Ryzen 7 2700 core clocks won't move beyond base clock speeds

Go to solution Solved by svmlegacy,
15 hours ago, Gdolike said:

Thank you for your reply as it is rare to receive one as it seems.

So do you mean that having a constant clock speed for all the cores in idle, in game, and in a stress test, while having the same GHz is normal.

Then I just don't understand why I have all these "boosts" and why in a game like Dota 2 I have like 90 fps. I had similar results with a i5 6400 which had less cores and the clocks were much slower...... Anyways I took some r20 cinebench tests the other day and my results were lower to results in this website https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-r20-scores-updated-results/

Is this also normal?:)

The boosting system is fairly complicated in this chips, but generally with CPB2, it boosts when it can, as much as it can. It depends on a lot of factors including motherboard, PBO status, and your individual piece of silicon.

Zen+ only reduces clock speeds when nothing is going on, the preferred power-saving mechanism is through putting the cores to sleep, while keeping clock rates high. This gives a more responsive and efficient CPU.

You are guaranteed to get 3.2 GHz all-core load (provided a compatible motherboard), and you are getting that.

Benchmarks require care and effort in taking, to provide compareable results. It's very possible that windows was doing something in the background, or other programs. As I said before, it also usually scales if you drop the temperature below 60°C. Memory speed also plays an impact on Cinebench, and Zen+ in general. 

Hey, I have a Ryzen 7 2700 processor and I have, what I think, is an issue. I feel like I should be getting more frames in my games and I might have finally found a reason to it.
So the Base Clock: 3.2GHz and the Max Boost Clock: Up to 4.1GHz
The clocks of all my cores in idle state is at around 3475 MHz and I found that out by using Ryzen Master and OCCT.
I tried using OCCT to stress test my CPU for 3 minutes and the clock speeds went down to 3.4GHz, the temperature went up from 40C (idle) to 65C, the power consumption went up from 25W to 60W and the fan sped up from 2000rpm to 2500rpm and that's all I could notice.
I tried changing the power plan from Balanced to High to AMD Balanced but nothing seemed to make it go higher. In game clocks are same as in idle, stress test clocks are same as in idle. Something ain't right here, maybe :)
If my CPU has a Boost Clock I wanna use it for more performance in game.
Any helps?))

RTX 2060
HyperX 2x8 2666
ASRock B450 Steel Legend
Ryzen 7 2700
Kingston 480GB SSD

Annotation 2020-11-25 101431.jpg

Annotation 2020-11-25 101412.jpg

Annotation 2020-11-25 101356.jpg

Annotation 2020-11-25 101333.jpg

5 minutes ago, Gdolike said:

went down to 3.4GHz

I'm no mathematician, but I'm pretty sure 3.4 GHz > 3.2 GHz, so the chip is boosting. You're also hitting it with a all-core load, which is expected to give it a very small amount of turbo. 4.1 GHz would only be expected in a light single-core load. (look at core #5 hitting it for a split second)

For good measure, you might want to reset the BIOS, and enable PBO. You might see a bit higher boost if you get the cores below 60°C.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Secondary: AMD Ryzen 5 5600G, 16 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Fedora 38 x86_64

Server: AMD Athlon PRO 3125GE, 32 GB 2667 MHz DDR4 ECC, TrueNAS Core 13.0-U5.1

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

2 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

I'm pretty sure 3.4 GHz > 3.2 GHz, so the chip is boosting

Yeah I get it, when I started writing this I saw that in idle state it's almost 3.5GHz so I thought that's the base, but after googling the CPU I realized it's 3.2GHz so I don't know why it's boosting when it's not needed, and deboosting when it's in a stress test (100% CPU usage) but that kiiinda makes sense. 

7 minutes ago, svmlegacy said:

4.1 GHz would only be expected in a single-core load.

It will be hard to cope with this but.....

In idle state, the clocks are areound 3.5GHz, got that. But when I'm in Dota 2, playing the game, the clocks don't even move. All cores stay the same... As in idle

From what I've seen, your CPU is boosting normally. If you need extra performance, you've need to consider overclocking.

Main: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti, 16 GB 4400 MHz DDR4 Fedora 38 x86_64

Home Laptop: Intel Core i5-L16G7, 8 GB 4267 MHz LPDDR4x, Windows 11 Home 22H2 x86_64

Work Laptop: Intel Core i7-10510U, NVIDIA Quadro P520, 8 GB 2667 MHz DDR4, Windows 10 Pro 22H2 x86_64

8 hours ago, svmlegacy said:

From what I've seen, your CPU is boosting normally. If you need extra performance, you've need to consider overclocking.

So do you mean that having a constant clock speed for all the cores in idle, in game, and in a stress test, while having the same GHz is normal.

Then I just don't understand why I have all these "boosts" and why in a game like Dota 2 I have like 90 fps. I had similar results with a i5 6400 which had less cores and the clocks were much slower...... Anyways I took some r20 cinebench tests the other day and my results were lower to results in this website https://www.cgdirector.com/cinebench-r20-scores-updated-results/

15 hours ago, Gdolike said:

The boosting system is fairly complicated in this chips, but generally with CPB2, it boosts when it can, as much as it can. It depends on a lot of factors including motherboard, PBO status, and your individual piece of silicon.

Zen+ only reduces clock speeds when nothing is going on, the preferred power-saving mechanism is through putting the cores to sleep, while keeping clock rates high. This gives a more responsive and efficient CPU.

You are guaranteed to get 3.2 GHz all-core load (provided a compatible motherboard), and you are getting that.

Benchmarks require care and effort in taking, to provide compareable results. It's very possible that windows was doing something in the background, or other programs. As I said before, it also usually scales if you drop the temperature below 60°C. Memory speed also plays an impact on Cinebench, and Zen+ in general.