Do you think things were better before (circa the turn of the millennia)?

Lord Szechenyi

Do you think things were better before (circa the turn of the millennia)?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. (Read title)

9 minutes ago, Wheresmehammer said:

That's just your perception.

I gave many negatives on this era to offset the positives, but i don't see in only 1 way.

then give me positives instead of rambling how it was negative back then

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

Because i told you i grew up with these things, but apparently you weren't able to understand that despite me writing it multiple times.

Growing up with 90s technology is so vastly different than growing up in the 90s, but apparently you weren't able to understand that despite me writing it multiple times.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, Lord Szechenyi said:

then give me positives instead of rambling how it was negative back then

I was being negative of todays era not back then, go back and read my posts.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

EXACTLY!

and why are they doing that?

Because money, more companies try to make money and instead of having one computer, we have near infinite choices.

Back then, you either bought a commodore, an atari st, or an IBM compatible.

Simple as that

Because different types of computers for different prices, use cases, etc is all just some big conspiracy for money. Sure.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Growing up with 90s technology is so vastly different than growing up in the 90s, but apparently you weren't able to understand that despite me writing it multiple times.

Back when kids who bullied you would put out a cigarette on you, spit on you, punch you and all sorts.

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

6 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

He was reported multiple times to be "a dick", stole some ideas here and there, and especially (although here i'm not sure it's specifically him) did bad choices like the Apple Pippin.

well guess what? His strategy worked and Apple is the most valuable company on Earth. Also, every company does flops

In a way, you could say the spanish flu was good as it was natural selection and it killed off all the idiots who didn't watch out.

people who did watch out were killed too.

Anything Mac is from before the millennia, and even then they aren't that revolutionary as Microsoft always had the biggest market share (by a considerable margin).

Microsoft didn't do anything revolutionary, either.

They copied from their rivals.

(Also apparently they were very toxic to their employees, so Apple necessarily isn't the bad one. If you want to know more, read Bitwise by David Auerback)

Apple, on the other hand, helped fix the pirating problem with iTunes. Sorry I might seem to be defending Apple, but they did do a lot of things Microsoft (or other companies) did.

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

Just now, kelvinhall05 said:

Because different types of computers for different prices, use cases, etc is all just some big conspiracy for money. Sure.

After a certain point is reached it is a factor of money, you have to remember a company is there to make money, money in this world helps you survive, no one likes being on the survival line.

34 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Transportation has been more of a "pain", at least here in hungary, and also a bit in france (since i lived in both of those country)

Transportation being late has been more of an issue over the years, the amount of people who use it (which in terms of pollution is good, but its not good/comfortable commuting like that), and also generally a dangerous place (fortunately i did not see this problem in hungary, but in france a lot of people do hostile things)

And also (although you might say that's nitpicking) the seats are plastic now!

that sucks, they are not comfortable, ew fuck that shit.

We may have different perspectives as I live in the States right now, and I haven't really been out of state all that much. I feel like this is still too broad of a scope, as transportation is a very generic word. When I used it, I was truly being inclusive of all transportation items. While pollution is definitely a concern, even with electric cars, pollution is still an issue as in a lot of areas, electrical energy is generated from burning fossil fuels. So I don't know if we can really include it as part of the discussion - most of our energy generation really is from fossil fuels, at least here in the states. 

While you're complaining about seats being awful, I think you're also too focused on one thing. Our engines are more efficient than when cars were first created, while making significantly more power. We have heated seats, air conditioning, heaters, electric starters, safety features, etc. As far as the danger is concerned, that can be applied to many things. Even doing something as simple as boiling water can be used in a hostile fashion. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

3 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But you can't deny that it's nice to have choices to account for differing budgets. More people than in the past can have a computer or smartphone. I mean, real talk, if companies only ever offered their highest end product, they would be forced to make a lower end product anyway because people wouldn't be able to afford it. Even if it's a conspiracy to make money, it allows more people to have access to those items. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

But you can't deny that it's nice to have choices to account for differing budgets. More people than in the past can have a computer or smartphone. I mean, real talk, if companies only ever offered their highest end product, they would be forced to make a lower end product anyway because people wouldn't be able to afford it. Even if it's a conspiracy to make money, it allows more people to have access to those items. 

I think a lot is illusionary, such as planning to cut back features a device can handle etc in order to remain in a position to flow with money, one of the great sins is greed.

12 minutes ago, minibois said:

Could you explain further?

From my perspective it's much easier now that say 10-15 years ago.

if I am looking for a community of people now, it's just a as easy as searching a couple terms on my favorite search engine and check out the first couple of results. Those first results are likely a forum, a YouTube channel and maybe a Subreddit (which might have more Subreddits affiliated).

