$4000 Gaming PC Part Feedback

zackyboymonkey

Budget (including currency):  $4000 USD

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Cyberpunk 2077, RDR2, Path of Exile

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

This PC will be bought entirely new. I have a previous post that gets more specific but here is the gist of it: I have saved up money to buy my first PC and would like to be able to run games at 4k and have a second monitor that is high refresh rate. I am upgrading from a laptop that I've had for over 5 years. Here is what I have made so far but if there is any ways to improve it or any tips it would be appreciated.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/zackyboymonkey/saved/9mR78d

If you're only gaming, and you're gaming @4k, I would:
 - swap out that 5900X for a 5600X - as far as I can see in any review, it's gonna make less than 1% difference. 

- wait to see what the 6900xt (nice) can do - unless you'd wanna have Raytracing and DLSS on - even then, performance will tank with Raytracing, as far as I understand Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus' latest comments on it... Maybe get that and spend the budget from the CPU downgrade there... the AMD cards also have so much more VRAM, because of your previous system, a 5yo laptop, and you spending 4 grand on it, I'd asume you'd wanna keep this for more than 2-3 years? In that case, I'd go for the higher VRAM, Hardware Unboxed said they were already seeing titles locking up more than 8 gigs - that's really close to the 10, but nowhere near the 16 you'd get on the 6900xt or even 6800xt, which is damn near equivalent to the 3080 in rasterization performance anyway, and it costs less... 

- if you are going for the raytracing option, stick with the 3080 and maybe upgrade the 4k monitor to 120 hertz or better - 60 is gonna look really slow, if you're playing on the second monitor in fast paced games, A faster 4k monitor would also enable you to run it at a lower resolution with DLSS and get the higher frames needed - then you don't have to spend too much on that secondary screen, just get something for YT and whatever you'd wanna run on the side. (As a very personal note, which I have nothing but myself to quote on: 32" is epic compared to 27", especially for 4k. I'm running 1440p 32"144hz, up from 1440p 27"100hz, it's night and day to me. Not so much the refresh (I "only" have a 1080ti), but the size... oh! yeah! :D) - or even consider a single ultrawide instead @120hz or higher, again, just what I'd do if I had the money, for games like you mention - other games that requires the higher FPS, if you get one that's 1440 on the vertical, you can run at regular 2560x1440 and get the horsepower to drive up the frames, like you would with the secondary 1440p display)

- That RAM looks nice, but as far as I understand Gamers Nexus and Buildzoid, with RAM speeds on Ryzen, it's close to useless going above 3800mhz, because the Infinity Fabric needs to run 1:1 with the actual ram speed (in the case of 3800 ram, they'd run 1900:1900 bacuase ram is DDR). Running RAM at higher clocks will tank the performance, unless you're broodforcing CPU clockspeeds with LN2 or something like that... Better get 3600 or 3800 with lower timings. I think Buildzoid was talking about kits running 3800 cl14, which will give you a noticeable leg up from not running 1:1 with IF and that loose timings... I'd even maybe see if I could get 2x16 for the same price. Notice: From what Buildzoid says, 3600 cl16 is garbage (but he is an extreme mem overclocker, so... whatever that's worth). But anyway: 3600 cl14, would be my pick... 

- that license for Win10 is super superflous! Grab on from SCDKeys or a place like that. I've build more than 15 systems over the past year and a half, never had a problem with them... it is a little finicky to get to the actual  purpose, but it can save you 80% of the price, which can be put to good use... 

- is there a specific reason you wanna go X570? Maybe look into B550, Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed and Buildzoid (Actual Hardcore Overclocking is his channels name) are great resources to check which ones are good or not... Again, saving you some money to upgrade to a better GPU or more/better RAM or better 4k monitor... 

The cpu seems messed up to me: 5600x for $600?

5xxx infinity cache is apparently quite variable in speed so it is possible faster memory could be used.  Hard to know till it is in hand though.

there has been mention that the official PSU requirement for the 3080 can be low because it measures average load, and modern CPUs and GPUs can have occasional very high transient loads. This might imply a larger PSU.  Not sure.  2 large monitors of unequal ppi imply possible future problems if they both want to be used at once on a single desktop.  I understand there are software work around a though.  In either case that’s a lot of pixels to push. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

18 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

If you're only gaming, and you're gaming @4k, I would:
 - swap out that 5900X for a 5600X - as far as I can see in any review, it's gonna make less than 1% difference. 

- wait to see what the 6900xt (nice) can do - unless you'd wanna have Raytracing and DLSS on - even then, performance will tank with Raytracing, as far as I understand Hardware Unboxed and Gamers Nexus' latest comments on it... Maybe get that and spend the budget from the CPU downgrade there... the AMD cards also have so much more VRAM, because of your previous system, a 5yo laptop, and you spending 4 grand on it, I'd asume you'd wanna keep this for more than 2-3 years? In that case, I'd go for the higher VRAM, Hardware Unboxed said they were already seeing titles locking up more than 8 gigs - that's really close to the 10, but nowhere near the 16 you'd get on the 6900xt or even 6800xt, which is damn near equivalent to the 3080 in rasterization performance anyway, and it costs less... 

