PC building is frustrating and tiring..

AllaboutBudget

The feeling when you encounter an issue and you don't know what causes it. The only way to find out is to test different parts individually
but then..
you don't have enough money to buy new parts and unnecessary purchases will only take money from your hard earned student savings
your friends are not into pc building, noone to borrow parts, if there is one, it is not compatible with your system

you take your pc to the repair shop and it works right up the first time the repair man tests it and when you come home it doesn't work again. so basically you paid 20$ for the repairshop to plug your computer

you have 15$ left on your pocket and you dont know wtf to do anymore

man this feeling is so crushing.. getting kinda tired

but hey, you can laugh at me hahaha

I won't laugh at you.

It's not for everyone. Some people do it to have their own customized system tailored to their specific needs. Others do it to save a quick buck and get quality parts and to have that perfect price to performance ratio. There's also those niche people that want the most absurd system worth more than a family car only because they have the money burning a hole in their pocket.

But hey, you're on the LTT forum! Tell us about your PC troubles, you've come to the one place that can help :) 

Well if you list down the symptoms, maybe we can help?

Like, any LED? Pictures of the back panel?

-sigh- feeling like I'm being too negative lately

I'm worried about the same issue which is why i'm going to invest into a motherboard with a post code. Theoretically it should tell whatever is wrong with your system. But yeah we could always help you out troubleshooting. 

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Man.. thanks for all the support ❤️ and yes, I have finally know the issue and it is my videocard (rx 570). I then bought a surplus r5 230 online, but got scammed and it is DOA. the last of my money I bought a g530 to atleast use my pc right now using the iGPU because my main processor does not have iGPU. for the meantime I guess this should work for my online classes. 

The parts I bought are all used (except for psu, I bought a bnew one after saving enough) :), because you know, money is hard to earn and I do not come from such rich family.

For the people who wants to know, my system specs:
Xeon e3-1270

Samsung b75s1 mobo

2x4gb kingston ddr3 ram

Corsairvs 450 (gray label)
rx 570

I won't lie, I got really frustrated with my build when I first built it. (Not powering on due to dead psu, improperly wired front io, possibly incompatible or dead RAM)

but as the cliche saying for everything:

Don't give up

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

34 minutes ago, AllaboutBudget said:

Or I can try to make you laugh. Let's watch this guy struggle with jumpers

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

If it worked in the shop, and didn't work when you got it home, that tells me that it's something you're doing yourself.

Have you tried a different outlet?

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If it worked in the shop, and didn't work when you got it home, that tells me that it's something you're doing yourself.

Have you tried a different outlet?

yes, tried different outlets like more than 5 of it. removing the gpu and putting the g530 to boot using iGPU solves the power cycle that the computer does when the rx 570 is plugged in.

as for the pc working at the shop, I just thought that it may just be a lucky hit or the last remnant of the computer working as it did not ever again after that. I tried all the troubleshooting that I can possibly do. and it narrowed into videocard and videocard slot. :D 

I have posted my problem in the GPU section (no replies). I can put it here if you want for the full details of the problem :) 

I built my first computer almost 20 years ago and it was total crap, unstable, barely worked, was awful because I picked all the wrong parts. I've built many since and each time I've gotten better at making sure I get good parts, making sure I route cables nicely, making sure everything is stable and working properly together. I still mess up, but mostly it's software things now. I've been using Linux for almost 15 years now and I still break it all the time. Each time I mess up a learn a little more to dig myself out of the hole easier next time. Little by little I've gotten better. Not gonna lie, money really helps.

From 20 years ago to earlier this year building my friend a PC 10 years after I built her first custom built one.

I don't really agree, you just need good planning, get all the parts and then build it... which is essential nothing else but playing Lego with a few electronic parts and cables... 

