upgrade at all because that would be stupid, buying last gen just before next gen comes out.

I bought the 2080Ti after 3070 was launched. For a comparable cost and performance, it will suffice, since my long term goal is a 3080 or whatever higher VRAM model they bring out in that area.

47 minutes ago, RejZoR said:

What NVIDIA stock lol? I've been checking shops in Germany where I usually buy stuff from and they all have it out of stock, on-demand (at stupid inflated prices) or "Delivery dates have major fluctuations" as status basically since day 1.

Stock is continually coming in, but it is going out just as fast to existing pre-orders, so you don't see any appear on normal store pages. Example from one major UK seller who is listing numbers of units each week: https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/rtx-30-series-faqs

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

4 minutes ago, porina said:

Stock is continually coming in, but it is going out just as fast to existing pre-orders, so you don't see any appear on normal store pages. Example from one major UK seller who is listing numbers of units each week: https://www.scan.co.uk/shops/nvidia/rtx-30-series-faqs

Proshop has a status page for both the 30 series and 6000 series.

NVIDIA GeForce RTX | 3070 | 3080 | 3090 » Full overview here! (proshop.de)

AMD Radeon » RX 6800 | RX 6800 XT | RX 6900 XT » Full overview! (proshop.de)

Stats as of 26/11-2020

3070 cards:

On their way: 325

Sold so far: 1509

3080 cards:

On their way: 343

Sold so far: 1135

3090 cards:

On their way: 85

Sold so far: 482

RX 6800

On their way: 13

Sold so far: 100

RX6800TX

On their way: 9

Sold so far: 25

RX6900:

On their way: Not released yet

Sold so far: Not released yet

Total Nvidia cards:

On their way: 753

Sold so far: 3126

Total AMD cards:

On their way: 22

Sold so far: 125

13 hours ago, Deli said:

It isn't like AMD find out they have to launch PS5, Xbox and RX6000 two weeks ago. They know this months ago. Bad planning is inexcusable.

Well AMD can't delay the launch even more, their card coming out later than nvidia already makes them look bad, and even if they had better supply, bots and scalpers would've bought nearly every card anyway.  AMD also has Ryzen 5000 on TSMC, and it seems like companies have tried to plan things out but everything has been really f*cked up this year.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I've seen 3090s in stock a few times now here in the UK. Normally it's one model, but it's better than a 200 person long queue... They seem to stay in stock for at least a few hours, but I can't say I've paid enough attention to know exactly how long they last.

At time of writing, for example, this card is in stock at scan: https://www.scan.co.uk/products/pny-geforce-rtx-3090-24gb-xlr8-gaming-epic-x-rgb-triple-fan-graphics-card

image.thumb.png.6bc193ed9ced4c3d7c0af7fb5c6b89e7.png

CPU: i7 4790k, RAM: 16GB DDR3, GPU: GTX 1060 6GB

It's not surprising, AMD has to split their fab capacity between making APU's for the latest Xbox Series X and PS5, making the latest 5000 series cpu's, and also make 6000 series gpu's, all these products are in high demand, it's not surprising that nvidia, who only makes GPU's (and some SOC's for Nintendo but they're not on high demand anymore anyway)  to have better stocks.

6 hours ago, porina said:

I bought the 2080Ti after 3070 was launched. For a comparable cost and performance, it will suffice, since my long term goal is a 3080 or whatever higher VRAM model they bring out in that area.

I have managed to get a 3070 after only trying a couple of days. 

It's not been that difficult. 

3080s seem to be like hen's teeth though. 

2 hours ago, LordVetinari said:

I have managed to get a 3070 after only trying a couple of days. 

It's not been that difficult. 

3080s seem to be like hen's teeth though. 

Lucky you. I've not seen any 3070 or 3080 on general sale from a reputable place (non-scalper) since launch. I have seen 3090's though.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

8 minutes ago, porina said:

Lucky you. I've not seen any 3070 or 3080 on general sale from a reputable place (non-scalper) since launch. I have seen 3090's though.

