quality of current Corsair CX650M/VC650 PSUs?

YSL_know_plug

Hey folks,

i just wanted to know if you guys can tell me whether the current line of Corsair CX650m and VC650 PSUs is better than some of the older variants?

I have built a pc for a buddy in 2015 using a CX600 and from the beginning the psu fan rattled and eventually got stuck and it took me a lot of fooling around with its fan to get it working again and so i wanted to know if this sorta stuff is still common with current PSUs or not? also what are some 80+/80+ plus bronze alternatives in the 650watt range that also cost around 80-85 bucks that tend to have better quality control or in general what are your thoughts on it. Though i want to note that the cx600 still works but here and there the fan rattles. Also from experience i can say that higher end psus arent always more reliable so keep that in mind when recommending something.

thanks for the help, community!

4 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

Also from experience i can say that higher end psus arent always more reliable so keep that in mind when recommending something.

You're right, that's why I have Seasonic, but recommend BeQuiet (except SystemPower serie). I also was using Corsair in the past.

1 minute ago, homeap5 said:

You're right, that's why I have Seasonic, but recommend BeQuiet (except SystemPower serie).

any specific psu? amazon.de price would be nice, thanks

12 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

Hey folks,

i just wanted to know if you guys can tell me whether the current line of Corsair CX650m and VC650 PSUs is better than some of the older variants?

I have built a pc for a buddy in 2015 using a CX600 and from the beginning the psu fan rattled and eventually got stuck and it took me a lot of fooling around with its fan to get it working again and so i wanted to know if this sorta stuff is still common with current PSUs or not? also what are some 80+/80+ plus bronze alternatives in the 650watt range that also cost around 80-85 bucks that tend to have better quality control or in general what are your thoughts on it. Though i want to note that the cx600 still works but here and there the fan rattles. Also from experience i can say that higher end psus arent always more reliable so keep that in mind when recommending something.

thanks for the help, community!

in general its always better to spend big money or more money on a psu since its the main component.

seasonic is good like the seasonic prime or focus power supplies depending on your current setup and future upgrades

2 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

in general its always better to spend big money or more money on a psu since its the main component.

seasonic is good like the seasonic prime or focus power supplies depending on your current setup and future upgrades

Silverstone 500W 80+ PSU (that cost like 60 bucks or less back then) from 2010 is still running. Be quiet (cant remember which one) 600w (cost arotund 70 i think) in my bros PC stil lruning after 4 years. Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold PSU that cost 130€ died one month after warranty ended after 2 or 3 years, so no, i am not going to spend more than the necessary amount on PSUs, they all got all sorts of protection features anyways and especially if you read amazon comments often you find as many people unhappy with reliability on 100€+ PSUs as on 60€ PSUs

1 minute ago, YSL_know_plug said:

Silverstone 500W 80+ PSU (that cost like 60 bucks or less back then) from 2010 is still running. Be quiet (cant remember which one) 600w (cost arotund 70 i think) in my bros PC stil lruning after 4 years. Silverstone 750W 80+ Gold PSU that cost 130€ died one month after warranty ended after 2 or 3 years, so no, i am not going to spend more than the necessary amount on PSUs, they all got all sorts of protection features anyways and especially if you read amazon comments often you find as many people unhappy with reliability on 100€+ PSUs as on 60€ PSUs

there are some limitations on psu lower than 100 euros. like cable length, color and amount of plugs. thats mostly the complaint.

