Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What does IntelliPower mean in Western Digital drives

I've been going mad trying to find what IntelliPower means, WD has many drives with the RPM listed just saying iNtElLipOwEr. Like I genuinely don't care about their power saving technologies, and why would they list that under RPM of all sections, I just want to know how fast the hard drive spins so I don't end up with a hard drive that is even slower than it should be. Does anyone know what that is supposed to actually mean in RPM or is the value just what Western Digital felt like when making the hard drive? Or should I just avoid all WD drives with IntelliPower?image.png.13d6ffac9e933d1f033e101b71cb3d46.png

IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.

They list it under Rotational Speed because the RPM of the disk is variable. 

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

Just now, Velcade said:

IntelliPower - A fine-tuned balance of spin speed, transfer rate and caching algorithms designed to deliver both significant power savings and solid performance.

I've seen that, it doesn't really help, it just looks like marketing BS to me.

Pretty sure "Intellipower" is just their old marketing name. Drives wouldn't be "WD Blue 2TB", but "WD Blue Intellipower 2TB".

Is this perhaps the WD Red (Plus) you're looking at?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous

Just now, minibois said:

Pretty sure "Intellipower" is just their old marketing name. Drives wouldn't be "WD Blue 2TB", but "WD Blue Intellipower 2TB".

Is this perhaps the WD Red (Plus) you're looking at?

WD Green and a single WD Red.

8 minutes ago, AndreiArgeanu said:

WD Green and a single WD Red.

Those are both 5400RPM drives.

Intellipower's "green" marketing comes all from the fact these aren't 7200RPM drives, but rather 5400RPM. A lower spindle speed, which means a slower speed of transfers, but also less power use.

WD Green HDD's have been replaced by WD Blue drives (in name) in the market, as WD Green drives have not been made in the last years. WD Green/Blue are normal consumer desktop drives.

WD Red drives are still used and are marketed as the 'normal' NAS/server drives (as opposed to WD Red Pro/Gold drives being higher-end). Red underwent a difference in design making them less fit for certain NAS uses, meaning Red Plus is what Red formerly was.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

Sorry if my post seemed rude, that is never my intention.

"Why do we suffer a lifetime for a moment of happiness?" - Anonymous