CCL have released one or two cards on general sale at random times during the day (I'm guessing that they are numbers over the pre order amounts). They have a decent queue system for adding the product to your basket with automatic retries then giving you 15 minutes to check out. Only took me two days to snag one.

Overclockers have listed some 3070s for sale as well. They are a little overpriced though. They don't last long, but at least a few hours. 

Can't even preorder. There is just no way I'm gonna pay almost 1000€ for RTX 3080. That would be just insane. And there is no other way to "preorder". You have to buy it at ridiculous price and then wait for weeks. Idiotic.

Rumor is that both AMD and Nvidia are shipping large quantities of chips to crypto mining companies, so there's that. 

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I guess someone owes everyone $10

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

@Random_Person1234 AMD said specifically they weren't sending any cards to Microcenter or any physical retail locations. They are discouraging people from going to physical stores because of covid.

They're only sending to digital retailers.

From a global perspective this thread's title and content is massive clickbait and is misleading.

North America got more RDNA2 cards than Ampere did in the first week. Anybody who wanted a card in North America could have bought one if they were vigilant about doing so.

The only problem is that Western Europe and Australia haven't gotten any units yet. As MLID has said, this is not unexpected. It happens literally every time a new graphics card comes out.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

12 hours ago, valdyrgramr said:

Sure, the marketing people lied, but people want slave labor over a GPU? 

Well that is a tough one, do I answer honestly? 😉🙃

Spoiler

yes

7 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

@Random_Person1234 AMD said specifically they weren't sending any cards to Microcenter or any physical retail locations. They are discouraging people from going to physical stores because of covid.

yep my local chain only doing only in stores has gotten 0 RNDA2 and I'm okay with that.

I know AMD sold a lot from their own site at MSRP

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

13 hours ago, Briggsy said:

Rumor is that both AMD and Nvidia are shipping large quantities of chips to crypto mining companies, so there's that. 

What a dumb short term strategy. Especially on AMD's part as they should be working hard on building the ecosystem of their own with feature sets that would set even stronger competition on software side as well as pull in new buyers. Cryptominers don't care about any of that, they just care what gives them the most virtual money for least cost in graphic card. Lets just say if you're a determined graphic cards maker, it's a very bad strategy. If you want to just quickly milk it and then sink the company, it's a great way. I just don't know why either AMD or NVIDIA would do that.

On 11/25/2020 at 7:03 PM, StDragon said:

Blame COVID-19. Not a whole lot you can do staying home. 2021 will be a year a whole lot of people jump into PC building. Question is, will there be good gaming content to make it worthwhile of an experience? There are a lot of titles in production behind schedule for obvious reasons.

I mean that's surely a big factor but not the only one. Both companies should have been more upright about availability and also explaining why they think it's reasonable to launch a whole new production line before having reasonable amounts of stock... 

(basically, obviously they started production way too late, and weren't upright about it) 

PS: this is also one of the rare cases where a "roadmap" would have actually made sense 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 hours ago, RejZoR said:

What a dumb short term strategy. Especially on AMD's part as they should be working hard on building the ecosystem of their own with feature sets that would set even stronger competition on software side as well as pull in new buyers. Cryptominers don't care about any of that, they just care what gives them the most virtual money for least cost in graphic card. Lets just say if you're a determined graphic cards maker, it's a very bad strategy. If you want to just quickly milk it and then sink the company, it's a great way. I just don't know why either AMD or NVIDIA would do that.

Totally agreed. 

If there's any silver lining, the rumor does suggest that it's only the chips being sold to mining companies and not the assembled graphic cards, with the mining companies having their own pcb design, components and in-house drivers. It may be that Samsung and TSMC can produce the GPU wafers faster than AIB's can put cards together, allowing Nvidia and AMD to saturate the production pipeline better. But now I'm just speculating on a rumor, and the demand for graphic cards is so high right now that I can see this being AMD and Nvidia biting off more than they can chew. And then there's intel with their Xe graphic chips, I wonder where they sit with large mining farms.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR