Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

How to clone my old laptop ssd onto my new laptop's ssd?

I'm getting a new laptop and want a quick way to get all of my data onto my new laptop, and then wipe my old laptop to give it to a family member. What's the best way to clone my ssd to the new laptop, and the best way to wipe the ssd on the old laptop after I clone it?

13 minutes ago, Dylan lol said:

I'm getting a new laptop and want a quick way to get all of my data onto my new laptop, and then wipe my old laptop to give it to a family member. What's the best way to clone my ssd to the new laptop, and the best way to wipe the ssd on the old laptop after I clone it?

I wouldn't recommend using cloning software in this case since you're going to be cloning a bunch of useless crap from your old system like drivers and it might not allow you to boot. It may, depends on how lucky you are.

I would just connect the SSD via USB using an adapter and copy your files directly from it as an external drive. Programs, just reinstall. For your Steam Library, you might be able to get away with copying the entire Steam folder over and just reconnect it to Steam on your new laptop. 

For wipe, I would open Disk Partition on the old laptop from the Windows 10 installation media, perform a clean all on the drive, and create the a new primary partition, formatting using NTFS. 

Clean all not only removes all partitions, it writes zeroes across the entire drive so data cannot be recovered. 

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

30 minutes ago, Dylan lol said:

Its a very bad idea to clone between different hardware.  Your Windows activation will be invalidated and may not re-activate, plus you're keeping all the references to your old hardware and drivers in Windows which can cause odd issues.

Router: i5-7200U appliance running pfSense WiFi: Ubiquiti nanoHD (~700Mbit peak throughput)
ISP: Zen Unlimited Fibre 2 (66Mbit) + Plusnet Unlimited Fibre Extra. (56Mbit)

48 minutes ago, Dylan lol said:

do not clone like what @BlueChinchillaEatingDorito& @Alex Atkin UKsaid its correct as the drivers and product key will clash. just transfer the files. once you transfer the files successfully you can close the new laptop hdd to the old ssd and then install the newly cloned ssd into the laptop.

I think I know what you're talking about. I did the same thing with my PC.

You need two programs:

1. Oracle VM VirtualBox

2. Disk2vhd

and you need to turn on Virtualization in BIOS (it's easy to find); on your laptop and new PC.

With Disk2vhd you create an .vhd of your C folder and you import it into Oracle VM VirtualBox.

This way you will be able to use your old PC as a virtual machine. To transfer files, I did it the lazy/easy way. I just set up Google Drive. I transfer the files I need, when I need them.

Edit: To sum up the steps:

1) Enable Virtualization

2) Download and install Oracle VM VirtualBox and Disk2vhd

3) Create .vhd with Disk2vhd

4) Import and open the .vhd file in VirtualBox to check if it works and everything is ok

5) Do steps 2-4 on your new PC

6) Set up Google Drive on PC and on virtual machine 

7) Transfer the files you need

PS: I had no prior experience with disk2vhd and VirtualBox. I googled most stuff and I was done in like 2 hours.

3 minutes ago, Ωmegα said:

You need two programs:

1. Oracle VM VirtualBox

2. Disk2vhd

and you need to turn on Virtualization in BIOS (it's easy to find); on your laptop and new PC.

With Disk2vhd you create an .vhd of your C folder and you import it into Oracle VM VirtualBox.

This way you will be able to use your old PC as a virtual machine. To transfer files, I did it the lazy/easy way. I just set up Google Drive. I transfer the files I need, when I need them.

this is another way to do it but idk if casual pc users can set it up

56 minutes ago, Ωmegα said:

You need two programs:

1. Oracle VM VirtualBox

2. Disk2vhd

Edit: To sum up the steps:

1) Enable Virtualization

2) Download and install Oracle VM VirtualBox and Disk2vhd

3) Create .vhd with Disk2vhd

4) Import and open the .vhd file in VirtualBox to check if it works and everything is ok

5) Do steps 2-4 on your new PC

6) Set up Google Drive on PC and on virtual machine 

7) Transfer the files you need

PS: I had no prior experience with disk2vhd and VirtualBox. I googled most stuff and I was done in like 2 hours.

