Incredibly disappointed with LTT shirt fabric

Sykaas

I don't know where else to put this so I want to share my complaint here.

I was sick of buying paper-thin shirts that fall apart in the wash, and I'd heard good things about LTT store shirts. I don't normally buy youtuber merch but I figured LTT would have high quality, since that's what's advertised. But I cannot believe how thin these shirts are. I can see through them, even though they're black. If I put one over my head, I can walk around my apartment and see everything in front of me. 

Here's a comparison, of me wearing two shirts, one LTT and one is custom merch from a local arcade in town. In both photos I'm wearing the shirt and pulling it away from my body with my hand.

IMG_20201123_152216.thumb.jpg.700cbf7322e6516ca523e8c639ef4193.jpgupright.thumb.jpg.a60f93276b791af42af32d8e11b9b06b.jpg

You can see that the LTT shirt is significantly thinner. Even comparing it to various black band T-shirts I have, I can't see through those when I put my hand under the fabric. And to be clear I'm not stretching it here; that's why left wrinkles in the photo. It's just my hand under the slack of the shirt.

I won't be seeking a refund since the shirts are delivered as advertised and I can wear them around the house (which is of course 99% of the time in 2020), but I want to add my voice and experience to the waves and waves of positive reviews. Hopefully someone who hates thin shirts will see this and be able to make a more informed decision than I did.

If you love your shirt, great. I don't love mine because the fabric is too thin.

thin material has little to nothing to do with how long it will last, I have a work shirt that I was given when doing a construction job during 110F heat, it has since lasted me three years working on various projects, forging, and day to day use (its soft and cool.)

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

3 minutes ago, Sykaas said:

My garbage bags full of shirts that have worn through would disagree.

that's also your experience, wear the shirt try it out, i'm currently wearing a black shirt from my current job that i can't see through, and it has holes from who knows what, just cause you cant see through it doesn't mean it's good quality

psa: remember to quote or ping for a reply.

AMD blackout rig

I also dislike thin fabric shirts in general, especially the lighter color ones.

But the good thing here, is that it's a dark color and thus won't really show "anything" on your body while wearing it, be it nipples or bra (unlike a white one that you can basically see through it, even more so when wet with sweat or rain).

That said, not all fabric is made the same.

I have plenty of shirts that are thick but broke apart within a few weeks of wearing them.

I also have a few thin fabric, nearly see through shirts that have lasted me years now.

I'm hoping your case is the latter. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

According to the product description the LTT shirts are printed on American Apparel 50/50 polyblend T-shirts, so if you have any experience with those it might give you an idea of what to expect in terms of quality from the LTT shirts.

2 hours ago, Sykaas said:

Here's a comparison, of me wearing two shirts, one LTT and one is custom merch from a local arcade in town

What material is the other shirt made out of?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

While it may not be what you're looking for in a garment, the thickness of the shirt is not indicative of the quality. That's simply not how fabric works. 

I do think that they should list the fabric weight on the site. That would give a far better idea of the thickness.

However they're not a clothing company, so growing pains are kind of to be expected. Now that they have someone who's actually in the field, their quality can only improve. 

4 hours ago, Sykaas said:

My garbage bags full of shirts that have worn through would disagree.

There's thousands of people that have bought the shirts without issue. I'd say that trumps a bag of shirts if we're going for a numbers game. 

3 hours ago, Sykaas said:

Shared washing machine
A thin shirt goes in intact
Emerges with holes

Sounds a lot more like you have a problem with your washing machine. 

3 hours ago, 01101000 01100101 01111001 said:

I've bought shirts that were thin like that.

Just a way to increase profits at the consumers expense.

Seems to be a lot of apologists here though.

It doesn't really work that way. While yes, thinner can be cheaper, it isn't always, and it isn't always worse quality. 

3 hours ago, Arika S said:

Yeah, think id rather the world didn't see my bra....

I doubt they would. There's light shining through off the floor. Your body doesn't have the same effect. 

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I also prefer thick t-shirts, you know the kind that is usually 100 bucks or more for one shirt... 

but I do agree with the others, thickness isn't necessarily a sign of quality, tho personally I really don't like these see through shirts... I also don't believe I have a single t-shirt that's thin like this (and I have hundreds). is it made of 100% cotton or anything else? that'd might explain it. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

That’s pretty awful.