From there I can go further or ask my questions in any of those places.

Compare that to 10-15 years ago, where many of these forums were still in their infancy and didn't have the SEO they have today. Where YouTube channel weren't as big, with as much content (or didn't exist at all still). Same with the Subreddits.

The only thing I would be able to say is more difficult to find now, than 7-10 years ago is a YouTube channel with a tight knit community in the comments, but that is mainly because their size and the way YouTube comments work has changed. Stuff like Discord servers have really altered the way people look for any sort of community.

No longer do you have the days of joining a TeamSpeak server, or a Skype group only to find it non-active, nowadays there are many Discord servers with a ton of people in there.

Of course that does have its downsides, in my opinion it all feels way less personal now. When you join a Discord, it has likely been up for a good couple years now with groups within this server. Finding your way into those is harder, but that is just the nature of how it works.

So you call it the complete opposite, how do you feel like your experience now of finding communities is worse than it was 10-15 years ago (or however long ago you want to reference)?

15 years ago i didnt use the internet, since i was only 2, however i started using it at age 5 (2009) so i will use that as a basis.

I didn't need to find communities, as i was only interested in few things, and mostly those of a nerd/geek.

Gaming was still a big thing on youtube, and i ended up growing up with AVGN/NormalBoots/Hiddenblock (yes i know, probably not a good idea for a 5 year old).

If i needed anything, wikipedia did seem very good even at the time, and still is.

No the only good thing i can attribute is the more time passes, the more likely some documentation is dumped on the internet (like some obscure tech's motherboard)

But since i was mostly interested in the Amiga, Nes, SNES and Megadrive (or genesis for you americans) everything was already there.

And as you say about personal, back then it was cozier, and there was more freedom too.

People (mostly) didn't do it for money but for fun, or recognition.

When i joined some Chatroom, it felt cozy, and i was (almost) immediately accepted as if i knew them for years.

But the biggest problem, is that since content creators have changed, it influenced what people expect, and also influenced new creators.

the first website i used (besides youtube) was Newgrounds, and even that has completely changed, projects aren't as big as before, nor fun, nor interesting.

I know it's a very specific example, but i like to take Newgrounds rumble, it was made in 2007, and since then nothing that came out ON the site has come anywhere close to that.

In conclusion, you are right, communities are easy to find, but it's the behaviour of everyone that changed, as if when it became really mainstream, "normies" took over and forced one way or another for people used to the internet to either change and behave like them, or quit the internet/hide deep.

There have been few sites i found which seem to be unaltered, but either they are very obscure, or they are not community related (for example: zophar.net doesn't have comments of any kind)

The only major exception (somewhat) is 4chan, which even if it has changed quite a bit, still feels like how it did but with new "content"

(well for the main board)

23 minutes ago, Tan3l6 said:

I think it was simple times and living standard in my country was lower, considering today.

90's-2010's had a great spell in movies/films....,.....,..

where are you from?

Also, what movies are you talking about? From your country or foreign or english?

I had no internet when i was a child, i had not really used the internet properly for a length of time until i built my first computer in 2010.

I was born in 1990.

4 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

where are you from?

Also, what movies are you talking about? From your country or foreign or english?

From northeastern Europe...

There are surely good movies after 2010's, but there also are more movies, period. The percentage of good movies have lowered in that aspect I believe.

Movies in english ofc.

I edit my posts more often than not

Absolutely massive mehhh. I can't think of literally a single thing that was better even 5 years ago, let alone 20. Definitely wouldn't wanna go back in time, even if I was paid a billion euros for it.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

19 minutes ago, wall03 said:

-Much higher resolution displays (also more color)

-Cleaner software interfaces

-Lower prices on faster hardware

-Music streaming services are a thing nowadays

-Faster internet

-Better games (in my opinion)

-Memes

-Rick rolls

-More efficient kitchen appliances (I'm looking at you: fridge!)

-Shopping online

-More information accessible to the public at faster speeds (Yes, Wikipedia was made before 2000, but it's arguably better nowadays)

-Much higher resolution displays (also more color)

Yeah sure i can give you that.

-Cleaner software interfaces

Not always, sometimes quite the contrary

-Lower prices on faster hardware

Yeah that's obvious, but that's always going to be the case (except that one time with AMD)

-Music streaming services are a thing nowadays

Yes, and its fucking shit

-Faster internet

Not for me, me and my 4mbps from 2006 are still here (and actually i only got this speed in 2010, before it was dial up, ew)

-Better games (in my opinion)

Apart from Hitman Blood money can't think of anything (except Deus ex but i'd call that a 90s games)

-Memes

All your base are belong to us was good, other than that Memes are the biggest degeneracy i've ever seen in my life

-Rick rolls

Okay, trolling was always fun, but this is just a fad and trolling back then was also a thing, actually quite a bit funnier since caller id was not a thing nd prank calling was great

-More efficient kitchen appliances (I'm looking at you: fridge!)