I build a millennium falcon as a kid, that was more complicated. 

and when I build my first pc about 2 years ago, yes, it was a bit tedious because it took way longer than I anticipated, but it was also exciting and fun... my goal was two fold, at least ok cable management, which probably took the most time (around 6 hours in total) and that the thing would boot on first try... because I seriously didn't want to have to deal with troubleshooting after all this work... 

succeeded in both, cable management is pretty good for a first build and it booted first try too! 

meanwhile I rebuild this pc a couple of times (trying out another case, cpu swap, countless gpu swaps, cooling... etc...) and the only time it actually didn't boot was after changing out the RAM - which was easily solved by resetting cmos. 

1 hour ago, AllaboutBudget said:

you take your pc to the repair shop and it works right up the first time the repair man tests it and when you come home it doesn't work again. so basically you paid 20$ for the repairshop to plug your computer

yeah I get how that's frustrating , though how is that even possible I wonder... 

I'm sure if you explain the issue people here can help though. 

what is happening when you try to turn it on, nothing at all, or? 

I mean something must happen, I suppose, especially since it worked in the repair shop...

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

6 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

yeah I get how that's frustrating , though how is that even possible I wonder... 

Years back I had a laptop someone gave me from their deceased aunt, it would randomly black screen during use. I poked and prodded but came up empty. Paid someone $50 to look at it, explained when it would be more likely to black screen, they found nothing. I went back at it and ended up finding water damaged RAM pins which I was able to mostly fix. People miss stuff, it happens.

1 hour ago, AllaboutBudget said:

yes, tried different outlets like more than 5 of it. removing the gpu and putting the g530 to boot using iGPU solves the power cycle that the computer does when the rx 570 is plugged in.

as for the pc working at the shop, I just thought that it may just be a lucky hit or the last remnant of the computer working as it did not ever again after that. I tried all the troubleshooting that I can possibly do. and it narrowed into videocard and videocard slot. :D 

I have posted my problem in the GPU section (no replies). I can put it here if you want for the full details of the problem :) 

Can you simply post a link to the thread here?

If the 570 worked at the shop but not when you came home I suspect that due to transport it may have gotten loose from the slot, did you try removing it and putting it back in the slot and make sure the power cables are nice and snug at both the video card and power supply end?

1 hour ago, eeeee1 said:

but as the cliche saying for everything:

Don't give up

+1 for truth. Never give up. If you feel you can't fix it and you want to give up, just take a break. Go for a walk or anything that may help you clear your mind. When mind is clear go back and keep trying. Eventually you'll solve it but it's much easier with a clear mind.

48 minutes ago, aDoomGuy said:

Can you simply post a link to the thread here?

If the 570 worked at the shop but not when you came home I suspect that due to transport it may have gotten loose from the slot, did you try removing it and putting it back in the slot and make sure the power cables are nice and snug at both the video card and power supply end?

+1 for truth. Never give up. If you feel you can't fix it and you want to give up, just take a break. Go for a walk or anything that may help you clear your mind. When mind is clear go back and keep trying. Eventually you'll solve it but it's much easier with a clear mind.

System specs:
Corsair vs450 (gray unit/label) 1 year old
samsung b75s1 mobo
xeon e3-1270
rx 570
2x4 kingston ddr3 ram

Okay so one night my pc's display turned off and even if the display is turned off, the system is still running so what I did was restart the system, but after restarting, it no longer posts

I resetted the cmos and got it to boot and it worked. ran all the tests I need and it did not show any problems. I did ram test,gpu,cpu stress tests, no error or what so ever. But right after I turned off the pc, it wont boot again. and up until today, it still does not work.

Things I have done:
tried different PSU, same result. power cycles when rx 570 is inserted
I bought a new gpu (r5 230). still no display. dont really know if the one i bought is DOA
right now I bought a celeron g530 and it boot right up using the iGPU

Now, when I plug the RX 570, it will cause a power cycle.
When plugging the r5 230 in, pc no display.

dont know if my pcie slot is defective or the gpus are shot?

please shed some light on possible causes.

here is text from my other post :)

Cheers,

I would advice you to test the 570 in another system too see if it behaves the same but judging by your first post it doesn't seem to be possible. It might be that the GPU is shot, if it was tested on another system and displayed the same behavior there that would be a clue.

