How to update BIOS to prepare for new AMD processor?

Vittal18

I recently read that AMD 5000series can work with AM4 socket motherboard (after the motherboard got a BIOS update).

I am planning to get AMD 5000series processor along with MSI X570 motherboard AM4 socket. So my question now is,  how will I update the motherboard if the motherboard dosen't recognize the processor in first place(since BIOS not updated/New motherboard and its a new AMD processor which is not yet supported unless BIOS update)

Or did I understand it all wrong? like will the X570 motherboard recognize the processor but I have to update the BIOS to unlock its full potential?!

Hope I am not confusing.

Kindly clarify my doubt please.

firstly, i would recommend a b550 motherboard.

secondly, many b550 motherboards have a bios flashback option that allows bios update from a USB without a cpu installed.

what cpu and what motherboard are you planning to buy?

msi's x570 entry level boards are quite bad, while their b500 boards are good and have bios flashback

Welcome to the forums!!!

34 minutes ago, Vittal18 said:

I am planning to get AMD 5000series processor along with MSI X570 motherboard AM4 socket. So my question now is,  how will I update the motherboard if the motherboard dosen't recognize the processor in first place(since BIOS not updated/New motherboard and its a new AMD processor which is not yet supported unless BIOS update)

Most decent MSI motherboards offer a BIOS Flashback option that does not require a CPU/Memory to be installed in order to update a BIOS revision. If they don't, AMD does provide a kit that allows you to install the newest BIOS with a processor supported by the motherboard's revision that allows you to install the newest BIOS. They might also tell you to go to the retailer you bought the motherboard from for them to update the BIOS as well. Here is a good link on those situations. 

https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/faq/pa-105

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

B550 and x570 will support Ryzen 5xxx from the start.

BIOS updates may improve compatibility or make things BETTER (like higher memory frequencies, improving or fixing some quirks) but the computer should start and work just fine without any bios updates.

If you do need to make an update, it's as simple as downloading the zip file (or another format archive but zip is common) with the bios from the manufacturer, extract the archive on a usb stick, and then you reboot the pc and press DELETE or F2 or some other key to get inside the bios, where you have an option to update the bios.  You just browse to the USB stick and select the file, and in a minute or so your bios will be updated.

Some motherboard manufacturers will allow you to update the bios from Windows or Linux, using an application that's also available in the Downloads page for your motherboard model.

edit: Indeed, a lot of motherboards these days have BIOS Flashback, where you can simply unpack the archive onto a usb stick (but which may have to be formatted as FAT32 or exFat before) and put it in a special usb port in the back of the motherboard and push a button.  The motherboard should then program the bios even if you don't have a CPU and memory installed on the motherboard.

I agree with the previous poster saying that the cheaper MSI x570 boards are not so good. Mid to high end x570 boards are fine.

B550 boards are often better choices, because they were made some time after x570 chipset was launched, and at a point where 2.5g ethernet and wifi were more common and cheaper than right when x570 was launched and when the motherboard manufacturers designed those x570 boards.

So you can often find B550 motherboard with same or better heatsink and cooling for the VRM (the circuit that powers the CPU)  but has 2.5gbps ethernet  and may have ALC1220 instead of ALC1200 or ALC892 (onboard audio chips) and wifi onboard is a cheaper addon.

You still get pci-e 4.0 for the video card and the first m.2 connector, B550 only loses pci-e 4.0 for the pci-e lanes that come from chipset (those go to the 2nd m.2 connector, or the bottom pci-e x16 slot usually, so it's not a big deal)

On 11/24/2020 at 6:22 PM, boggy77 said:

firstly, i would recommend a b550 motherboard.

secondly, many b550 motherboards have a bios flashback option that allows bios update from a USB without a cpu installed.

what cpu and what motherboard are you planning to buy?

msi's x570 entry level boards are quite bad, while their b500 boards are good and have bios flashback

I am going to buy AMD 5900x and for motherboard (well initially ) I was going for  MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI   

But now after hearing all your suggestions I will go for B550 board. If you have a good board that pair well with AMD 5900x kindly let me know.

Thank you all for chiming in and helping me out . Really appreciate it.

On 11/24/2020 at 6:57 PM, mariushm said:

B550 and x570 will support Ryzen 5xxx from the start.

BIOS updates may improve compatibility or make things BETTER (like higher memory frequencies, improving or fixing some quirks) but the computer should start and work just fine without any bios updates.

If you do need to make an update, it's as simple as downloading the zip file (or another format archive but zip is common) with the bios from the manufacturer, extract the archive on a usb stick, and then you reboot the pc and press DELETE or F2 or some other key to get inside the bios, where you have an option to update the bios.  You just browse to the USB stick and select the file, and in a minute or so your bios will be updated.

Some motherboard manufacturers will allow you to update the bios from Windows or Linux, using an application that's also available in the Downloads page for your motherboard model.

edit: Indeed, a lot of motherboards these days have BIOS Flashback, where you can simply unpack the archive onto a usb stick (but which may have to be formatted as FAT32 or exFat before) and put it in a special usb port in the back of the motherboard and push a button.  The motherboard should then program the bios even if you don't have a CPU and memory installed on the motherboard.

I agree with the previous poster saying that the cheaper MSI x570 boards are not so good. Mid to high end x570 boards are fine.

B550 boards are often better choices, because they were made some time after x570 chipset was launched, and at a point where 2.5g ethernet and wifi were more common and cheaper than right when x570 was launched and when the motherboard manufacturers designed those x570 boards.

So you can often find B550 motherboard with same or better heatsink and cooling for the VRM (the circuit that powers the CPU)  but has 2.5gbps ethernet  and may have ALC1220 instead of ALC1200 or ALC892 (onboard audio chips) and wifi onboard is a cheaper addon.

You still get pci-e 4.0 for the video card and the first m.2 connector, B550 only loses pci-e 4.0 for the pci-e lanes that come from chipset (those go to the 2nd m.2 connector, or the bottom pci-e x16 slot usually, so it's not a big deal)

So if I buy 5900x it will work without flash with B550 boards ? that's a great news to hear.

5 hours ago, Vittal18 said:

I am going to buy AMD 5900x and for motherboard (well initially ) I was going for  MSI MPG X570 GAMING PRO CARBON WIFI   

But now after hearing all your suggestions I will go for B550 board. If you have a good board that pair well with AMD 5900x kindly let me know.

Thank you all for chiming in and helping me out . Really appreciate it.

GigabyteB550 aorus pro or master, asus b550 strix f or a or e, msi b550 tomahawk, edge or carbon, asrock b550 steel legend or taichi