Unless you live in some 3rd world country, that's not the case, sometimes older technology could actually perform more functions 

For example: This Toaster or This Microwave

MAYBE and i say JUST MAYBE there is some efficiency in cooling and thus consume less electricity but otherwise no, we still have a freezer from the late 80s (AND its not a "Western" it's one of them ussr ones) that still does its job very well.

-Shopping online

Amazon and ebay have been around for ages, and also, i don't shop a lot as i'm poor and a minimalist who doesn't need to buy things.

-More information accessible to the public at faster speeds (Yes, Wikipedia was made before 2000, but it's arguably better nowadays)

"faster speeds" text comes quite quickly even with a modem, and even back in 2000 wikipedia was decent, but in the worst case i could always open Encarta or even open the Britannica encyclopedia.

2 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

15 years ago i didnt use the internet, since i was only 2, however i started using it at age 5 (2009) so i will use that as a basis.

????

your post has been made on the idea of things being better in the 90's/early 2000's ("(circa the turn of the millennia)")

And if you're going to say "well movies/games/etc. from then were better" you're basically admitting today is the best time to be alive, because you can experience movies from today, yesterday, 10 years ago, etc.

5 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

And as you say about personal, back then it was cozier, and there was more freedom too.

That just sounds like you being a younger person, not thing being different years ago.

5 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

In conclusion, you are right, communities are easy to find, but it's the behaviour of everyone that changed, as if when it became really mainstream, "normies" took over and forced one way or another for people used to the internet to either change and behave like them, or quit the internet/hide deep.

"normies" definitely took over the internet long before 2009 and there are still a lot of smaller communities of enthusiasts in all subjects out there.

What I think you're experiencing right now is just nostalgia.

Nostalgia to when you were first discovering the internet, online communities and enjoying the first movies you watched.

Of course you're going to remember the best things from all of these things, forgetting any negative experience which you just didn't remember.

8 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

I know it's a very specific example, but i like to take Newgrounds rumble, it was made in 2007, and since then nothing that came out ON the site has come anywhere close to that.

there's a funny copypasta about that, which starts with "Newgrounds was funny when we were all twelve, living in the sub-urbs.." and it goes on. Really funny to hear Pan Pizza from Rebel Taxi say all of it!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

28 minutes ago, WaggishOhio383 said:

Honestly, that doesn't sound too bad to me. As much as I enjoy the benefits of modern technology, I'm not overly attached to it. I could function without it and be perfectly happy. I already love messing around with old tech anyway. And the 90s had some great video games (not just games that came out in the 90s, but also 80s and prior games that would still be accessible).

another thing

if i hook up my n64 to a crt, it still looks nice and plays nice

if i hook it up to my 4k tv EW WTF IS THAT AAAAAAAA

And since i still like old games, but i do like that 4k resolution, i emulate and upscale, and i admit emulation has gone a long way since 2000.

But then again back then i wouldnt emulate but play on a CRT

26 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

But this is somewhat untrue, and even then i grew up in a country that (at the time) was late on the rest of the world.

Things that were trendy in the late 90s in the western world were trendy for us in the late 00s

4 minutes ago, Lord Szechenyi said:

Unless you live in some 3rd world country, that's not the case, sometimes older technology could actually perform more functions 

https://www.energystar.gov/products/appliances/refrigerators

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

34 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

The real problem is people getting offended by sarcasm.

triggered.png

But seriously, the main problem is identifying it really. The internet isn't limited to people you know or people that have similar understanding as yours, making a sarcastic comment is better with a /s at the end, since, you know, interpretation (what you think is a funny quip can be interpreted as a personal attack by others).

oh, and thread cleaned BTW.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

27 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

you completely missed the point, but whatever

I would gladly go backwards in tech if it meant doing it again without the suicide nets around the iphone factory. Oh and we had smart phones in the 90s. They were called PDAs. I'm still rocking my 80's smart watch This Casio Calculator Watch Is Better Than Apple Watch ...

On 11/25/2020 at 4:00 PM, Lord Szechenyi said:

-snipped by moderator-

That's due to where you live, i live in England, there are other ways people do it now but getting revenge or showing them you are boss of yourself is harder now as "victimhood" is chosen rather than being respectful.

Edited by colonel_mortis