RTX 3090 Founders Edition TOO POWERFUL for my Monitor?

GTechGeorge
Go to solution Solved by GTechGeorge,

SOLUTION: Idk if I just didn't have the DisplayPort cable pushed in far enough for what. Swapped DisplayPort outputs on the back of the GPU and that seemed to have fixed it.

So I finally got around try playing some games with my new RTX 3090 FE and get greeted by this instead. Is this card like, too powerful for my monitor to handle? Originally I was thinking it might just be a power supply issue as I only have a 750W 80+ Gold unit from EVGA, but I have a UPS that supports up to 1000W of power and the built-in screen says my system and monitor combined draw like 580W of power.

GPU is plugged into the DisplayPort connector on the back, and the monitor is the LG 34UC87C. I was planning on upgrading to a 144Hz panel anyway, but wanted to wait until after the holiday season if possible so I could recover from the burnt hole in my pocket left by my RTX 3090 purchase haha.

SOLUTION: Idk if I just didn't have the DisplayPort cable pushed in far enough for what. Swapped DisplayPort outputs on the back of the GPU and that seemed to have fixed it.

So I finally got around try playing some games with my new RTX 3090 FE and get greeted by this instead. Is this card like, too powerful for my monitor to handle? Originally I was thinking it might just be a power supply issue as I only have a 750W 80+ Gold unit from EVGA, but I have a UPS that supports up to 1000W of power and the built-in screen says my system and monitor combined draw like 580W of power.

GPU is plugged into the DisplayPort connector on the back, and the monitor is the LG 34UC87C. I was planning on upgrading to a 144Hz panel anyway, but wanted to wait until after the holiday season if possible so I could recover from the burnt hole in my pocket left by my RTX 3090 purchase haha.

Looks like some form of artifacting to me (someone who's been out of the scene for quite a while). If you can verify that the monitor and cable work correctly in a different setup, your GPU is either not functioning correctly or it is a driver/windows/resolution problem. Sorry I'm not of much help.

M1 MacBook Air 256/8 | iPhone 13 pro

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

Looks like some form of artifacting to me (someone who's been out of the scene for quite a while). If you can verify that the monitor and cable work correctly in a different setup, your GPU is either not functioning correctly or it is a driver/windows/resolution problem. Sorry I'm not of much help.

I'm definitely leaning more towards monitor issue. Before running my RTX 3090 my daily driver was a GTX 1080 Ti and had no issues with that whatsoever. Even borrowed my buddy's RTX 3070 for a while as we're waiting for Black Friday to get him the rest of his parts and that ran without issue, too. Same monitor, same DisplayPort cable. Even wiped the old drivers before swapping in the RTX 3090 and updated them to the most recent version on Saturday. Not only that but I've been benchmarking and testing a system I just built for a friend with an RTX 2080 in it with the same monitor and had no issues with that either.

Just now, StrikerX1360 said:

I'm definitely leaning more towards monitor issue. Before running my RTX 3090 my daily driver was a GTX 1080 Ti and had no issues with that whatsoever. Even borrowed my buddy's RTX 3070 for a while as we're waiting for Black Friday to get him the rest of his parts and that ran without issue, too. Same monitor, same DisplayPort cable. Even wiped the old drivers before swapping in the RTX 3090 and updated them to the most recent version on Saturday. Not only that but I've been benchmarking and testing a system I just built for a friend with an RTX 2080 in it with the same monitor and had no issues with that either.

That would probably be a GPU issue if it's working well with other cards IMO. Have you tried running a GPU 3d stress test? What are temps like?

1 minute ago, RGProductions said:

That would probably be a GPU issue if it's working well with other cards IMO. Have you tried running a GPU 3d stress test? What are temps like?

Yeah when I first got the card I ran three separate instances of Unigine Superposition just to see what sort of scores I could crank out of this thing (my buddies and I have a bit of a benchmark competition going on) and it completed all three tests just fine. I just ran another Unigine Superposition test with the 4K Optimized preset and it passed with flying colors. No weird glitches to be had at all. Sure the coil whine was a bit noticeable but the temps weren't unusual; 77C Max but I'm planning on switching to a more airflow-optimized case anyway.

6 minutes ago, StrikerX1360 said:

Yeah when I first got the card I ran three separate instances of Unigine Superposition just to see what sort of scores I could crank out of this thing (my buddies and I have a bit of a benchmark competition going on) and it completed all three tests just fine. I just ran another Unigine Superposition test with the 4K Optimized preset and it passed with flying colors. No weird glitches to be had at all. Sure the coil whine was a bit noticeable but the temps weren't unusual; 77C Max but I'm planning on switching to a more airflow-optimized case anyway.

Interesting. I'm all out of things to say honestly, It's been years since I've been in the PC game