Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best budget speakers for movie watching and gaming

I'm a complete noob when it comes to audio equipment, so I can't go into much detail on what I'm after, unfortunately. I'm trying to find some budget speaker setup for movie watching and gaming on the Sony x900f which I'm using as a monitor.

I live in a small apartment and they won't be used to play anything extremely loud, I'm just trying to find something that's gonna be a solid improvement over the x900f speakers for $100 or less if possible. So far I've seen a few people recommend Microlab Solo 6C, which are a bit over budget in my area, but maybe I'll settle on them if there's nothing better for the price.Would I require any extra equipment with the Solo 6C or can they be used with the PC on their own?

Like I said I don't know much about audio so I'd prefer something punchy and bombastic rather than extremely accurate and realistic if that makes sense. Also, size is a constraint at the moment so the smaller the setup the better, especially cable-wise.

Edifier R1280T. They have tone controls so you can up the bass if that's what you prefer. I'd recommend setting them on stands or foam pads/blocks, because they can sound wooden/boxy sitting directly on a desk. 

3 minutes ago, geo3 said:

Edifier R1280T. They have tone controls so you can up the bass if that's what you prefer. I'd recommend setting them on stands or foam pads/blocks, because they can sound wooden/boxy sitting directly on a desk. 

They are a bit more than the Microlab in price, $140 the lowest I can find. Are there any others of similar quality for up to a $100 or are they a big jump in quality from the cheaper ones? 

6 minutes ago, durrburger said:

They are a bit more than the Microlab in price, $140 the lowest I can find. Are there any others of similar quality for up to a $100 or are they a big jump in quality from the cheaper ones? 

They should be $99.

1 minute ago, geo3 said:

They should be $99.

Not in Serbia sadly, in stores they go for $150+, resellers at $140.

Controversial but I think those cheap logitech 5.1 systems punch well above their weight class, I have one on my TV currently.

Obviously I have much nicer speakers for music listening and my PC but they were either custom built or secondhand purchases of great studio gear for a stupid price so unless you're willing to go secondhand and wait for a deal on studio monitors or build your own the logitech surround systems are a great alternative.

Sloth's the name, audio gear is the game
My Microphone and Interface tips and recommendations

May I recommended second hand market. 
I dont know what it is about the brand KRK but they make decent speakers which fail at holding their price on the second hand market.

Have a look for KRK rokit on ebay or craigslist or what ever is the second hand marketplace. Most will go around 150 to 200 mark but occasionally there is a hidden gem at 100 region.

Get something like the KRK rokit 5 inch Generation 3 at around 120 130 mark and youve made the steal of century. Thats a lot of speaker for not a lot of money.