If you put it in the slot and connect it, you power on the PC. The display will remain black and the PC will restart? No beeps? No nothing?

Well I tried to find some info about your motherboard. It appears that it only has PCIe 2.0 x4 and 570 prefer 3.0 or above but I'm not sure if that may be the reason of your problems either..... I can't remember what cards used 2.0 bus but regardless as far as I know the card should work even if it is limited by the bus.. Tell you what, try tagging some of the folk that replied to the thread earlier and ask them what they think (put a @ and start typing their usernames). 

hardest thing about being new is not having test parts.

I got enough DDR2-DRR4, 4 video cards, some 10 working boards+CPUs and a few spare PSUs so I can test any single part

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

First stage, have enough money to build a computer, that means troubleshoot and buy other parts too, clearly had no reserves left.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

There's a reason why 99% of computer users prefer to buy prebuilt PCs or go with Apple. It's the same reason why people prefer to pay a plumber to deal with simple tasks such as replacing a siphon: they need it to "just work" and have no interest in the inner workings of computers and sinks, let alone how to customize them. 

I'm sorry you had such a bad PC building experience. Unfortunately, that's always a risk when you DIY anything. If you can't accept that and have no way to deal with it when it occurs, you may be better off with a prebuilt. 

Also, fuck used hardware. Always some problems with it. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

8 hours ago, Gundar said:

I'm worried about the same issue which is why i'm going to invest into a motherboard with a post code. Theoretically it should tell whatever is wrong with your system. But yeah we could always help you out troubleshooting. 

Have you ever heard about motherboard speakers?

They are as useful as debug LEDs.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

8 hours ago, AllaboutBudget said:

The feeling when you encounter an issue and you don't know what causes it. The only way to find out is to test different parts individually
but then..

I always find the cause of the issue.

8 hours ago, AllaboutBudget said:

you don't have enough money to buy new parts and unnecessary purchases will only take money from your hard earned student savings
your friends are not into pc building, noone to borrow parts, if there is one, it is not compatible with your system

As someone who has been a PC enthusiast for a long time i have acquired a lot of older hardware:

Lots of hard drives,power supplies,RAM DIMMs,GPUs,CPUs,motherboards and fans so troubleshooting such problems are no problem for me.

In the beginning when i had nothing,i pinpointed the problem by the symptoms and with help from a motherboard speaker.

9 hours ago, AllaboutBudget said:

Could be the display,the display cable,display cable connected to the wrong place,the power and wiring in your house,or other variables.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

but then..

you have 15$ left on your pocket and you dont know wtf to do anymore

man this feeling is so crushing.. getting kinda tired

Not really, most motherboards have either debug leds or beeps with a speaker. After that you can generally work your way through some errors like RAM when you can just try with one stick in each slot. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

but then..

yeah. Microcenter needs a shop near me, and a We'll Lend You a Part To See What's The Problem station.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

8 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I don't really agree, you just need good planning, get all the parts and then build it... which is essential nothing else but playing Lego with a few electronic parts and cables... 

That's how most tech YT channels present it as well. And although they're right in a way, I do think PC building is harder than they make it seem.

Don't get me wrong, I personally never have any issues with it, but when you're into PC building for a while, perhaps have built dozens of them, it's easy to lose perspective on how difficult and stressful of a task it can be for someone just starting out. Especially when there's any kind of troubleshooting involved. Plenty of troubleshooting is also rather difficult when you don't have any spare hardware or equipment laying around.

Buidling a PC isn't the hardest thing, but it's certainly not easy for an average beginner. It's not like lego at all in just too many ways. For a start the parts are about 50 times more expensive.