I bought Assassin's Creed IV Black Flag on Uplay & it is a brilliant game.

Wheresmehammer

From all of the things i saw of later titles, i loved their aesthetics but thought the gameplay looked quite dull. 

But alas, IV Black Flag even now on modern systems still even looks awesome too, ok some textures are a bit muddy, but the water effects, artwork and overall polish to it is astounding.

Do you guys actually recommend buying later AS Creed games?

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

Just now, SteveGrabowski0 said:

Did you ever play AC II and AC Brotherhood? They're about 10 years old but are a blast too in that same older style of AC game.

I will have to purchase them, i think i have held a disregard for AC games and should have gave them a try earlier, still better late than never :)

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

I bought AC Unity when there's a bug on steam Indonesia making the price to only Rp28 or $0.002 aka 2 cents

Remember! Reality Is An Illusion, The Universe Is A Hologram, Buy GOLD! Byeeee!!!

1 minute ago, Wheresmehammer said:

I will have to purchase them, i think i have held a disregard for AC games and should have gave them a try earlier, still better late than never :)

Definitely watch out for them in the Steam Autumn Sale then, and if they're not cheap then, they probably will be in the Steam Winter Sale. I could swear they were like $2.99 or something ridiculously low in the Steam Summer Sale. I actually got AC II free from UPlay in one of their giveaways. UPlay gives away their old AC games all the time. I think I got AC II, AC III, AC Black Flag, and AC Unity free over the last two years just going and claiming them when UPlay was doing a giveaway. There are a couple of PC centered youtube channels, CultOfMush and SantiagoSantiago, that I subscribe to who always give notifications of whatever free games there are to claim.

I bought Origins a few weeks back during a Steam sale, as i hadn't finished it on ps4.

I must admit, I am incredibly impressed with the sheer level of detail, the scale, the mythology of ancient Egypt etc...it's a great game.

Yes, it doesn't always feel like a conventional Assassin's Creed game, but it has so much to offer i don't think it matters.

Unity and Syndicate are both good, and obviously everyone raved about Odyssey. 

Valhalla, I've seen mixed reviews about, and it's still AAA full retail so you really need to want that it your life to pay full price. 

AC4 is indeed a brilliant game. One of the best made, IMO - I don't mean just from the AC series.

If you want more of a similar experience after Black Flag, AC Rogue is also very good and is the game in the AC series that's most similar to AC4. AC3 is also very good after its patches, and it's a part of the trilogy that I think goes in the order of AC4 -> Rogue -> AC3. They aren't comprehensively designed as a trilogy, because you play as different characters in each, and focus on different perspectives in the timeline. But those three games together form the Kenway sage, with the story pivoting around Edward Kenway and his descendants.

Unfortunately, AC3 is now only available in the awful remastered version which doesn't really improve the game, but smears everything in a disgusting yellow/orange/brown tint that, I think, makes the game look like puke.

Outside of the Kenway saga, the newer AC games lose a lot of what was special about AC previously. Unity and Syndicate, while they can be fun, they don't really have anything to say and their environments are very monotonous. Then there's Origins, Odyssey, and Valhalla. I haven't played Valhalla, but Origins and Odyssey are awful generic-playing games with nothing resembling Assassin's Creed, and neither qualify as actual AC games in my strong and unyielding belief.

In commentary from diehard AC series fans, I've heard that AC Valhalla brings back some of the sensations of the AC series, perhaps largely due to Darby's return as a writer, but that it is still isn't all there just yet.

I'll likely get and play Valhalla at some point, but I wouldn't buy it for Ubisoft's platform and I would aim to pay the least amount possible because Ubisoft is an absolute garbage company with no respectable game development values which has shown complete disregard and disrespect for its own series and its fans and their customers, and I wouldn't want Ubisoft to receive even a dollar more from me, if possible. And I feel completely robbed after pre-ordering Origins Gold Edition on the premise that it was being made by the Black Flag team, yet it turned-out to not be an AC game at all and has a bad story, generic and uninteresting missions, and trash and unengaging gameplay.

I'm glad that Ashraf Ishamil and Serge Hascoët were fired from the company this year.

Serge Hascoët was Ubisoft's Chief Creative Officer and, according to reports, overruled everyone on everything design-related on the games and is who forced all of Ubisoft's games to become generic, meaningless, grindy open-world collect-a-thons without good story, structure, or gameplay. He sounds like he's a real sociopath. And with him gone, I hope that AC might return to being AC, and that Ubisoft games in general might start moving towards becoming something good again.

As for Ashraf Ishamil, he headed Origins - the game that showed that AC had been abandoned for dead (even though Unity and Syndicate were spiritually dead and were just husks of what AC was supposed to be). If he didn't have the sense to make a good game with the Black Flag team, and if he didn't perceive that the writing and combat in Origins was horrible and didn't do what was needed to put it on-track, then good riddance.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

24 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

I bought Origins a few weeks back during a Steam sale, as i hadn't finished it on ps4.

I must admit, I am incredibly impressed with the sheer level of detail, the scale, the mythology of ancient Egypt etc...it's a great game.

Yes, it doesn't always feel like a conventional Assassin's Creed game, but it has so much to offer i don't think it matters.

Unity and Syndicate are both good, and obviously everyone raved about Odyssey. 

Valhalla, I've seen mixed reviews about, and it's still AAA full retail so you really need to want that it your life to pay full price. 

Interesting that we were writing posts at the same time with very opposite conclusions.

Origins does have a nice-looking environment. But it's very samey all-over the place: One city or village looks like many others with just a different layout. And as with Odyssey, the environment is the best thing Origins has going for it.

Among long-time fans of the series, people are rating the newer games from best to worst as Valhalla, then Origins, then Odyssey, with Odyssey basically being despised for being barren of any meaningful content and just endless generic everything (other than environmental detail), and not even having anything to do with the assassins and templars.

General gamer reviews of those three games mostly concur:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-origins

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-odyssey

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-valhalla

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

23 hours ago, Delicieuxz said:

Interesting that we were writing posts at the same time with very opposite conclusions.

Origins does have a nice-looking environment. But it's very samey all-over the place: One city or village looks like many others with just a different layout. And as with Odyssey, the environment is the best thing Origins has going for it.

Among long-time fans of the series, people are rating the newer games from best to worst as Valhalla, then Origins, then Odyssey, with Odyssey basically being despised for being barren of any meaningful content and just endless generic everything (other than environmental detail), and not even having anything to do with the assassins and templars.

General gamer reviews of those three games mostly concur:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-origins

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-odyssey

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/assassins-creed-valhalla

I did say Origins doesn't always feel like a conventional AC game, so I clearly agree with your point there.

I get what you mean about the samey nature of the environments, but I still feel like it is impressive  - especially if you view it as one would have when it first came out and relative to past AC games.

It definitely had detail, a big map, lots to do, and a decent story.

Odyssey had been praised by a lot of people as an improved version of Origins, but I suppose if you didn't like Origins then it is just more of the same.

I can't speak on Valhalla, though I do love me some Viking plunder...I'd just heard very mixed things about it.

For me, personally, AC 2 will always be my favourite.