Unable to choose M.2 as a boot drive

cadabri

Hey guys, I'm really struggling here. I recently got an M.2 SSD to upgrade from my older SATA SSD boot drive (Which I believe is on its way out). I was able to get the drive in, and windows to recognize it. Today I was going to go ahead and do the install, and I was able to install windows into it, however when I then restarted my computer, it stated that no hard drives were detected (I unplugged all the other drives). I went into the BIOS and there it also said no other drives were detected. I then went and plugged in the other hard drives again, and the old OS drive loaded up no problem, and all the SATA drives showed up in the BIOS, but not the m.2. The m.2 did show up in windows however, it just doesn't show up inside of the BIOS. I should also add, the MOBO in my system is from when I first got the computer from HP and so its an OEM HP Motherboard, I'm not sure if for some reason this would brick it from using an m.2 SSD as a boot. 

15 minutes ago, cadabri said:

the MOBO in my system is from when I first got the computer from HP and so its an OEM HP Motherboard

Does the motherboard have an M.2 slot?
Or did you add the SSD somehow using a PCIe slot?

I don't know if that would make a difference...

My build:

CPU

Intel Core i7 9700 8x 3.00GHz So.1151

CPU cooler

be quiet! Shadow Rock Slim

Motherboard

MSI B360-A PRO Intel B360 So.1151 Dual Channel DDR4 ATX

RAM

16GB (4x 4096MB) HyperX FURY black DDR4-2666

GPU

8GB Gigabyte GeForce RTX2070 WindForce 2X 3xDP/HDMI

SSD

500GB Samsung 970 Evo Plus M.2 2280

HDD

4000GB WD Red WD40EFRX Intellipower 64MB 3.5" (8.9cm) SATA 6Gb/s

Power Supply

bequiet! Straight Power 750W Platinum

Case

Fractal Design Define R6
3x bequiet! Silent Wings 3 PWM

2 minutes ago, suedseefrucht said:

Does the motherboard have an M.2 slot?
Or did you add the SSD somehow using a PCIe slot?

I don't know if that would make a difference...

Yes, the motherboard has an m.2 slot

Hey dude.

Did you check your BIOS for an option called M.2/NVMe boot or something like that? What model is the HP and SSD? Also did you ever update BIOS for it?

Just now, aDoomGuy said:

Hey dude.

Did you check your BIOS for an option called M.2/NVMe boot or something like that? What model is the HP and SSD? Also did you ever update BIOS for it?

The Bios has next to no options, went through almost everyone available. Forget the exact model that the computer is, but the mobo can be found here, https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04872085 

The SSD is a WD Black 1tb

Board is from like 2015, no updates available for it. 

Is RMAing an easy option?

It might be a faulty drive.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

According to this thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Will-my-BIOS-support-booting-from-a-non-sata-SSD-and-if-so/td-p/7192476

Your motherboard Pegatron Viking does not support NVMe storage (yes according to that thread..). I'm assuming your WD Black is NMVe and not M.2 SATA, correct? They have different WD Black models btw (HDD, NVMe...).

What you maybe need is M.2 SATA SSD, however you said it was detected in Windows so I'm not sure. You have two M.2 sockets but only one that can fit a drive of that physical size? From what I could see anyway. If you have one more that you can fit that drive into try it.

Do you have UEFI mode enabled and not legacy boot? Look closely in BIOS and make sure there are no disabled M.2 slot or M.2 boot is disabled or something like that. 

49 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

According to this thread https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Will-my-BIOS-support-booting-from-a-non-sata-SSD-and-if-so/td-p/7192476

Your motherboard Pegatron Viking does not support NVMe storage (yes according to that thread..). I'm assuming your WD Black is NMVe and not M.2 SATA, correct? They have different WD Black models btw (HDD, NVMe...).

What you maybe need is M.2 SATA SSD, however you said it was detected in Windows so I'm not sure. You have two M.2 sockets but only one that can fit a drive of that physical size? From what I could see anyway. If you have one more that you can fit that drive into try it.

Do you have UEFI mode enabled and not legacy boot? Look closely in BIOS and make sure there are no disabled M.2 slot or M.2 boot is disabled or something like that. 

I beleive the other m.2 drive is for the wireless card, and is tiny. I tried disabling legacy and everything, and made sure all M.2 drives were enabled, its such a strange case.