DRAM Light on after bent pins :(

niddler

Alright guys so long-story-short I got a new water cooling so I took out the fan cooler that came with the Ryzen CPU and I did something wrong and the CPU came stuck with the cooler and some pins got bent.
I first tried putting the CPU Back but the CPU Light was on.. so the CPU wasn't connected all the way in, so I got the pins in place again, cleaned the pins with alcoohol, and I manage to attach it right back to the motherboard.

The CPU Light is now Off but... when I'm turning on the computer, the DRAM Light is ON and I have no idea on how to fix it.

I tried cleaning the bios and I removed the battery for 10 minutes and put it back but still no joy.

I saw alot of people having this problem due to cpu bent pins, but I would think all the cpu pins are straight enough for it to work. Here's an image of some not align pins: https://imgur.com/a/9gUKrvW

Can this be the problem? If not what?

Any help please? I'm honestly terrified that I screwed the CPU :(

Was it the wraith prism cooler that ripped the cpu out? Because it's known for it. Youre supposed to twist it loose first before lifting it off.

Take a big breath. Calm down. Get the cpu back out and give it a proper once over. Don't just look for bent pins but also missing pins. Make sure all bent pins are straight again. Then reseat it and try it again.

Just now, Digideath said:

Was it the wraith prism cooler that ripped the cpu out? Because it's known for it. Youre supposed to twist it loose first before lifting it off.

Take a big breath. Calm down. Get the cpu back out and give it a proper once over. Don't just look for bent pins but also missing pins. Make sure all bent pins are straight again. Then reseat it and try it again.

Yes it was the wraith prism, but its also my fault for not doing it the correct way.

I'm calm now, this was yesterday, I got it back together and I'm trying to fix it.

Im pretty sure there's no missing pins. There were some bent pins, only enough for it to not fit the motherboard.

I've fixed those little pins and I also had tiny bits of thermal paste on the cpu pins, which I discovered later and I cleaned them with alcohool and they are all clean now.

But now I have the problem where I'm not sure if its the CPU or the Motherboard Socket, because maybe theres something in the socket thats preventing it from detecting the CPU Memory controller pins.

Thank you for your fast answer btw!

are all pins completely restraightened so that they make proper contact with the socket

and check for missing pins

then give it another try

if still no joy maybe check if the socket is damaged in any way

MAIN PC: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X@4.4GHz, Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 WiFi, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO@3600Mhz, Gigabyte Radeon RX5700XT Gaming OC, Creative Soundblaster Z, 2x 512GB XPG SX8200 Pro, 1TB Crucial MX500, 256GB Kingston KC600, 480GB Crucial BX500, 2x 2TB WD Blue, 2x 1TB WD Blue, 250GB Kingston A2000 , Corsair Hydro H100i RGB PLATINUM SE, Corsair HX1050, Corsair Carbide 500R
2ND PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X@4.3GHz, Gigabyte X570 Aorus Master, 32GB XPG Spectrix D60@3733Mhz, Sapphire Radeon RX580 Nitro+ 8GB, 512GB XPG SX8200 Pro, 2x 500GB Kingston A2000, 500GB Crucial MX500, 480GB Kingston A400, 2TB WD Blue, 2TB WD Green, 256GB XPG SX6000 Pro, Corsair Hydro H100i RGB PRO XT, Silverstone ST65F-GS, Corsair Carbide 275R TG
3RD PC: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X@4.3GHz, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi, 32GB XPG Spectrix D60@3466Mhz, Gigabyte Radeon RX570 OC, 512GB XPG SX8200 Pro, 500GB Kingston A2000, 500GB Crucial MX500, 2x 250GB Crucial MX500, 240GB Patriot Burst, 2x WD Blue 1TB, 256GB Micron M600, ID Cooling Frostflow 240, Corsair VS650, NZXT H510
4TH PC: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X@4.2GHz, MSI MPG B550 Gaming Edge WiFi, 32GB XPG Spectrix D60@3466Mhz, Sapphire Radeon RX470 Nitro, 512GB XPG SX8200 Pro, 500GB Kingston A2000, 500GB Crucial MX500, 512GB ADATA SU800, 240GB Patriot Burst, 2x 1TB WD Blue, 256GB Micron M600, ID Cooling Frostflow 240, Silverstone ST50F-ES, Deepcool Matrexx 55
5TH PC: AMD Ryzen 5 2600@4.2GHz, MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon AC, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO@3200Mhz, Asus ROG Strix RX570 OC, 512GB XPG SX8200 Pro, 500GB Kingston A2000, 500GB Crucial MX500, 512GB ADATA SU800, 1TB WD Blue, 240GB PNY CS900, Scythe Mugen 5 ARGB Plus, Silverstone ST50F-ES, Gaming Freak 4G-TFlux
WORK PC: AMD Ryzen 3 3100@4.3GHz, Asrock B450M Steel Legend, 32GB PNY XLR8@3200MHz, Sapphire RX470 Platinum Edition, 2x 500GB Kingston A2000, 500GB Crucial MX500, 
256GB Kingston KC600, 250GB Crucial MX500, 256GB ADATA SU800, 512GB ADATA SU800, 240GB ADATA SU650, AMD Wraith Prism, Thermaltake Litepower 450W, Xigmatek Nemesis M

ITX HTPC: Intel I3-9100F, Asrock H310CM-ITX, 16GB PNY XLR8@2400MHz, MSI GTX1650 Super Ventus OC, 250GB Kingston A2000, 250GB Samsung 840 EVO, 256GB Kingston KC600, 256GB Micron M600, 240GB ADATA SU650, ID Cooling IS-50 MAX RGB, Thermaltake Litepower 450W, Cooler Master Elite 110A
Acer Nitro 5: AMD Ryzen 7 4800H, 16GB Kingston 3200MHz, Nvidia GTX1650, 512GB XPG SX8200 Pro, 512GB WD SN530, 500GB Crucial MX500

