Will it be beneficial to replace my cpu's stock cooler thermalpaste?

loltrtv
Go to solution Solved by SupaKomputa,

replace thermal paste if it's already dry and loose it's thermal conductivity.

if not, i see no reason why.

If the temps are stable the day you bought it, it means you don't need a change.

as for cooling performance get a decent air cooler is enough like a hyper 212, don't cost too much but you will get significant temp lowered.

Recently I've been thinking about a way to lower my cpu temps in order to get more performance and I came up with the ideas:
1 • Getting a cpu cooler (a better one at least)

2 • Get water cooling 
3 • Replacing the thermal paste of stock cooler.

So this is where I felt desperate because it is not cheap to buy pc components in Turkey so i would like to know if replacing the thermal paste in the stock cooler will make a remarkable performance or buying a whole new cooler is better. 

CPU: Intel i7- 4790K (Not Overclocked or etc.)

i own an i5 4690k and when i used the stock cooler i also ended up replacing the thermal paste with arctic mx2 and it dropped my temps by 2°C if I remember correctly. If you want to do overclocking it makes sense to replace it, but i doubt, that it will be worth it spending money on a new cooler now, when you might be getting a new cpu in the coming months, that might not even require an aftermarket cooler for good performance

Depends how old is the thermal paste, if it is about a year old, then it isn't really beneficial. If it's like 4 or more years, then it definitely needs to be replaced.

1 minute ago, Latvian Video said:

Depends how old is the thermal paste, if it is about a year old, then it isn't really beneficial. If it's like 4 or more years, then it definitely needs to be replaced.

the bigger problem is the TIM, i know that the devils canyon chips have good TIM, but after 6 years now it definitely becomes a bottleneck

14 minutes ago, Latvian Video said:

I dunno... I've yet to find any actual data from a manufacturer that shows thermal paste breaks down to the point that it is worth tearing your cooler off to replace it.

It must be true, I read it on the internet...

If the temps are stable the day you bought it, it means you don't need a change.

as for cooling performance get a decent air cooler is enough like a hyper 212, don't cost too much but you will get significant temp lowered.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

57 minutes ago, shoutingsteve said:

I dunno... I've yet to find any actual data from a manufacturer that shows thermal paste breaks down to the point that it is worth tearing your cooler off to replace it.

I thought it would get dry and lose it's thermal conductivity over time.

The stock cooler isn't great. It's not much more for a cheap upgrade and I recommend it if possible. 

What case and ram are you using? Budget?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

29 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

The stock cooler isn't great. It's not much more for a cheap upgrade and I recommend it if possible. 

What case and ram are you using? Budget?

As a case I use Zalman Z11 Plus MidT ATX 

As ram I use 2x8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz ddr3 ram

and a budget of around 80 to 150 dollars (I think about buying hyper 212 or Noctua NH-D15) (Any suggestios would be great)

1 hour ago, SupaKomputa said:

I'll consider buying that cooler 

2 hours ago, Latvian Video said:

It probably is dry and not effective anymore I currently don't have a thermal paste nearby but i'll replace it and will compare the results. 

1 hour ago, loltrtv said:

As a case I use Zalman Z11 Plus MidT ATX 

As ram I use 2x8gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz ddr3 ram

and a budget of around 80 to 150 dollars (I think about buying hyper 212 or Noctua NH-D15) (Any suggestios would be great)

AR01 is good: https://www.teknobiyotik.com/donanim/overclock/islemci-sogutucu/silverstone-ar01-12cm-fanli-intel-amd-uyumlu-islemci-sogutucusu-sst-ar01.html

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.