New to PC building and put together a 1080p 144hz build, thoughts on the GPU & if I should swap it?

Koalmax

Is the list I have together so far, I'm just iffy on the GPU and whether or not I should swap it out or not.

Anyone have any opinions on what I chose? Budget is preferably under $1300, any other part advice is helpful too.

There was a time when the recommended PSU size for a 5700xt was 650w.   There are people who think that is high, especially if the PSU is of good quality.  The new crop of GPUs has not gotten to cards that works well at lower resolutions like 1080p yet so the only current option is older cards.  I expect this to change pretty soon. I’ve been a champion of waiting for the new cards, which is something I’ve been doing myself, but I’ve been waiting for a year, and the launches have been first heavily delayed, then did not contain adequate product.   There is talk that Jan/feb 2021 may see adequate amounts of product, but the whole thing is starting to feel kind of “mañana” to me.  

The 5700xt is more of a 3.5k card than a 4k card, but 1080p@60 is only 1k, so for 1080p@60 or 1080p@144 (2k) it’s perhaps overkill. It would depend on the game.  The next cars down would be a 5700 which might be worth looking at.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

4 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

There was a time when the recommended PSU size for a 5700xt was 650w.   There are people who think that is high, especially if the PSU is of good quality.  The new crop of GPUs has not gotten to cards that works well at lower resolutions like 1080p yet so the only current option is older cards.  I expect this to change pretty soon. I’ve been a champion of waiting for the new cards, which is something I’ve been doing myself, but I’ve been waiting for a year, and the launches have been first heavily delayed, then did not contain adequate product.   There is talk that Jan/feb 2021 may see adequate amounts of product, but the whole thing is starting to feel kind of “mañana” to me.  

The 5700xt is more of a 3.5k card than a 4k card, but 1080p@60 is only 1k, so for 1080p@60 or 1080p@144 (2k) it’s perhaps overkill. It would depend on the game.  The next cars down would be a 5700 which might be worth looking at.

Thanks my man, I'll take a look into the benchmarks with a 5700 - really appreciate the advice.

Was there anything about other parts in the build that seems like it could use improvement or is it good? 

11 minutes ago, Koalmax said:

Thanks my man, I'll take a look into the benchmarks with a 5700 - really appreciate the advice.

Was there anything about other parts in the build that seems like it could use improvement or is it good? 

There might possibly be adjustments based on what is available or cheap but that stuff seems to change without warning.  The GPU and PSU stuff seemed like the only bit to me that looked like it needed addressing.

Digging kind of deep, One thing that might be worth checking is if that SSD is actually m key.  There were at one time some WD blue m.2 drives that were m&b key and they were limited to sata6 speeds. That’s sort of marginal though as even that speed won’t affect game play materially currently. Plus they may no longer even be sold.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.