Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

gigabyte z490 ud ac voltage spikes causing temp issues (I think)

I built a new computer a few days ago and I am having terrible thermals from my i7 10700k. 

Cooler is a Deepcool Castle 240EX

I have set the bios to default everything except for XMP for the ram. 

The default voltage is 1.26, but I see spikes up to 1.35 while playing games or running things like cinebench. 

I regularly hit 90+ on some cores while playing games. Its kinda stressing me out. 
 

I have already replaced the thermal compound with some arctic 5 and saw minimal changes. 

If anyone has a clue whats going on please let me know. I am completely lost on how badly this system is dealing with heat. I have even tried running with no front or side panel. The CPU still instantly hits 90s and 1.35 volts while testing. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

When you say you set the BIOS to default did you do that manually or did you reset CMOS?

 

I don't own one of these or anything on LGA1200 so I don't have a reference voltage but based on what I'm seeing online for the i7 10700k people are referring to 1.35V as an O.C. voltage not as a CPU boost voltage.

 

CPU boost is normal. the system dynamically increases clock speed and power as needed for demanding applications. If you configure a manual O.C. though or use some auto-O.C. tool it will push the boost voltage beyond stock and with that comes higher temperatures.

 

You can also double-check your cooler. Any sticker on the bottom you forgot to peel off? Is the pump running/plugged in? Verify good mounting pressure?

Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

 

In the Queue:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

When you say you set the BIOS to default did you do that manually or did you reset CMOS?

 

I don't own one of these or anything on LGA1200 so I don't have a reference voltage but based on what I'm seeing online for the i7 10700k people are referring to 1.35V as an O.C. voltage not as a CPU boost voltage.

 

CPU boost is normal. the system dynamically increases clock speed and power as needed for demanding applications. If you configure a manual O.C. though or use some auto-O.C. tool it will push the boost voltage beyond stock and with that comes higher temperatures.

 

You can also double-check your cooler. Any sticker on the bottom you forgot to peel off? Is the pump running/plugged in? Verify good mounting pressure?

I reset the bios to defaults and only enabled XMP. Havent gone as far as pulling cmos, but I could do that. 

I already completely pulled off the cooler and reapplied better paste just to make sure. Temps barely changed. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Majorllama said:

I reset the bios to defaults and only enabled XMP. Havent gone as far as pulling cmos, but I could do that. 

I already completely pulled off the cooler and reapplied better paste just to make sure. Temps barely changed. 

 

Sometimes motherboards have a reset button. For may years motherboards have had a 2 pin jumper where you shutdown the computer. Move the jumper over 1 pin. Wait a few seconds. Put it back then start the computer. You don't have to pull the battery.

 

Do you have an air cooler or any other cooler for that matter that fits the socket handy?

Guides & Tutorials:

How To: Remotely Access a Computer, Server, or NAS

How To: Access Remote Systems at Home/Work Securely from Anywhere with Pritunl

How to Format Storage Devices in Windows 10

A How-To: Drive Sharing in Windows 10

VFIO GPU Pass-though w/ Looking Glass KVM on Ubuntu 19.04

A How-To Guide: Building a Rudimentary Disk Enclosure

Three Methods to Resetting a Windows Login Password

A Beginners Guide to Debian CLI Based File Servers

 

Guide/Tutorial in Progress:

How to Use Memtest86 to Diagnose RAM Errors

 

In the Queue:

iPXE Network Booting to an iSCSI Target

 

Don't see what you need? Check the Full List or *PM me, if I haven't made it I'll add it to the list.

*NOTE: I'll only add it to the list if the request is something I know I can do.

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

Sometimes motherboards have a reset button. For may years motherboards have had a 2 pin jumper where you shutdown the computer. Move the jumper over 1 pin. Wait a few seconds. Put it back then start the computer. You don't have to pull the battery.

 

Do you have an air cooler or any other cooler for that matter that fits the socket handy?

No other coolers handy sadly. I shipped off my old system to a friend before I really tested this one haha. Live and learn I guess. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

1-Check if any auto overlock is set, in MSI is called Game Boost.

 

2-If not, just set Vcore to a stable value around 1.2 something.

 

 

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium

Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, EspinalAndres said:

1-Check if any auto overlock is set, in MSI is called Game Boost.

 

2-If not, just set Vcore to a stable value around 1.2 something.

 

 

Its a gigabyte board. No overclock. I just reset cmos. Only setting changed was XMP. 

While doing nothing voltage has already spiked to 1.32. 

CPU is spiking to 70 while just sitting on desktop with chrome and discord open. Average is ~40ish, but the spikes is voltage and temp worry me. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

image.thumb.png.1eeca849a502650c3a6ca8065ee335a7.png
Here are the temp and voltages and all that good stuff after one run of cinebench r20

Link to post
Share on other sites

Try setting the voltage manually to your desire value and test if that helps with temperatures, if so, you will know for sure is because the Vcore .

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium

Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, EspinalAndres said:

Try setting the voltage manually to your desire value and test if that helps with temperatures, if so, you will know for sure is because the Vcore .

See and there lies the second issue. No matter what I set the cpu will still pull ~1.35 at random. Ive tried to lock it at lower vcore and itll still do it. Part of me thinks im missing something on this board. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Majorllama said:

See and there lies the second issue. No matter what I set the cpu will still pull ~1.35 at random. Ive tried to lock it at lower vcore and itll still do it. Part of me thinks im missing something on this board. 

 

yes, you also need to change one setting to fix the voltage.

i7 10700k @ 5.05 Ghz

Corsair H100i pro XT 240mm

MSI z490 tomahawk

16 Gb (2 x 8 GB) Patriot Viper Steel - 4000mhz - 16-16-16-34

MSI 1070TI titanium

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×