Bios/Motherboard/RAM on first build

MacGuy

First build, first post, complete with dumb questions.  I am leaning towards building a small form factor PC but wanted to make sure I'm not making an uninformed decision.  The computer will be for gaming, however I don't know what will be played as I'm building it for my wife so she can game with her sister (who plays just about everything).  I'm hoping for it to be able to tackle just about anything reasonably well, please let me know if there are any obvious bottle necks.  I will not be doing any overclocking I don't think...baby steps.

1. I am looking at X570 M-ITX boards because my understanding is if you don't need the extra card slots or rear I/O, the ITX board will perform the same as an ATX board.  Is this true, or does the larger board size net you something else?
  2. As I am looking at the AMD Ryzen 5600X, I am noticing that motherboards are warning that a Bios update may be required for that chip.  I feel like I've seen a video on LTT that said you would need a supported chip to update the Bios for the new chip, am I remembering that right?  I feel like manufacturers wouldn't want to put such a difficult process in place for first time buyers, but would I have to wait for "new stock" if that's the case?
  3. In researching RAM, I am wondering which would be better for gaming on Zen 3: 3600Mhz at CL 16, or 3200Mhz at CL 14?  Both would be a 2x16gb matched kit, and are roughly the same price.

For reference, here is the list of parts I'm looking to put together, still deciding on a case. Really appreciate any help with the above, or flat out wake up calls if something is horribly incompatible!

Daily driver: Mac Mini 2018

Gaming: 5800x/3080ti

3 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

First build, first post, complete with dumb questions.  I am leaning towards building a small form factor PC but wanted to make sure I'm not making an uninformed decision.  The computer will be for gaming, however I don't know what will be played as I'm building it for my wife so she can game with her sister (who plays just about everything).  I'm hoping for it to be able to tackle just about anything reasonably well, please let me know if there are any obvious bottle necks.  I will not be doing any overclocking I don't think...baby steps.

1. I am looking at X570 M-ITX boards because my understanding is if you don't need the extra card slots or rear I/O, the ITX board will perform the same as an ATX board.  Is this true, or does the larger board size net you something else?
  2. As I am looking at the AMD Ryzen 5600X, I am noticing that motherboards are warning that a Bios update may be required for that chip.  I feel like I've seen a video on LTT that said you would need a supported chip to update the Bios for the new chip, am I remembering that right?  I feel like manufacturers wouldn't want to put such a difficult process in place for first time buyers, but would I have to wait for "new stock" if that's the case?
  3. In researching RAM, I am wondering which would be better for gaming on Zen 3: 3600Mhz at CL 16, or 3200Mhz at CL 14?  Both would be a 2x16gb matched kit, and are roughly the same price.

For reference, here is the list of parts I'm looking to put together, still deciding on a case. Really appreciate any help with the above, or flat out wake up calls if something is horribly incompatible!

i dont see the case and cooler type. 

are you planning to run stock cooler?

Thats still up in the air, I'm looking for as small a case as possible and what I'm learning is if I have a bigger case the stock cooler might be ok, but if I go very small I will need an AIO.  Whichever case I get, I will be maxing out the case fans available (as in adding fans to any open slot a fan didn't come in), and am willing to water cool CPU if needed.

Edited by MacGuy
Clarification

4 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Thats still up in the air, I'm looking for as small a case as possible and what I'm learning is if I have a bigger case the stock cooler might be ok, but if I go very small I will need an AIO.  Whichever case I get, I will be maxing out the case fans available (as in adding fans to any open slot a fan didn't come in), and am willing to water cool CPU if needed.

well small case you can use stuff like slagger

if you want the nzxt h1 comes with psu and aio

1. mini-itx is a tad bit worse than a atx board because you have less expandability. Less pcie slots, less ports. but it is more compact. 

2. the motherboard can have a bios flashback button to flash bios without cpu. the x570-I from asus has it and it is the best of all mini x570 boards.

3. Ryzen 5000 can get a 10% performance boost with four sticks of ram. get 4x 8gb 3600 cl16, but you can get 400mhz cl18, but that might have stability issues the rgb pro 4x8gb 4000mhz cl18 should do the job

5 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

well small case you can use stuff like slagger

if you want the nzxt h1 comes with psu and aio

Thanks, I'll check that out!

3 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

1. mini-itx is a tad bit worse than a atx board because you have less expandability. Less pcie slots, less ports. but it is more compact. 

2. the motherboard can have a bios flashback button to flash bios without cpu. the x570-I from asus has it and it is the best of all mini x570 boards.

3. Ryzen 5000 can get a 10% performance boost with four sticks of ram. get 4x 8gb 3600 cl16, but you can get 400mhz cl18, but that might have stability issues the rgb pro 4x8gb 4000mhz cl18 should do the job

Thanks! While I don't believe I will miss the extra ports or expandability, I don't think the smaller ITX boards allow have 4 RAM slots.  I'll have to consider this.

3 minutes ago, MacGuy said:

Thanks! While I don't believe I will miss the extra ports or expandability, I don't think the smaller ITX boards allow have 4 RAM slots.  I'll have to consider this.

it only has 2 slots itx boards. so if your going itx rethink ram size

On 11/24/2020 at 1:27 AM, Ankh Tech said:

the motherboard can have a bios flashback button to flash bios without cpu. the x570-I from asus has it and it is the best of all mini x570 boards.

I have been researching this board and I like it better than the board I originally was looking at, thank you!  I had a question about ram, as I am trying to use 3200 CL14 ram.  This board does not natively support 3200, only with an overclock, is there a disadvantage to this?  There is a very similar board (X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi) that supports it without an overclock. Am I better off with the board that supports the speed I want natively, I want the system to be as stabile as possible. 

1 minute ago, MacGuy said:

I have been researching this board and I like it better than the board I originally was looking at, thank you!  I had a question about ram, as I am trying to use 3200 CL14 ram.  This board does not natively support 3200, only with an overclock, is there a disadvantage to this?  There is a very similar board (X570 I Aorus Pro Wifi) that supports it without an overclock. Am I better off with the board that supports the speed I want natively, I want the system to be as stabile as possible. 

by oc it only means enabling xmp, or docp is asus motherboards. Without doing this the ram will run at much lower speeds. But it isn't proper ocing