gigabyte z490 ud ac voltage spikes causing temp issues (I think)

I built a new computer a few days ago and I am having terrible thermals from my i7 10700k. 

Cooler is a Deepcool Castle 240EX

I have set the bios to default everything except for XMP for the ram. 

The default voltage is 1.26, but I see spikes up to 1.35 while playing games or running things like cinebench. 

I regularly hit 90+ on some cores while playing games. Its kinda stressing me out. 

I have already replaced the thermal compound with some arctic 5 and saw minimal changes. 

If anyone has a clue whats going on please let me know. I am completely lost on how badly this system is dealing with heat. I have even tried running with no front or side panel. The CPU still instantly hits 90s and 1.35 volts while testing. 

When you say you set the BIOS to default did you do that manually or did you reset CMOS?

I don't own one of these or anything on LGA1200 so I don't have a reference voltage but based on what I'm seeing online for the i7 10700k people are referring to 1.35V as an O.C. voltage not as a CPU boost voltage.

CPU boost is normal. the system dynamically increases clock speed and power as needed for demanding applications. If you configure a manual O.C. though or use some auto-O.C. tool it will push the boost voltage beyond stock and with that comes higher temperatures.

You can also double-check your cooler. Any sticker on the bottom you forgot to peel off? Is the pump running/plugged in? Verify good mounting pressure?

5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When you say you set the BIOS to default did you do that manually or did you reset CMOS?

I don't own one of these or anything on LGA1200 so I don't have a reference voltage but based on what I'm seeing online for the i7 10700k people are referring to 1.35V as an O.C. voltage not as a CPU boost voltage.

CPU boost is normal. the system dynamically increases clock speed and power as needed for demanding applications. If you configure a manual O.C. though or use some auto-O.C. tool it will push the boost voltage beyond stock and with that comes higher temperatures.

You can also double-check your cooler. Any sticker on the bottom you forgot to peel off? Is the pump running/plugged in? Verify good mounting pressure?

I reset the bios to defaults and only enabled XMP. Havent gone as far as pulling cmos, but I could do that. 

I already completely pulled off the cooler and reapplied better paste just to make sure. Temps barely changed. 

1 minute ago, Majorllama said:

I reset the bios to defaults and only enabled XMP. Havent gone as far as pulling cmos, but I could do that. 

I already completely pulled off the cooler and reapplied better paste just to make sure. Temps barely changed. 

Sometimes motherboards have a reset button. For may years motherboards have had a 2 pin jumper where you shutdown the computer. Move the jumper over 1 pin. Wait a few seconds. Put it back then start the computer. You don't have to pull the battery.

Do you have an air cooler or any other cooler for that matter that fits the socket handy?

23 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Sometimes motherboards have a reset button. For may years motherboards have had a 2 pin jumper where you shutdown the computer. Move the jumper over 1 pin. Wait a few seconds. Put it back then start the computer. You don't have to pull the battery.

Do you have an air cooler or any other cooler for that matter that fits the socket handy?

No other coolers handy sadly. I shipped off my old system to a friend before I really tested this one haha. Live and learn I guess. 

1-Check if any auto overlock is set, in MSI is called Game Boost.

2-If not, just set Vcore to a stable value around 1.2 something.

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium

38 minutes ago, EspinalAndres said:

1-Check if any auto overlock is set, in MSI is called Game Boost.

2-If not, just set Vcore to a stable value around 1.2 something.

Its a gigabyte board. No overclock. I just reset cmos. Only setting changed was XMP. 

While doing nothing voltage has already spiked to 1.32. 

CPU is spiking to 70 while just sitting on desktop with chrome and discord open. Average is ~40ish, but the spikes is voltage and temp worry me. 

image.thumb.png.1eeca849a502650c3a6ca8065ee335a7.png
Here are the temp and voltages and all that good stuff after one run of cinebench r20

Try setting the voltage manually to your desire value and test if that helps with temperatures, if so, you will know for sure is because the Vcore .

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

MSI z490 tomahawk

MSI 1070TI titanium

39 minutes ago, EspinalAndres said:

Try setting the voltage manually to your desire value and test if that helps with temperatures, if so, you will know for sure is because the Vcore .

See and there lies the second issue. No matter what I set the cpu will still pull ~1.35 at random. Ive tried to lock it at lower vcore and itll still do it. Part of me thinks im missing something on this board. 

16 hours ago, Majorllama said:

See and there lies the second issue. No matter what I set the cpu will still pull ~1.35 at random. Ive tried to lock it at lower vcore and itll still do it. Part of me thinks im missing something on this board. 

yes, you also need to change one setting to fix the voltage.

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

MSI z490 tomahawk

MSI 1070TI titanium

• 3 months later...
On 11/25/2020 at 1:14 AM, Majorllama said:

image.thumb.png.1eeca849a502650c3a6ca8065ee335a7.png
Here are the temp and voltages and all that good stuff after one run of cinebench r20

I have similiar temperatures with i5 10600k, when I'm using AVX with throttling about 10%, and 95C max, only with prime95. Are you solved this issue?

I set vcore from Auto to Normal, now the temperatures are lower and bias -0.05V (option below). The temperature is now about 85 in Prime95 test.

Edited by cooltronic