- if you are going for the raytracing option, stick with the 3080 and maybe upgrade the 4k monitor to 120 hertz or better - 60 is gonna look really slow, if you're playing on the second monitor in fast paced games, A faster 4k monitor would also enable you to run it at a lower resolution with DLSS and get the higher frames needed - then you don't have to spend too much on that secondary screen, just get something for YT and whatever you'd wanna run on the side. (As a very personal note, which I have nothing but myself to quote on: 32" is epic compared to 27", especially for 4k. I'm running 1440p 32"144hz, up from 1440p 27"100hz, it's night and day to me. Not so much the refresh (I "only" have a 1080ti), but the size... oh! yeah! :D) - or even consider a single ultrawide instead @120hz or higher, again, just what I'd do if I had the money, for games like you mention - other games that requires the higher FPS, if you get one that's 1440 on the vertical, you can run at regular 2560x1440 and get the horsepower to drive up the frames, like you would with the secondary 1440p display)

- That RAM looks nice, but as far as I understand Gamers Nexus and Buildzoid, with RAM speeds on Ryzen, it's close to useless going above 3800mhz, because the Infinity Fabric needs to run 1:1 with the actual ram speed (in the case of 3800 ram, they'd run 1900:1900 bacuase ram is DDR). Running RAM at higher clocks will tank the performance, unless you're broodforcing CPU clockspeeds with LN2 or something like that... Better get 3600 or 3800 with lower timings. I think Buildzoid was talking about kits running 3800 cl14, which will give you a noticeable leg up from not running 1:1 with IF and that loose timings... I'd even maybe see if I could get 2x16 for the same price. Notice: From what Buildzoid says, 3600 cl16 is garbage (but he is an extreme mem overclocker, so... whatever that's worth). But anyway: 3600 cl14, would be my pick... 

- that license for Win10 is super superflous! Grab on from SCDKeys or a place like that. I've build more than 15 systems over the past year and a half, never had a problem with them... it is a little finicky to get to the actual  purpose, but it can save you 80% of the price, which can be put to good use... 

- is there a specific reason you wanna go X570? Maybe look into B550, Gamers Nexus, Hardware Unboxed and Buildzoid (Actual Hardcore Overclocking is his channels name) are great resources to check which ones are good or not... Again, saving you some money to upgrade to a better GPU or more/better RAM or better 4k monitor... 

9 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

The cpu seems messed up to me: 5600x for $600?

5xxx infinity cache is apparently quite variable in speed so it is possible faster memory could be used.  Hard to know till it is in hand though.

there has been mention that the official PSU requirement for the 3080 can be low because it measures average load, and modern CPUs and GPUs can have occasional very high transient loads. This might imply a larger PSU.  Not sure.  2 large monitors of unequal ppi imply possible future problems if they both want to be used at once on a single desktop.  I understand there are software work around a though.  In either case that’s a lot of pixels to push. 

yeah, the price of the 5600X is all marked up from retailers not getting enough supply. Guessing PCPP just went with whoever listed it in stock - wouldn't pay more than 350 for it, if I was upgrading... 

Also, yeah, IF --might-- go higher than 1900, but, erh, first time builder getting RAM that's probably not gonna be good, on that off chance. Also, anyway, it --might-- clock to 2000 stable, but that's still far away from 2200 which would be required for 4400 ddr... 

A good idea when selecting rgb components is to select ones that can be controlled by the motherboard protocol. In this case aura sync.

I'm not a fan of running memory at a higher voltage than the cpu recommended maximum.

Given the budget, consider using all ssd storage.

There is no need for a 1000W psu. 850 provides more than enough headroom.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($549.00) 
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC 360 RGB 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($359.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($419.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  ($850.00) 
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Adorama) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($188.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($419.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 27UL650-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($346.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4029.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 16:58 EST-0500

Edited by brob
My tablet has the most idiotic autocorrect

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

37 minutes ago, brob said:

A good idea when selecting rgb components is to select ones that can be controlled by the motherboard protocol. In this case aura sync.

I'm not a fan of running memory at a higher voltage than the cpu recommended maximum.

Given the budget, consider using all ssd storage.

There is no need for a 1000W psu. 850 provides more than enough headroom.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X 3.7 GHz 12-Core Processor  ($549.00) 
CPU Cooler: Asus ROG STRIX LC 360 RGB 80.95 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler  ($239.99 @ Amazon) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($359.99 @ Amazon) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3600 CL16 Memory  ($164.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  ($249.99 @ Amazon) 
Storage: Samsung 870 QVO 4 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($419.99 @ Amazon) 
Video Card: Asus GeForce RTX 3080 10 GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card  ($850.00) 
Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic ATX Full Tower Case  ($139.99 @ Adorama) 
Power Supply: SeaSonic PRIME 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  ($188.98 @ Newegg) 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($99.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: Asus TUF Gaming VG27AQ 27.0" 2560x1440 165 Hz Monitor  ($419.99 @ Newegg) 
Monitor: LG 27UL650-W 27.0" 3840x2160 60 Hz Monitor  ($346.99 @ Amazon) 
Total: $4029.89
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-11-24 16:58 EST-0500

As long as it's XMP, you're still not ok with it?

But the PSU, very true! Thought there would be not a lot of difference... but you'd get a BQ or Silverstone for less than 200... I'd go for Plat or Titan in NA, just cause that curve!

34 minutes ago, Kasper_MC said:

As long as it's XMP, you're still not ok with it?

My objection is to the needless degradation of ics. If the op planned balls to the wall oc I might give different advice. But for a high-end gaming system the added wear and tear is not justified.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

5 minutes ago, brob said:

My objection is to the needless degradation of ics. If the op planned balls to the wall oc I might give different advice. But for a high-end gaming system the added wear and tear is not justified.

I've never heard any of the techtubers recommend against XMP - but anyway... I'm running XMP on my 3600cl14 with a 3700x, but I guess I'll be surprised if they degrade enough to notice before I replace them anyway... then I'll just sell on them as lower specs...