MSI PE60: Intel i7-5700HQ, 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2133Mhz, Nvidia GTX960m, 512GB ADATA SU800, 500GB Transcend SSD220Q
Alienware M17xR4: Intel i7-3940XM@4.5GHz, 24GB Kingston HyperX 1866MHz, Nvidia GTX980m, 960GB Crucial M500, 750GB WD Black

TRUENAS: Intel I7-3770K@4.5GHz, Asus Z77 V-Pro, 32GB Corsair Vengeance@2400MHZ, Sapphire RX470 Platinum Edition, 240GB PNY CS900, 480GB WD Green, 120GB WD Green, 240GB Patriot Burst, 2x 4TB WD Red, 2x 2TB WD Blue, 1TB WD Black, Cooler Master MA410M, Thermaltake Litepower 550W

Just now, bigmac999 said:

are all pins completely restraightened so that they make proper contact with the socket

and check for missing pins

then give it another try

Yes I would think so, because the socket has holes in which the pins go, if the pins were not going in, it would not fit or it would just wiggle like it used to.

Now im putting the CPU and it fits right in, no wiggle, no nothing. I would guess its fitting nicely.

My guess would be that for some reason the memory controller pins actually just stopped working, or theres something in the motherboard socket thats preventing it from deteecting the pins. But im not sure how to solve that.

Had that thing with the ripping out with my wraith cooler as well. Although i got some thermal compound on my pins and had to clean that of. That was bad as well, but yours seems like it got of worse.
Make sure, that there are no spots of thermal compound left.
There is still a little thermal compound between the pins and the socket, but i made sure, that that amound is so small, that it doesn't short anything and it doesn't block a pin.

11 minutes ago, theonly500 said:

Had that thing with the ripping out with my wraith cooler as well. Although i got some thermal compound on my pins and had to clean that of. That was bad as well, but yours seems like it got of worse.
Make sure, that there are no spots of thermal compound left.
There is still a little thermal compound between the pins and the socket, but i made sure, that that amound is so small, that it doesn't short anything and it doesn't block a pin.

With my Phone Camera, I have the Super Macro mode which allowed me to see the pins up close, and I saw that I had some thermal paste in some pins, So I bought alchool + a toothbrush and brushed the pins with alchool and all of the thermal paste came out.

But im afraid that some got into the socket, I'll try to clean but I'm not sure if I can.

48 minutes ago, niddler said:

the DRAM Light is ON

Despite the fact that you damaged the CPU, I wouldn't assume it's the source of the problem unless you've exhaustively tested the RAM, because that's what that error light is for.

Have you tried reseating your RAM? Booting with only one stick? Changing around the slots? Do you have another PC you can test the RAM in? Clear your CMOS before booting.

33 minutes ago, parrotperil said:

Despite the fact that you damaged the CPU, I wouldn't assume it's the source of the problem unless you've exhaustively tested the RAM, because that's what that error light is for.

Have you tried reseating your RAM? Booting with only one stick? Changing around the slots? Do you have another PC you can test the RAM in? Clear your CMOS before booting.

Yes I tried reseating and booting with differnt combinations with RAM Sticks. I also tried clearing the CMOS and I actually removed the battery to try and reset it throught that way. Same error

I don't have other PC, but I'll try to find a way to test it that way. 

4 hours ago, parrotperil said:

I had that with my old PC. That was a Intel one. Changed from the Stock Cooler to a better one, took the Cooler of, took the CPU out of the socket, dropped some thermal paste into the socket, didn't see it, placed the CPU back in, put the cooler on, bent the pin. Turned the PC back on.
Ram Error.
Turns out that i bent one of the memory Pins of the Socket, with one stick it was fine, but any more would cause it to not boot. Bent the pin back, everthing is working till now.
In the End you could have damaged one of the Ram pins far enough or made such a mess inside the socket, that it doesn't connect properly anymore.
If your pins are perfectly straight again, then you could try to clean the Socket with a suringe with a needle and alcohol.
I don't  know if this could hurt the socket, but it would be my last resort.
And i would try to do that while the motherboard is hangig upside down.

12 hours ago, theonly500 said:

I had that with my old PC. That was a Intel one. Changed from the Stock Cooler to a better one, took the Cooler of, took the CPU out of the socket, dropped some thermal paste into the socket, didn't see it, placed the CPU back in, put the cooler on, bent the pin. Turned the PC back on.
Ram Error.
Turns out that i bent one of the memory Pins of the Socket, with one stick it was fine, but any more would cause it to not boot. Bent the pin back, everthing is working till now.
In the End you could have damaged one of the Ram pins far enough or made such a mess inside the socket, that it doesn't connect properly anymore.
If your pins are perfectly straight again, then you could try to clean the Socket with a suringe with a needle and alcohol.
I don't  know if this could hurt the socket, but it would be my last resort.
And i would try to do that while the motherboard is hangig upside down.

dang I really hope not, I've seen so many people having this problem and having the pins bent worst than I had and still the cpu was running fine after, I only had like miss-aligned pins and I got them straight and... error :(

I already tried cleaning the socket with alchool and a toothbrush but still the same error, maybe I'll try to shove the alcohool in each little hole to see if it helps.

Anyway thanks for your help!

Alright just a little update, I gave my computer to a contact of mine which builds computers and he said that its unlikely that the CPU is broken, he says he tried close inspection with the socket and he told me theres a few pins inside that he thinks the gold contacts are not there (they aren't shinning) so most likely the problem is with the motherboard socket.

I'll send this to warranty and lets hope for the best! Thank you everyone!