Is RX 5700 XT a bad value with the release of rx 6800?

maremp

I used to have a nvidia GTX 1070 until it died about a month ago.

I was using it for 1440p gaming and it was running at or close to 144fps for the games I am playing.

I've decided to go with the team red this time, to avoid the nvidia's proprietery drivers (had problems on linux and it's impossible to get it running on hackintosh).

I was waiting for the release of the rx 6800, but the very poor supply/demand and scalpers makes it impossible to get it at all, and I can forget about getting it at the msrp price (even some retailers have bumped up the prices). So I'm probably looking at 650-700€.

So I was thinking if rx 5700 xt makes sense, since it's now discounted on some sites and I can get a new one for 390€. Does it make sense to buy it to replace my GTX 1070?

Another option I was considering is the RTX 3070, since I see some are in stock right now.

If the RTX3070 is close to rsp price then It will destroy rx5700xt and would be a better buy IMO. 

6 minutes ago, LpoolTech said:

If the RTX3070 is close to rsp price then It will destroy rx5700xt and would be a better buy IMO. 

Looking at Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 EAGLE for 669€. Not sure what's the rsp, but given there are other (out of stock) options with a lower price, I would say this is not close to msrp.

4 minutes ago, maremp said:

Looking at Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 EAGLE for 669€. Not sure what's the rsp, but given there are other (out of stock) options with a lower price, I would say this is not close to msrp.

It's 520 for founders edition with the custom cards getting closer to 600 so I would say its over RRP. The decision is yours, if you can wait I would and try to snatch 3070 but if you need a card now then its up to you

The cheapest 5700xt I can find is £375 - around 420 EUR so if you've found one for 390 then that's pretty good, its around the same performance as a 2070 super so if the 1070 got you 144 fps at 1440p in the games you play then the 5700xt might be just fine for you and you'd be wasting money getting the more expensive 3000 and 6000 series cards?

DISPLAYS: LG 27UL500 IPS 4k60hz + HDR and LG 27GL650F IPS 1080p 144hz + HDR

LAPTOP: Lenovo Legion 5 CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800H GPU: RTX 3070 8GB RAM: 16GB 3200MHz (2x8GB DDR4) STORAGE: 1TB Crucial P5 NVMe SSD + 2TB Samsung 970 evo plus NVMe SSD DISPLAY: 1080p 165hz IPS OS: Windows 10 Pro x64

If you can find a used one in good condition around 300 i would say go for it if your not strapped for cash,,,,,but paying 400 when something double the performance is only a couple hundred more........the question now for a lot of people is will it be worth waiting?

5 hours ago, LpoolTech said:

It's 520 for founders edition with the custom cards getting closer to 600 so I would say its over RRP. The decision is yours, if you can wait I would and try to snatch 3070 but if you need a card now then its up to you

If I'm waiting, I would try to get a rx 6800. But the curent prices are way over the msrp too and there's no stock. It would be perfect because it's amd (I could use it for the hackintosh and have better support on linux), but on the other hand I amd not supporting businesses who slap +100€ on the msrp (I mean legitimate business, not scalpers).

5 hours ago, rar0uni said:

If you can find a used one in good condition around 300 i would say go for it if your not strapped for cash,,,,,but paying 400 when something double the performance is only a couple hundred more........the question now for a lot of people is will it be worth waiting?

Idk, I would not buy used for 300 when the new one is 390 or maybe even less. The second part is exactly my concern. rx 5700xt gets me good enough for now, but rx 6800 will probably stay relevant for some years to come, like the gtx 1070 did until it died.

5700xt is about half the price and half the performance of the 6800. The 5700xt is still a very capable card for 1440p but is starting to struggle at high FPS (100+).

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

20 hours ago, Bobbysixjp said:

5700xt is about half the price and half the performance of the 6800. The 5700xt is still a very capable card for 1440p but is starting to struggle at high FPS (100+).

The only demanding game where I would care about the fps is Rainbow Six: Siege. And I was able to push 144fps on the gtx 1070 if lowered the settings. So given that the 5700xt is about 20% better, it should do fine.

For other titles I can live with less than 144 fps or non-max details.

I've ordered the 5700xt and I will see how it goes and at least to have something to last me during the winter when I play games more often. If I feel the need to upgrade, I will do it later, when there's stock and the prices go back to a more sane level.