What should I put in my computer while I wait for one of the new GPUs?

Sagely Hijinks
My first PC is coming together, just a few more parts to pick up - specifically case, CPU cooler, GPU, and monitor. I plan on picking up every except the GPU during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

What should I do while I wait for a GTX 30-series or RX 6000 to become buyable? Do I get an EVGA card and use step-up? Get a different GPU and try to return it later once I get the replacement? Get a $200 option and return/resell it?

I've been using my laptop which has 970 in it. I also have access to a 750Ti in an old machine. So I wouldn't want to buy a card which is worse than those (although I don't think that's hard lol). Maybe I should just use the 750Ti?

what CPU are you running? I mean use whatever you like but there is a good chance you won't get your GPU (darn it, scalpers!)

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

I would use the 750Ti for now as that will give you a good basic performance for most older games and wait till what you want is in the shops

22 minutes ago, eeeee1 said:

what CPU are you running? I mean use whatever you like but there is a good chance you won't get your GPU (darn it, scalpers!)

Actually managed to pick up a 5600X on launch day and it's currently sitting in my closet.

54 minutes ago, Sagely Hijinks said:
My first PC is coming together, just a few more parts to pick up - specifically case, CPU cooler, GPU, and monitor. I plan on picking up every except the GPU during Black Friday/Cyber Monday.

What should I do while I wait for a GTX 30-series or RX 6000 to become buyable? Do I get an EVGA card and use step-up? Get a different GPU and try to return it later once I get the replacement? Get a $200 option and return/resell it?

I've been using my laptop which has 970 in it. I also have access to a 750Ti in an old machine. So I wouldn't want to buy a card which is worse than those (although I don't think that's hard lol). Maybe I should just use the 750Ti?

Use what you have and have some patience. So basically put patience in the system :p.

38 minutes ago, Sagely Hijinks said:

Actually managed to pick up a 5600X on launch day and it's currently sitting in my closet.

That poor thing. Getting no love. 

On 11/25/2020 at 5:06 PM, Sagely Hijinks said:

Question. Do you NEED a 3000 series card? For 1080p and 1440p there's plenty of cards out there that'll do just fine. You can get great deals on the used market for anything from a 1080Ti to a 2080 Super.

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?