Anyone interested in cars? (OFF TOPIC!)

OK, bit of an odd one, but here goes.

I study Automotive Design at university, im 1st year, so dont expect anything special!

Usually we get fairly closed briefs, for example: design a B-Segment car that will fit 5 people, for this brand inspires buy this blah blah whatever.

This time, the brief is much more open: 

(COPY/PASTED)  "Imagine something that is speed inspired; it could be anything from the Human world or the animal kingdom.

The vehicle that you will produce will be attractive sleek and aerodynamic.

You have got total freedom in the choice, it could be a rocket a spaceship or a train does not matter the only restriction is that it has to be related to a brand, but even here you are free of choice."

So there we have it. Now let it be clear, im not super into sports cars and supercars like my class mates, more interested in off roaders and more conventional cars.

Also i will be doing a road vehicle, so no planes trains etc.

Come up with suggestions and i might choose one to design! I was thinking a Le Mans car like the Audi R10/15/18, but im open for suggestions!

The deadline is really close, and i have a bunch of others so i will be rushed, so my work wont be great quality, but if its any decent i can post it here if anyone wants!

Previous work: http://garyjpaterson.deviantart.com/

3770K | GTX970 | 16GB DDR3 | Corsair RM750

P4/5 looks good

http://imgur.com/g7kTVpQ.jpg

As well as the Hennessey Venom GT

http://imgur.com/gWdg3N1.jpg

LinusTechTips Livestream ModTeam

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

P4/5 looks good

http://imgur.com/g7kTVpQ.jpg

As well as the Hennessey Venom GT

http://imgur.com/gWdg3N1.jpg

Both do look cool, but can you think of an older car that you'd like to see a modern interpretation of? Or maybe a type of racing vehicle and your favourite car brand?

Ford GT......looks the same over the past 40 years

BUILD - i7-3770K @4.7GHz - Asus Maximus V Formula - Corsair Dominator Platinum - CM Storm Trooper w/ side window - Asus Matrix HD7970 Platinum - Corsair HX1050 - CM Storm Quick Fire TK BLUE - Razer Ourobours - Custom Loop

I do car photography during the summer season and I can get absolutely lost in the JDM classics. The Nissan Silvia is one of my personal favourites, and I'm very happy to hear that a new version of this is rumoured to be unveiled soon. :) An every mans race car. Here's a bit of inspiration (and shameless self-promotion), hope you can use it. :)

Silvia RS13

Silvia S14A

I like muscle cars. I dream of owning a Boss 302 or a GT500 someday even though I'll probably end up with a GT at best. I just love the raw sound those machines dish out. 

Desert Storm PC | Corsair 600T | ASUS Sabertooth 990FX AM3+ | AMD FX-8350 | MSI 7950 TFIII | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 | Seasonic X650W I Samsung 840 series 500GB SSD

Mobile Devices I ASUS Zenbook UX31E I Nexus 7 (2013) I Nexus 5 32GB (red)

lamborghini-aventador-White-2012-Lamborg

Yes please. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

since you like offroads i though pikes peaks would be cool to do

my fav is this one - actually know the old race manager

1996_Suzuk_Escudo_Pikes_Peak_26006.jpg

Its all about those volumetric clouds

Ok, turns out we (everyone in my class) misinterpreted the brief :L

We are supposed to take a car (or whatever) and use that as inspiration to create a shape or form inspired by speed.

So its going to be a lot less exciting, as the finished product will be a speedy blob.

Thanks for suggestions though!

Car audio anyone?

My profile pic is the game i'm currently playing. I hope i remember to change it..

Car audio anyone?

.... -_-

Ok, turns out we (everyone in my class) misinterpreted the brief :L

We are supposed to take a car (or whatever) and use that as inspiration to create a shape or form inspired by speed.

So its going to be a lot less exciting, as the finished product will be a speedy blob.

Thanks for suggestions though!

I have no idea what you are actually trying to do but when one says "speed inspired shapes", I think:

5744714027_8be8ccb575.jpg

http://www.flickriver.com/photos/egarage_com/sets/72157626650777519/

or

D-Type-Jaguar-2.jpg

Jaguar D-Type

Both cars were born into racing. It was the best car shape era in history in my opinion. They both look like blobs? :unsure:

Best of luck with whatever it is you have to do. :)

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

I love cars, one of the main reasons why I studied automotive maintenance and repair, the college courses took me 5 years in total and I've been 3 years unemployed because the UK sucks ass.

Thank you United Kingdom, thank you for nothing you useless b******s.

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

im not into the big super cars i like cars that are known as "wolf in sheeps clothing" which means the car looks big and heavy but the second you push the pedal the thing sticks you to your seat im a big fan of the Audi A6 and Audi Q7 there gorgeus cars and have an absolute beast of an engine in them

Yes, you're right smjpl.

Id pick a car just like the ones you suggested, the begin to sketch out the body. Real simple, just getting us to understand the form, and learn how to convey that onto paper.

This thread was fairly pointless :P but i'll chuck in a car for a separate project that i just finished! Totally NOT inspired by speed but whatever :)

EDIT* Btw im not a huge Apple fan, it was part of the brief!  ;) Wouldnt typically design a car like this!

srJnYjV.jpg

Edited by garyjpaterson

since you like offroads i though pikes peaks would be cool to do

my fav is this one - actually know the old race manager

1996_Suzuk_Escudo_Pikes_Peak_26006.jpg

Almost 1,000bhp from a small V6 engine, pretty epic:)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Almost 1,000bhp from a small V6 engine, pretty epic:)

didnt it have like 4 turbos to help combat the increase in altitude

Its all about those volumetric clouds

didnt it have like 4 turbos to help combat the increase in altitude

I can't remember but two quite large turbocahrgers should do the trick, any skilled race driver keeps the engines revs high to avoid turbolag, the altitude shouldn't really be an issue because they aren't that high for it to be an issue I don't think.

Sweet Datsun:)

Here is what I'd like, a nice Holden HX Ute with preferably a V8 lol

29766330001_large.jpg

I can't remember but two quite large turbocahrgers should do the trick, any skilled race driver keeps the engines revs high to avoid turbolag, the altitude shouldn't really be an issue because they aren't that high for it to be an issue I don't think.

During the race the elevation change will be 4700ft, they'll end at 14110 ft. This will correspond to a drop in percentage of O2 in the air from 14,6% to 12,2%, which equates to a 14,6% drop. Simple logic tells me that for a sort of "normal" naturally aspirated engine, the drop should mirror this nicely (seeing as it's the oxygen that makes the engine go bang). Now, I'm not an expert on this, and I can't be bothered to check with a book, so don't come crying to me if you fail your thermodynamics exam because of my reasoning here.

Now, I'm not entirely sure how they'd map a highly tuned turbocharged race engine like the one in the Escudo with respects to turboboost etc, but we have two possible limiting factors to the output as I se it: Either the size of the bang which the engine can cope with. Or it can be the mean cylinder pressure (or mean effective pressure) which limits how much turboboost the engine can take. The latter won't allow them to compensate for the decreasing amounts of O2. The first option, how ever, should enable them to stay at a constant power figure throughout the entire climb (neglecting the changing static pressures, but i don't think we should even take that in to account, as tuning an engine to the level where that would be a factor would be just pure stupid in a race situation).

Conclusion: I'm guessing that the escudo does have some decrease in power during the climb.

You should definitely take a look at doing a modern take of a '67 Fiat Dino!