Armory Crate and case RGB not working

GoldenLion13087

So I just completed a new build with an ASUS ROG B550-F Gaming motherboard in a Lian Li Lancool II Mesh RGB case. It looks like Armory Crate recognizes something is attached to the 5v ARGB header, but when I try to apply any effects, nothing happens with the fans. Note that the fans light up if I use some of the pre-programmed modes from the built in controller in the case. I've attached a screenshot for reference. Any idea what I can do to fix it? Am I out of luck with compatibility?

Note: I did post this in Troubleshooting but after further research I think it's more appropriate here. sorry if I am breaking any rules by reposting

Screenshot 2020-11-24 145805.png

1 hour ago, Austin-texas1 said:

Did you shift the rgb controller over to the motherboard color control?

@Austin-texas1Yeah I did. When I get to that mode on controller built into the front IO of the case, the LEDs on the fans just go dark. I've attached another screenshot showing what I see when look at the addressable header under devices in Armoury Crate. Any ideas on how to fix it or if I'm just doing something wrong?

Screenshot 2020-11-24 192222.png

did you daisy chained your fans argb connectors? how much ampere is it using on each fan's argb? and when you daisy chain them, did you check your motherboard limitations?

sometimes is due to the fact that you daisy chained too many fans. is like the motherboard can supply up to 2A but your have chains up lots of fans together which goes beyond 2A. this will cause your motherboard argb head to blow, that will cause you not able to use the motherboard controller. 

this might help you to understand what I mean by ampere. I have explain fully on my past mistake which blow my motherboard argb header. please watch till I talk about  the motherboard specification of the argb header.  

@Kleo Yan The three preconfigured case fans are Daisy chained together. Each pulls .18A according to the backs of the fans, so the .54A is well below the 2A threshold you described.

This might be troublesome, you might want to remove just one fan, connect to the aRGB header to test if it works. if failed, try other fans. If both fans fail, swap your argb connection of your motherboard. you have two aRGB connector .. 

Yeah it's weird. Unfortunately there's only 1 5v3pin on this board. I'm really not sure whether is a problem with the mode with the RGB controller built into the case, the Asus software, or the motherboard itself. I'm beginning to think it may be the controller, the fans are getting recognized (albeit as a lighting strip) in the software.

Aik! what if you remove the software and just use the UEFI to control the argb? does it work that way.. cos I don't use Asus board so just a suggestion.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I'm having the same issue with my PC.  Lian Li Lancool Mesh ii RGB and a Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero.  The case controller will cycle though the different lighting modes fine.  Armoury Crate detects the Lian Li controller as an addressable led strip but when I put it in the 8th mode the LEDs are off.

Exact same problem as the previous 2 posters.  Starting to wonder if the case controller is defective.

I would bet on Armory Crate just being a useless piece of shit before I would bet against Lian Li, really.

On my previous main system I had an Asus board, Asus card, and RGB ram that all controlled reasonably well with the standalone Aura Sync application. Then I made the mistake of installing Armory Crate because I heard it was supposed to be better and more customizable. At that point the lighting on my RAM went out entirely and I lost control of the lighting on my GPU. 

Uninstalled Armory Crate, reinstalled the last standalone version of Aura Sync and tried a half dozen other older ones that someone had archived on Google Drive but I never did find one that could control my GPU lighting again. Had to use OpenRGB to do it, which means a hobbyist project available for free worked better than software by Asus, a multi-billion dollar company. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

2 hours ago, Middcore said:

I would bet on Armory Crate just being a useless piece of shit before I would bet against Lian Li, really.

On my previous main system I had an Asus board, Asus card, and RGB ram that all controlled reasonably well with the standalone Aura Sync application. Then I made the mistake of installing Armory Crate because I heard it was supposed to be better and more customizable. At that point the lighting on my RAM went out entirely and I lost control of the lighting on my GPU. 

Uninstalled Armory Crate, reinstalled the last standalone version of Aura Sync and tried a half dozen other older ones that someone had archived on Google Drive but I never did find one that could control my GPU lighting again. Had to use OpenRGB to do it, which means a hobbyist project available for free worked better than software by Asus, a multi-billion dollar company. 

welcome to rgb...

rgb is made like aaa games these days...

Edited by thrasher_565

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

For motherboard application. most will take control over 3rd party apps like Razer chroma, Lian Li L-Connect. dominating what can be registered as their own product. your lian li strips are fine, just that Armory crate does not recognize your lian li strips as their own product lol.. thats what the aRGB game is all about. 

The two major problematic childs are Asus Armory Crate and the MSI Dragon app, there are findings from others to uninstall those apps, reboot the system then re-install whatever 3rd party apps using administrator rights. (right click run as administrator) then you will be able to use 3rd party apps. but you lose control over your GPU and RAMs argb. 

personally I never like argbs the are pest to me.. whats the point to 1) generate more heat inside your case and 2) draw unnecessary current and make your PSU work more just to step down to 5vots with the ampere and such. well just my own opinion. 