1 minute ago, bebejapes said:

there are some limitations on psu lower than 100 euros. like cable length, color and amount of plugs. thats mostly the complaint.

already got some cable extensions

2 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

already got some cable extensions

ah yeah thats okay but what i meant was that was the main reasons for peoples complaint

just get something thats like 80+ bronze 

4 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

ah yeah thats okay but what i meant was that was the main reasons for peoples complaint

just get something thats like 80+ bronze 

so cx650m or CV650 should be fine

21 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

whats your pc setup

gonna upgrade cpu, mobo and ram. The new system will actually consume like 50W less than my current one, because my Devils canyon chip is running 1,37V with 4,7ghz, i want to replace it with i7 10700KF, not planning on overclocking the i7 and my 1080 ti is also running stock

gonna upgrade cpu, mobo and ram. The new system will actually consume like 50W less than my current one, because my Devils canyon chip is running 1,37V with 4,7ghz, i want to replace it with i7 10700KF, not planning on overclocking the i7 and my 1080 ti is also running stock

go with cx 750 or 800 that way you wont have to buy another psu if you upgrade the gpu

8 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

for those specs CV will be pretty bad. cx650m atleast. I would get atleast TX650m for that setup. Check this tier list:

+ All the people in this thread. Remember that

effiency does not mean quality.

brand does not mean quality. If psu has LLC and is DC-DC then it will be decent even if it does not have good effiency or brand. Of course there are more factors to it, so check the psu tier list.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Tier lists for building a PC.

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

(Also case airflow matter or if you are using Downcraft air cooler)

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

(With a grain of salt, I use tier C for OS myself)

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

Ask me anything :)

10 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

go with cx 750 or 800 that way you wont have to buy another psu if you upgrade the gpu

why would i upgrade the gpu? every game i play when i cap at 60fps ultra 1440p will not use more than 40% gpu, the problem is that my cpu sometimes isnt able to keep 60fps and some games are straight up unplayable even if i just keep discord + a couple of chrome tabs + windows media player or winamp running in background

2 minutes ago, SavageNeo said:

for those specs CV will be pretty bad. cx650m atleast. I would get atleast TX650m for that setup. Check this tier list

effiency does not mean quality.

brand does not mean quality. If psu has LLC and is DC-DC then it will be decent even if it does not have good effiency or brand. Of course there are more factors to it, so check the psu tier list.

CX650m is what i am gonna go for i think, its DC-DC according to other forums

why would i upgrade the gpu? every game i play when i cap at 60fps ultra 1440p will not use more than 40% gpu

well thats me just thinking about future proofing my psu since 3070 would eat 650 and chew it and spit it out easy

Just now, YSL_know_plug said:

CX650m is what i am gonna go for i think, its DC-DC according to other forums

Yes it is DC-DC but it is tier C since it has DF instead of LLC. It is decent but for 10700kf and 1080ti you should get something better. It will be most probably fine, but still.

I would reccomen you to get tier A unit, or some tier B atleast.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

|Ryzen 7 3700x, OC to 4.2ghz @1.3V, 67C, or 4.4ghz @1.456V, 87C || Asus strix 5700 XT, +50 core, +50 memory, +50 power (not a great overclocker) || Asus Strix b550-A || G.skill trident Z Neo rgb 32gb 3600mhz cl16-19-19-19-39, oc to 3733mhz with the same timings || Cooler Master ml360 RGB AIO || Phanteks P500A Digital || Thermaltake ToughPower grand RGB750w 80+gold || Samsung 850 250gb and Adata SX 6000 Lite 500gb || Toshiba 5400rpm 1tb || Asus Rog Theta 7.1 || Asus Rog claymore || Asus Gladius 2 origin gaming mouse || Monitor 1 Asus 1080p 144hz || Monitor 2 AOC 1080p 75hz || 

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Ryzen 5 3400G || Gigabyte b450 S2H || Hyper X fury 2x4gb 2666mhz cl 16 ||Stock cooler || Antec NX100 || Silverstone essential 400w || Transgend SSD 220s 480gb ||

Just Sold

Spoiler

| i3 9100F || Msi Gaming X gtx 1050 TI || MSI Z390 A-Pro || Kingston 1x16gb 2400mhz cl17 || Stock cooler || Kolink Horizon RGB || Corsair CV 550w || Pny CS900 120gb ||

Motherboard tier list. Tier A for overclocking 5950x. Tier B for overclocking 5900x, Tier C for overclocking 5800X. Tier D for overclocking 5600X. Tier F for 4/6 core Cpus at stock. Tier E avoid.

