3080 tuf with thermal, acoustic, and fps issues?

f2bacon

I just picked up my asus 3080 tuf this morning and so far it's been odd. I have a darkflash dlm21 mesh case. It's an matx case so I know there's not a lot of room for the fans to blow air, but this car is actually smaller than my previous evga 2080 super. It should have more room, yet it idles in the high 50s and gets up to the mid 80s during gaming. It sounds like I have a room fan on, and I'm seeing similar frames to the 2080 super when I expected a noticeable difference. I know the ryzen 3600 isn't a top tier cpu but I didn't think there would be a bottleneck because of it. Anyone got any experience or tips/tricks?

GPU: Asus rtx 3080 tuf
CPU: Ryzen 5 3600
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken x52
MOBO: Asus Tuf B550m Gaming Plus
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 32gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case: Darkflash DLM-21 MESH
PSU: EVGA 750w G3

19 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

I just picked up my asus 3080 tuf this morning and so far it's been odd. I have a darkflash dlm21 mesh case. It's an matx case so I know there's not a lot of room for the fans to blow air, but this car is actually smaller than my previous evga 2080 super. It should have more room, yet it idles in the high 50s, sounds like I have a room fan on, and I'm seeing similar frames to the 2080 super when I expected a noticeable difference. I know the ryzen 3600 isn't a top tier cpu but I didn't think there would be a bottleneck because of it. Anyone got any experience or tips/tricks? 

Not sure if this qualifies as a trick or not, but If it’s a cpu bottleneck changing settings levels won’t affect frame rate much.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

If it’s a cpu bottleneck changing settings levels won’t affect frame rate much.

bottleneck calculator says I have a 0.19% bottleneck with this config
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_5_3600/GeForce_RTX_3080/0U91748A/32/100/
How would a cpu bottleneck cause my gpu to run hot?

18 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

bottleneck calculator says I have a 0.19% bottleneck with this config
https://pc-builds.com/calculator/Ryzen_5_3600/GeForce_RTX_3080/0U91748A/32/100/

Did you clean out any old drivers before installing it?  What is your CPU usage and temps?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

Did you clean out any old drivers before installing it?  What is your CPU usage and temps?

I did safemode ddu. cpu is 60c with 60 to 70% usage while playing battlefront 2. gpu is 77c.
Even if the 3600 was bottlenecking, why are my temps so high?

2 hours ago, f2bacon said:

I did safemode ddu. cpu is 60c with 60 to 70% usage while playing battlefront 2. gpu is 77c.
Even if the 3600 was bottlenecking, why are my temps so high?

Even though you say 3080 is smaller than your 2080 that is still 105W more in TDP. That is like 33% increase in TDP. Temps scale proportionately to that  with smaller differences that cooler designs make. You need better airflow

Athlon x4 840 @3.7Ghz MSI A68HM-E33 V2 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ SC GTX 750TI A400 120GB TOSHIBA 1TB MSI 200W 

10 hours ago, shone32 said:

You need better airflow

I actually have great airflow. I'll stick my hand in the case to check and my intake fans are blowing cold air in. Even my aio and output fans are blowing cool air. 

I've built around 12 computers and I use this case a bunch and I've never had thermal issues before. I'm almost debating drilling a mesh pattern into the basement to give it ventilation when I really don't think that's the issue
3 intakes, 240mm aio with pushpull up top, and 1 exhaust in the back.

IMG_20201124_112227.jpg

Seen a bunch of tests for this gpu.  The whole “this thing should do more of this thing that I want to do than my old one!  It must be busted!” Thing I’m not too sure of.  All the testing stuff I’ve seen says these cards don’t behave any better, and sometimes worse at 1080p than smaller older cards.  It’s the larger rezzes where they stretch their legs. 

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

It’s the larger rezzes where they stretch their legs. 

I don't think I should be getting 500 fps at 20c. I know that judging by benchmarks it's supposed to be a 50% improvement over the 2080super, but instead there's 0 notable difference and it's actually hotter. I'm seeing other people's benchmarks and I'm absolutely not getting what their getting so I would assume it's an issue on my end. I was just curious if this happened to anyone else because maybe there's some obscure setting that I'm unaware of.

24 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

I don't think I should be getting 500 fps at 20c. I know that judging by benchmarks it's supposed to be a 50% improvement over the 2080super, but instead there's 0 notable difference and it's actually hotter. I'm seeing other people's benchmarks and I'm absolutely not getting what their getting so I would assume it's an issue on my end. I was just curious if this happened to anyone else because maybe there's some obscure setting that I'm unaware of.

Ok this is really rather easy to figure out hopefully. 

because it sounds like it's either actually a cpu bottleneck, or something is wrong with the card or PSU... 

Download and install 3dmark from steam (free demo) 

run Timespy 

if you have a result 

*compare* to same hardware, meaning your CPU and your GPU (brand doesn't matter) 

post pics of the results or better yet a link for us to check. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, f2bacon said:

50% at 4k. You’re not running at 4k.  @Mark Kaine has an excellent point though.  This is very easy to test. 

Edited by Bombastinator

5 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

50% at 4k. You’re not running at 4k.  @Mark Kaine has an excellent point though.  This is very easy to test. 

Would I be running cooler at 4k?????? Would changing my cpu make my gpu run cooler???

1.png

2.png

Unrequested update, I drilled some ventilation holes between the basement shroud and main section of my case. I'm now idling in the 30s and gaming in the 50s.
TimeSpy score 14405. Graphics score 17413 and cpu 7281.
Old scores are 13751, graphics score 16552 and cpu 7021.
An absolutely measurable difference.

IMG_20201202_162109.jpg

On 11/26/2020 at 12:14 AM, f2bacon said:

Would I be running cooler at 4k?????? Would changing my cpu make my gpu run cooler???

1.png

2.png

4k @1080p. Would be a 240hz monitor running at max

found another contributor!! nvidia programs! it turns out geforce experience and rtx voice / nvidia broadcast were causing my gpu to run at full force. if i have noise removal effect enabled on nvidia broadcast it'l run my gpu at max clock speed. the second i disable it, i go down to 210mhz. my gpu and cpu both idle at 31c. the way the lord intended. finally.

9 minutes ago, f2bacon said:

found another contributor!! nvidia programs! it turns out geforce experience and rtx voice / nvidia broadcast were causing my gpu to run at full force. if i have noise removal effect enabled on nvidia broadcast it'l run my gpu at max clock speed. the second i disable it, i go down to 210mhz. my gpu and cpu both idle at 31c. the way the lord intended. finally.

Well THAT’S kinda fascinating.  New one in me.  Makes sense though.  I’ve never thought of rtx voice as a bizarrely energy hungry system.  It could be though.  Might actually be a worthwhile bit in that.