I hate that a decent SSD is 3X the cost of a HDD

WillOfTheLand

Everybody says how great SSD's are but when it comes down to prices, a HDD is still a better deal.

image.thumb.png.4c1607d85bc7ae50e5b4b555585a4e71.png

image.thumb.png.c9f03285100f783acc4696ad86d705dd.png

Yep.

I stuck an SSD in my iMac G5 and once it loads the "Starting Mac OS X" screen, it boots in 2 (or less) seconds flat.

elephants

This is a bit like complaining that a lamborghini is more expensive than an suv, but the lamborghini is 1/5 the price it was just a few years ago and getting cheaper each year.

I'm sad that the HDD speeds are below 10 times in synthetical benchmarks, a bit less in "real life" situations, as still world revolves around affordable HDD speeds. 

I edit my posts more often than not

Honestly, well worth it. 

4TB HDD for mass storage and 1TB SSD for things I use every day works very, very nicely. 

I honestly didn't realise how slow HDDs are until I had to use one every day in a work PC and I miss being able to get my programs up and running in under a minute.

Yeah, that's why lots of people, (or at least most people I know) run a combination of both and that's what I believe is best for now. Frankly enough, while SSD's have been getting so much cheaper, if you want lots of storage for games and media and don't want to spend a 'fortune' on it, an HDD is the best and only choice.

Lol, my Samsung 850 Pro 2TB was around 800€ when new. Still totally worthy and one of best investments ever even at that price. 130€ for 1TB is cheap lol. 2TB's going for under 300€ now. It's expensive until you realize SSD's don't really depreciate as fast as graphic cards. Mine, even though only SATA3 is basically the same in most tasks as any NVMe drive. LTT did test about it. You really have to do super specific sequential tasks where 3500 MB/s actually benefits you. Had it for like 5+ years and I plan on keeping it for that much at least. Selling it now would be a total loss while NVMe M.2 drive wouldn't really benefit me that much. Not 500-600€ difference "much" anyways if I base it on its original price...

A mechanical hard drive, AKA spinning rust is technology from the 70s and 80s. Every other part of computers throughout history has gotten exponentially faster - CPU, RAM, bus speeds, network speeds, you name it - but the performance of mechanical hard drives has only really doubled in the past 10 years, while SSDs have gotten 10x faster or more in the same span of time. HDDs are Rube Goldberg machines of neodymium, copper and little ferrite particles on a spinning platter. Very good for mass storage, but mediocre at even sequential operations, and atrocious at everything else. SSDs are worth every penny for actually using a machine and not having it be painfully slow.

@WillOfTheLand Your post has been moved to storage devices. If you want to start a discussion about storage devices such as hard drives and SSDs then please post in the storage devices forum. 

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

This is a bit funny to me since I recall spending nearly $200 on my first 60GB SSD (OCZ Vertex). We're at a point now where SSDs prices are so affordable (less than $0.10 per GB) that even my only "mechanical" drive is a hybrid drive (Firecuda).

image.png.8a50a1872f3f2b0a691d799ab3a500b2.png

Of course hard drives are a better value from a GB per dollar perspective, but it cannot beat the instant loading times and snappiness of a SSD, which is where the bulk of the value is to me.