Easy and fast way to switch between integrated graphics and dedicated gpu and back

Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,

Even if you disable the GPU in software unless you directly alter the fan curve the fans are still going to spin erratically unless it supports a 0RPM mode.

You'll still have to manually unplung PCI_e power from the GPU but as Cyracus has alluded to you can tell the BIOS to default video out to the iGPU instead of PCI_e (why the screen is black on start). If your monitor has multiple inputs you could also plug two cables in. Make it so you don't have to do that manually every time.

Lately my 4-year-old gtx 1060 from kfa2 has become unbearably loud to the point that I am distracted when studying. I am guessing that its up to a hardware issue because the fan speed is misreported in msi afterburner and the manual fan speed adjustment does not work. The temps are also fine and there is little to no dust in the fans. Now my solution is to remove the dedicated gpu before studying and installing it before I game. Its pretty cumbersome, but just unplugging the power from the gpu and plugging the monitor into the motherboard leads to no image when starting. Is there a faster way to disable the dedicated gpu?

I know this is just a temporary solution, but I do not have to money to buy a shiny new gpu. I’m using windows 10.

Specs:

Intel i5 7600k

Gigabyte B250-HD3P

Kfa2 gtx 1060

Corsair cx500 Powersupply

16 gb patriot viper ram

two 128 gb ssd

1 tb hdd

Bios  -Peripherals  -Initial display output (igfx for onboard, pcie for gpu)

desktop

Spoiler

r5 3600,3450@0.9v (0.875v get) 4.2ghz@1.25v (1.212 get) | custom loop cpu&gpu 1260mm nexxos xt45 | MSI b450i gaming ac | crucial ballistix 2x8 3000c15->3733c15@1.39v(1.376v get) |Zotac 2060 amp | 256GB Samsung 950 pro nvme | 1TB Adata su800 | 4TB HGST drive | Silverstone SX500-LG

HTPC

Spoiler

HTPC i3 7300 | Gigabyte GA-B250M-DS3H | 16GB G Skill | Adata XPG SX8000 128GB M.2 | Many HDDs | Rosewill FBM-01 | Corsair CXM 450W

Even if you disable the GPU in software unless you directly alter the fan curve the fans are still going to spin erratically unless it supports a 0RPM mode.

You'll still have to manually unplung PCI_e power from the GPU but as Cyracus has alluded to you can tell the BIOS to default video out to the iGPU instead of PCI_e (why the screen is black on start). If your monitor has multiple inputs you could also plug two cables in. Make it so you don't have to do that manually every time.