Desktop Window Manager using 30% of my gpu and killing performance in games

DevilsHand676

Desktop Windows Manger uses 30% of my 2070S and kills fps in any games I play. I have my drivers and windows to the most recent update. I've disabled hardware acceleration in windows but that makes my computer stutter and lag like crazy.

CPU- Ryzen 9 3900x
CPU Cooler- Artic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm
GPU-  EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC ULTRA
RAM- CORSAIR VENGEANCE RGB PRO 32GB 3200Mhz 
PSU- Cooler Master MasterWatt 650 Watt
HDD- WD Blue 4TB
SSD- SanDisk Ultra II 500GB SATA III
Case- Custom Made Desk
Motherboard- ASUS ROG Strix B450-F Gaming

Microphone- Blue Snowball Ice
Headphones- Razer Nari Ultimate
Webcam- Logitech c270
Monitors- MSI Optix MAG24C and Acer KA240HQ Abid
Mouse- Corsair Nightsword RGB
Keyboard- Corsair K95 RGB Platinum MX Speed

10 minutes ago, DevilsHand676 said:

Desktop Windows Manger uses 30% of my 2070S and kills fps in any games I play. I have my drivers and windows to the most recent update. I've disabled hardware acceleration in windows but that makes my computer stutter and lag like crazy.

Desktop window manager is exactly what it says - if it's using a lot of GPU that means some visible windows or desktop elements are updating frequently which is causing it to repaint and do a lot of stuff. If you're running at a high resolution or have DPI scaling at anything other than 100%, or run games in windowed mode / borderless window or have any desktop overlays, screen capture stuff going etc... This is all going to put load on your dwm which translates to bandwidth consumption, rop saturation etc...

Edit: Also make sure this is actually an issue, is your card actually running at proper clocks when playing games or is it stuck at a super low frequency. This is a power saving mode, and if your dwm is using 30% of your GPU but your GPU is running at like 100MHz to preserve power then that's all fine. Could be that the card isn't ramping up when you hit it with a load. Check drivers in this case.

TLDR; DWM using a lot of GPU is a symptom issue.

Platform agnostic software engineer & small business owner.