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I'm searching about this issue since hours and cannot find any solution. Is it because Armony Create will only support Asus fans, strips, etc.? Is there anything such as Asus RGB fans? I tried to put on Fractal Design Prisma RGB fans into my case and the RGB just doesn't light up. I have a Fractal Design Define 7 case without a RGB controller so seems I'm stuck swapping case if I want RGB. This is really annoying. What's the point of adding a transparent panel to the case if there is NO option to get RGB in it?

On 2/16/2021 at 9:51 PM, thrasher_565 said:

welcome to rgb...

rgb is made like aaa games these days...

So they once again repeated the same mistake of forbidding mixing and matching of brands. I'm really disappointed, seeing mistakes repeat years after years. With the pandemic on top of that, I'm really feeling the world is collapsing. If it works only with just one brand, is there at least some kits I could purchase with all-Asus fans, strips, etc.? And what do I do to return my current Fractal fans if I don't have access to a printer in order to print the shipping label? I know, it's really silly problem, but that's because people don't think about these details that we are now stuck repeating and loosing hours, hours after hours in searching everywhere.

3 hours ago, Eric Buist said:

Hi,

I'm searching about this issue since hours and cannot find any solution. Is it because Armony Create will only support Asus fans, strips, etc.? Is there anything such as Asus RGB fans? I tried to put on Fractal Design Prisma RGB fans into my case and the RGB just doesn't light up. I have a Fractal Design Define 7 case without a RGB controller so seems I'm stuck swapping case if I want RGB. This is really annoying. What's the point of adding a transparent panel to the case if there is NO option to get RGB in it?

had this issue with my Asus Z590A and lian li fans...I can't tell you the exact steps I did to get through it cause I was kind of throwing crap at the wall hoping something stuck. That being said, I have two sets of fans (front and top...top has an AIO) that are attached to a single lian li control unit. Since it's technically hooked to the AIO I plugged the one pin connector into the CPU fan slot. Went into bios and made sure PWM was set and not just automatic. Then flipped control from Lian Li to Armoury.

I have no idea if that is all I did, I think it is but could have missed something. Also don't know if anything I did is going to set fire to the computer, that one pin connector really bugs me. That being said, had the issue about 6 weeks ago and my house is still standing, the board still works, and the fans are set to auto adjust depending on the CPU temp. Took me days to try and figure out all those things (first build and I have 0 clue what I'm doing). Hopefully that saves you some time. They will work, just gotta fidget with some stuff. And pray.

3 hours ago, MTerp28 said:

had this issue with my Asus Z590A and lian li fans...I can't tell you the exact steps I did to get through it cause I was kind of throwing crap at the wall hoping something stuck. That being said, I have two sets of fans (front and top...top has an AIO) that are attached to a single lian li control unit. Since it's technically hooked to the AIO I plugged the one pin connector into the CPU fan slot. Went into bios and made sure PWM was set and not just automatic. Then flipped control from Lian Li to Armoury.

I have no idea if that is all I did, I think it is but could have missed something. Also don't know if anything I did is going to set fire to the computer, that one pin connector really bugs me. That being said, had the issue about 6 weeks ago and my house is still standing, the board still works, and the fans are set to auto adjust depending on the CPU temp. Took me days to try and figure out all those things (first build and I have 0 clue what I'm doing). Hopefully that saves you some time. They will work, just gotta fidget with some stuff. And pray.

safe to say your probably dont no what your talking about...but thx for the try anyway

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

6 hours ago, Eric Buist said:

So they once again repeated the same mistake of forbidding mixing and matching of brands. I'm really disappointed, seeing mistakes repeat years after years. With the pandemic on top of that, I'm really feeling the world is collapsing. If it works only with just one brand, is there at least some kits I could purchase with all-Asus fans, strips, etc.? And what do I do to return my current Fractal fans if I don't have access to a printer in order to print the shipping label? I know, it's really silly problem, but that's because people don't think about these details that we are now stuck repeating and loosing hours, hours after hours in searching everywhere.

ya i got ripped off on ammazon and got a thermaltake fan but they sent me a coolermaster fan and then wanted me to print a label but who the hell has a printer now a days...

19 hours ago, Eric Buist said:

Hi,

Pardon me, you might want to find out if your fans for rgb (4Pin , 12v - Green - Red Blue) or argb (3pin , 5v - Data in/out - Gnd)? 

maybe tell us the model of your Fractal design fans. see any bros here is able to aid you with it.

8 hours ago, thrasher_565 said:

safe to say your probably dont no what your talking about...but thx for the try anyway

Question was whether armour crate only supported asus fans, which the answer is no. Armour crate can just be a complete bitch sometimes to work with...so do I know what I'm talking about? Hmm....my shit working, his is not. But thanks for being a good internet troll anyway

• 5 months later...
On 2/16/2021 at 7:32 PM, Middcore said:

Just want to toss in that openRGB worked for me as well. First time, took all of 4 minutes to download, install, and change colors on my ASUS ROG Strix. Uninstalled the Armoury Crate garbage, and everything looks great. 

Thanks for the heads up. I'd never heard of openRGB before.