Seems like a ton of work than is strictly necessary...

AMD FX™ 6300 @ 4.20 GHz | ASUS M5A97 R2.0 | MSI GTX 550Ti | 16GB Kingston DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB WD 750GB | Antec 300 | ASUS Xonar DG | CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo | OCZ 600W | Windows 10 Pro

Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 

Intel Core™ i7-7600U | Seagate 500GB HDD | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 850 G4

Intel Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB / 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 8GB DDR4 | Windows 10 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 

Intel Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 | Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina  Lenovo IdeaPad P580

iPhone 6s (iOS 13.6.1) | iPhone XS (iOS 14.3) |  iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | Samsung Galaxy S5e (Android 10)

2 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

hahaa right the first comment got it right

then a simple clone would finish it off

13 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

10 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

hahaa right the first comment got it right

then a simple clone would finish it off

But spending money to buy the adapter, wait for its delivery, and taking the SSD off the laptop is less work?

7 minutes ago, Ωmegα said:

But spending money to buy the adapter wait for its delivery, and taking the SSD off the laptop is less work?

A) The adapter is still useful afterwards.

B) No one includes the time it takes for delivery.

C) You do realize your steps aren't complete or detailed enough for a novice right? They're still going to end up wasting time Googling stuff aimlessly anyways. Whereas with the adapter, plug in, drive shows up as an external disk, treat it like a USB thumb stick. Plus transferring files from a VM to the host is just jank to say the least. 

Edit:

Also that VM file is going to bloody huge since it's your entire C drive. 

8 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

C) You do realize your steps aren't complete or detailed enough for a novice right? They're still going to end up wasting time Googling stuff aimlessly anyways. Whereas with the adapter, plug in, drive shows up as an external disk, treat it like a USB thumb stick. Plus transferring files from a VM to the host is just jank to say the least. 

Edit:

Also that VM file is going to bloody huge since it's your entire C drive. 

not only that. he needs to view and change the property of the drive to view the files otherwise he might wait for it to load. so transfer to the main directory of c make a new folder. and then transfer out.

17 minutes ago, BlueChinchillaEatingDorito said:

A) According to his post history, which I checked before typing my initial comment, he is not an novice. Even tho: 

B) I won't even comment on that. You said the 2 hours is a ton of work, but doing what you suggested is not. Alright.

C) The steps are complete. What they are not, is detailed. There's a slight difference.

The way I see it, you either spent 2 hours (3 if you think you need more help), you learn something new along the way or you spend money, wait 1-2 days for delivery, take the SSD off the laptop, transfer the files, and put the SSD back in.

Two hours versus a day or a few days of waiting + money expense + an hour or so for the SSDs removal/file transfer/re-installation.

@Dylan lolYou have two solutions and both will work. Choose the one you think it fits your skills better.

Edit: This is my .vhd from my old 240 GB C:/

image.png.bc99241fbc76b6cc237e4bf7d4a75319.png

2 minutes ago, Ωmegα said:

A) According to his post history, which I checked before typing my initial comment, he is not an novice. Even tho: 

B) I won't even comment on that. You said the 2 hours is a ton of work, but doing what you suggested is not. Alright.

C) The steps are complete. What they are not, is detailed. There's a slight difference.

The way I see it, you either spent 2 hours (3 if you think you need more help), you learn something new along the way or you spend money, wait 1-2 days for delivery, take the SSD off the laptop, transfer the files, and put the SSD back in.

Two hours versus a day or a few days of waiting + money expense + an hour or so for the SSDs removal/file transfer/re-installation.

@Dylan lolYou have two solutions and both will work. Choose the one you think it fits your skills better.

Which 2 solutions are you referring to?