GTX 1080 will not downclock at idle

SOCOM_HERO

Recently started having an issue where my Gigashite GTX 1080 G1 8G is not downclocking at idle. I haven't run any of their software in ages because it is terrible. I only use MSI afterburner for OC. I've had the card for a few years now and only recently have started to notice this issue over the last few months. I don't think it is a driver issue.

I've reset the card to stock in Afterburner, tried Adaptive and Optimal power settings in Nvidia Control Panel and nothing changes.

Card is sitting at 49* at idle with 1% usage and 1695MHz core 850mV. Fans at about 20%, but this card has auto fan stop and that's what I want to see - fans 0% at idle.

No idea why I've just started to notice it, but it is a bit concerning. System specs in my signature.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

Does it bother you?

Unless you want its temps to go down/causes other temps to go up, I'd leave it.

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Does it bother you?

Unless you want its temps to go down/causes other temps to go up, I'd leave it.

Only because it used to downclock and fan stop. I barely even game anymore, but it is just offputting knowing this thing is sitting at gaming clocks and power consumption while doing nothing.

Delid 8600K @ 5GHz | Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 7 | 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB | Gigabyte GTX 1080 Gaming G1 | Phantex Enthoo Pro M SE | Samsung 850 EVO 500GB | Crucial MX100 256GB | 3TB Toshiba P300 | Corsair AX750 Custom Sleeved | Dell U2515H | Custom Hardline Tubing: EK Supremacy + 240 Coolstream PE + DDC 3.1 Pump Res Combo/Extended Res/Meyhems Pastel White | Corsair K95 Platinum | Corsair M65 RGB | Bose Speakers + Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro + AKG K240 MkII + Shure 840 | W10 Pro | https://pcpartpicker.com/user/socom_hero/saved/#view=NF74CJ

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Ah. The noise and energy waste?

Yeah, I can see that.

Maybe you could set it to fold when you're not using it to make use of those higher clockspeeds.

lol perhaps, but then it would really be cookin' with gas. When this thing folds I tend to get coil whine and it will churn out some heat then.

I looked around before creating this thread and didn't find a lot of help on how to fix this. I may try a DDU wipe and reinstall. I will probably start by uninstalling afterburner and letting it get back to true stock speeds as even Afterburner can affect some settings at "stock".

try using task manager to eliminate any programs that are utilizing the gpu, this usually does the trick for me.

Removed Afterburner

Restarted, nothing changed.

Used DDU in safe mode.

Restarted, still have RTX Voice installed (no longer works due to drivers removed) - yes this is a GTX card, but RTX voice does work on it... I will find out if that is the cause shortly.

FANS STOPPED, DOWNCLOCKS WORKING!

Will now re-install drivers and see if I get the issue again. If so, I'll remove RTX voice and see if that fixes it. If so, I'll probably keep RTX voice around, just have it set not to start on windows startup.

Update to come...

editL

It's a combo of RTX voice and probably a driver issue. Reinstalling drivers seems to have helped. I don't really need afterburner as I'm not gaming much these days. I'll disable RTX voice on startup and should be good to go from there.