Spoiler

Gpu tier list. Rtx 3000 and RX 6000 not included since not so many reviews. Tier S for Water cooling. Tier A and B for overcloking. Tier C stock and Tier D avoid.

( You can overclock Tier C just fine, but it can get very loud, that is why it is not recommended for overclocking, same with tier D)

Spoiler

Psu tier List. Tier A for Rtx 3000, Vega and RX 6000. Tier B For anything else. Tier C cheap/IGPU. Tier D and E avoid.

(RTX 3000/ RX 6000 Might run just fine with higher wattage tier B unit, Rtx 3070 runs fine with tier B units)

Spoiler

Cpu cooler tier list. Tier 1&2 for power hungry Cpus with Overclock. Tier 3&4 for overclocking Ryzen 3,5,7 or lower power Intel Cpus. Tier 5 for overclocking low end Cpus or 4/6 core Ryzen. Tier 6&7 for stock. Tier 8&9 Ryzen stock cooler performance. Do not waste your money!

Spoiler

Storage tier List. Tier A for Moving files/  OS. Tier B for OS/Games. Tier C for games. Tier D budget Pcs. Tier E if on sale not the worst but not good.

Spoiler

Case Tier List. Work In Progress. Most Phanteks airflow series cases already done!

4 minutes ago, bebejapes said:

well thats me just thinking about future proofing my psu since 3070 would eat 650 and chew it and spit it out easy

arent the new nvidia gpus way more efficient? by the time i upgrade i dont expect any PSU to still run, anything more than 3 years of heavy usage is an unrealistic expectation

PS: dude, the 3070 has 220W TDP, while my 1080 ti has 250, no point in getting more than 650w, when 600w have been working fine

Just now, YSL_know_plug said:

arent the new nvidia gpus way more efficient? by the time i upgrade i dont expect any PSU to still run, anything more than 3 years of heavy usage is an unrealistic expectation

nope they are not they are power hungry

arent the new nvidia gpus way more efficient?

No. They were sometiem ago with AMD Vega but now AMD has the lead. 1080 ti uses  over 200w power and around the same with 10700kf when stressing. os your whole setup uses around 500w power at stock. overcloked easily over 600w. If yopu want to upgrade to new rtx 3000 (uses much power) 750w psumakes more sense. The new radeon uses less power than rtx 3000 but not much less anyway.

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, bebejapes said:

nope they are not they are power hungry

no, look up TDP, 125W for 10700kf, 220W for rx 3070, fans + AIO + peripherals + ram are around 100W. there is a video on YT where people are running oc'd i7s with gtx 1080 tis on 500w or 550w psus are even cheaper without problems. 

Just now, SavageNeo said:

No. They were sometiem ago with AMD Vega but now AMD has the lead. 1080 ti uses  over 200w power and around the same with 10700kf when stressing. os your whole setup uses around 500w power at stock. overcloked easily over 600w. If yopu want to upgrade to new rtx 3000 (uses much power) 750w psumakes more sense. The new radeon uses less power than rtx 3000 but not much less anyway.

i am pretty sure that the manufacturer knows the TDP of his own product

1 hour ago, YSL_know_plug said:

any specific psu? amazon.de price would be nice, thanks

I already said that - every except SystemPower serie. PurePower or StraightPower will be great.

3 minutes ago, YSL_know_plug said:

thats the tdp of the gpu not including the system. myself and @SavageNeoare correct when we say rtx3000 series is power hungry

TDP does not mean how much power is is consuming. Has not meant in many years now. It is a rough number. 3080 TDP of 320w. uses 340w under load. Overcloked around 380-420w.

i7 110700kf with tdp of 125W, uses around 140-150W under load, 210W when overcloked.

1080ti with tdp of 250W usses around the 250w strock overcloked around 300w.

so you are looking at arounf 600w power consumtiption on your WHOLE system when ocercloked. When at stock under 500w

QUOTE ME  FOR ANSWER.

Main PC:

Spoiler

Test Rig.

Spoiler

Just Sold

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler