Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Do .bat files always launch in command prompt?

I have a discord.py bot I run on my laptop. I have a little .bat script (pasted below) to quick boot it up when I'm not working on it from my IDE. It's great because I can just double click the file and it's going.

I would like to utilize the new Window's Terminal (WT) tabs. To run my little script from WT I have to open WT, cd dir AND run the file, which is a minor inconvenience I simply cannot live with.

As the title implies, my script always open in command prompt, which is ugly. I want it to open in WT instead.

@echo off
cd C:\GoonBot
venv\Scripts\python.exe main.py

You could probably add the script to the path environment variables so that you just have to type SomeCommandIMade

Edit: nvm that wont change the fact that it will open in CMD

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

A batch file, that is .bat or .cmd is exclusive to windows and will only be launched through a command line interface (CLI) which in this case is the command prompt. So no, you cannot really modify a .bat file to launch with something else.

6 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

A batch file, that is .bat or .cmd is exclusive to windows and will only be launched through a command line interface (CLI) which in this case is the command prompt. So no, you cannot really modify a .bat file to launch with something else.

Microsoft has launched their Windows Terminal application a while ago. Its a tabbed system that allows you to have powershell, WSL and CMD tabs open all in the same application. Last I heard they're working on supporting terminal as a configurable default for all CLI operations.

terminal.thumb.png.57d88006f512a9232be8bf76f5ba35bb.png

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

39 minutes ago, trag1c said:

You could probably add the script to the path environment variables so that you just have to type SomeCommandIMade

Edit: nvm that wont change the fact that it will open in CMD

I added the path to the path variable, but I don’t know how to activate it from the WT. 

12 hours ago, Jjsimpleton said:

I added the path to the path variable, but I don’t know how to activate it from the WT. 

I think there is a round-about way of doing it.  Bat files will I think by default open in cmd, but you can still call it from the WT window using a bat

e.g.

@echo off
start wt -d "C:\GoonBot" -H "venv\Scripts\python.exe main.py"

Not sure this would work...don't have wt on this computer so can't really try it out.  In theory there should be a way with the wt command line arguments to run the program.

Type wt -? and you should see a bunch of stuff...other than that, here is the wt documentation

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/terminal/command-line-arguments?tabs=windows

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef