Hey, i need help with installing arch linux

Go to solution Solved by yoge67855,

I did it using 

Well, im trying to install arch linux.

I tried EZARCHER, ARCHFI.

And i want to try the anarchy.

Is anarchy good solution to install arch linux?

not really, i've had tons of issues with Anarchy Linux. 

but if you are a noob to this just start of with Manjaro. you get all the advantages of Arch, mainly the AUR but without the pain in the butt of actually getting Arch installed. 

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

not really, i've had tons of issues with Anarchy Linux. 

but if you are a noob to this just start of with Manjaro. you get all the advantages of Arch, mainly the AUR but without the pain in the butt of actually getting Arch installed. 

i just installed Manjarno its really bad

Last I knew, Anarchy setup third party repos. I personally don't recommend the use of third party installers, and if you mention it to the Arch Community you may not get any support.

Part of running Arch is knowing what is installed on your system and how it's configured. I recommend following the official Installation Guide, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

You can however refer to here for Arch Based Distros / Installers. Just keep in mind the warning at the top of the page.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch-based_distributions

If you need something simple to setup, Manjaro does a fairly decent job of pre-configuring a Arch based Environment and has community support.

1 minute ago, Nayr438 said:

Last I knew, Anarchy setup third party repos. I personally don't recommend the use of third party installers, and if you mention it to the Arch Community you may not get any support.

Part of running Arch is knowing what is installed on your system and how it's configured. I recommend following the official Installation Guide, https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Installation_guide

You can however refer to here for Arch Based Distros / Installers. Just keep in mind the warning at the top of the page.

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch-based_distributions

If you need something simple to setup, Manjaro does a fairly decent job of pre-configuring a Arch based Environment and has community support.

image.png.444707e72a336a01e5c7137b5d1c6104.png

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

From the same page.

ok im gonna use other websites like reddit to get help

8 minutes ago, yoge67855 said:

yeah i know i tried it... i was doing it for 7 hours and at final step was error (i needed to start again)

You shouldn't need to restart the install process. Rather than jumping onto a installer, you would probably be better off sharing what error you ran into.

Just now, Nayr438 said:

You shouldn't need to restart the install process. Rather than jumping onto a installer, you would probably be better off sharing what error you ran into.

i dont saved it

52 minutes ago, yoge67855 said:

i just installed Manjarno its really bad

which version? 

gnome,kde or xfce?

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

36 minutes ago, yoge67855 said:

kde

i suggest manjaro xfce if you want to try arch based distros

6 minutes ago, mahyar said:

i suggest manjaro xfce if you want to try arch based distros

i want to try arch

Just now, yoge67855 said:

i want to try arch

what feather of arch do you want to test?

1 minute ago, mahyar said:

what feather of arch do you want to test?

the official arch installed with easy installer

1 minute ago, yoge67855 said:

the official arch installed with easy installer

well there is a huge meme in linux community about how arch is an abomination to instal

and there is no such thing as "official" in linux

the correct term to use is "normal" 

43 minutes ago, mahyar said:

well there is a huge meme in linux community about how arch is an abomination to instal

and there is no such thing as "official" in linux

the correct term to use is "normal" 

youre right

I actually decided it was time to tackle Arch yesterday, It took me a good 6 hours in total but that's mostly because I started in VMWare and took regular snapshots plus getting VMWare Tools running is a PITA.

I used to official guide linked to earlier in the thread, didn't really encounter anything that caused issue.

Once I figured out the process I moved onto bare metal and if anything it was easier, I got KDE Plasma installed and also a community repo of MESA-GIT for the latest version of AMDGPU with OpenGL & Vulkan. Had a few small issues, Discover wouldn't show any packages (missing dependency) and MESA-GIT wouldn't actually install until I manually removed Clang.

I'd say it probably took me 2 hours to install Arch on my PC, install Plasma, fix the missing dependency and get MESA-GIT running. Not bad for my first time ever.

edit - Oh yeah, the damn keyboard layout. I wasted 30 minutes trying to get an X11 config file to load the correct keymap only to discover you can change it from Settings in about 5 seconds :D

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

45 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Once I figured out the process I moved onto bare metal and if anything it was easier, I got KDE Plasma installed and also a community repo of MESA-GIT for the latest version of AMDGPU with OpenGL & Vulkan. Had a few small issues, Discover wouldn't show any packages (missing dependency) and MESA-GIT wouldn't actually install until I manually removed Clang.

Just some advice. Don't use Discover, it doesn't handle optional dependencies, If you want a Graphical Package Manager, I would look at pamac-aur which is in the AUR / Chaotic-AUR. Otherwise you might end up in a situation where you install something and it's missing various functionality.

Mesa-Git can be iffy at times, Id recommend Mesa-TKG-GIt over it.

If you need opencl support on amd, I would look at opencl-amd, which is in the AUR and Chaotic-AUR.

If you plan to game with Proton and Wine, you might check out what I posted here

2 minutes ago, Nayr438 said:

Just some advice. Don't use Discover, it doesn't handle optional dependencies, If you want a Graphical Package Manager, I would look at pamac-aur which is in the AUR / Chaotic-AUR. Otherwise you might end up in a situation where you install something and it's missing various functionality.

Mesa-Git can be iffy at times, Id recommend Mesa-TKG-GIt over it.

If you need opencl support on amd, I would look at opencl-amd, which is in the AUR and Chaotic-AUR.

If you plan to game with Proton and Wine, you might check out what I posted here

Yeah, I found a guide from Foss with 7 essential tweaks to make on a base Arch install, Pamac is one of them. I also intend to check out Conky & Stacer and do some customisation as well.

Thanks, I'll check that out today. The official Arch Wiki suggested Mesa-Git which is why I went with it. I do some video editing occasionally (Kdenlive looks great BTW), not sure if OpenCL is needed for GPU rendering or not?

Steam was going to be the last thing I tackle, I'll be sure to check out your thread when I get to it :)

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)