These are the kinds of shirts that that show people’s bras and stuff in sunlight or bright lighting.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I agree that the fabric is far from amazing. Saying as someone whose closet is full of 100% cotton shirts. In there the two LMG shirts of 50/50 cotton-polyester are among the worst. I don't know if its the mix or something else, but my back hairs do itch when wearing those shirts. And having to wash them at different batch from the rest is far from ideal.

But I have had mine for 6 months about, used them every now and then, so maybe 5+ washes at 30C/lowered rpm (because I wash wool in the same batch). Yes, I can see through them, but not as bad as you. So I would say this is partly your washing machine or temperature doing its thing, partly the material itself.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I also prefer thick t-shirts, you know the kind that is usually 100 bucks or more for one shirt... 

but I do agree with the others, thickness isn't necessarily a sign of quality, tho personally I really don't like these see through shirts... I also don't believe I have a single t-shirt that's thin like this (and I have hundreds). is it made of 100% cotton or anything else? that'd might explain it. 

Thick shirt and price have no correlation, except that you want to say how much you spend on t-shirts.  $100 t-shirt has no bearing on quality, construction methods (single or double stitch), material, etc.

14 hours ago, Sykaas said:

Shared washing machine
Emerges with holes

Holes emerge in clothing in a washer or dryer usually from impacts of hard items (like jeans buttons or rivets) against the dryer wall (which is metal), the shirt caught between.  Holes do no appear in even thin shirts due to washing and drying PROPERLY.  

Granted, there are many reasons to not like a thin t-shirt (bras, body size/shape, etc).  Mostly it's personal preference.  Like said above, maybe if it's noted what the material is then this would have been avoided.  You may just be happier with a straight cotton shirt. 

Life Is Good t-shirts are where it's at anyway :)

"Do what makes the experience better" - in regards to PCs and Life itself.

Onyx AMD Ryzen 7 7800x3d / MSI 6900xt Gaming X Trio / Gigabyte B650 AORUS Pro AX / G. Skill Flare X5 6000CL36 32GB / Samsung 980 1TB x3 / Super Flower Leadex V Platinum Pro 850 / EK-AIO 360 Basic / Fractal Design North XL (black mesh) / AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz / Mackie CR5BT / Corsair Virtuoso SE / Cherry MX Board 3.0 / Logitech G502

7800X3D - PBO -30 all cores, 4.90GHz all core, 5.05GHz single core, 18286 C23 multi, 1779 C23 single

Emma : i9 9900K @5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200CL16 - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi

Raven: AMD Ryzen 5 5600x3d - ASRock B550M Pro4 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 3200Mhz - XFX Radeon RX6650XT - Samsung 980 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Samsung 27" 1080p

Plex : AMD Ryzen 5 5600 - Gigabyte B550M AORUS Elite AX - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Crucial P3 Plus 500GB + WD Red NAS 4TBx2 - TP-Link AC1200 PCIe Wifi - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - ASUS Prime AP201 - Spectre 24" 1080p

Steam Deck 512GB OLED

OnePlus: 

OnePlus 11 5G - 16GB RAM, 256GB NAND, Eternal Green

OnePlus Buds Pro 2 - Eternal Green

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400MHz, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM 2400 MHz, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

3 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I'll send you a Jimmy Johns shirt for ten dollars, it's thick asf, cheap asf, and will develop holes within the first 2-3 wash cycles

AMD blackout rig

51 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

I agree that the fabric is far from amazing. Saying as someone whose closet is full of 100% cotton shirts. In there the two LMG shirts of 50/50 cotton-polyester are among the worst. I don't know if its the mix or something else, but my back hairs do itch when wearing those shirts. And having to wash them at different batch from the rest is far from ideal.

Wow. Now I'm reconsidering buying lttstore merch for XMas. With how much Linus talks about quality, I'd definitely expected better, for that huge price!

Personally like the light material. I have the new LTT RGB shirt and it's very light and airy without revealing my nipples or skin through the material. 🤣

As someone mentioned before, thicker material is indeed more "nice" rather than thin see-through T-shirt.
But that might not reflect the quality, it might feel like that way though.

I'm pretty sure LTT clothes are just fine quality wise. But this might be something that LTT can think about? Release a T-shirt with thicker material for those who like it?

24 minutes ago, AvMaverick said:

Wow. Now I'm reconsidering buying lttstore merch for XMas. With how much Linus talks about quality, I'd definitely expected better, for that huge price!

Consider that each skin is different, and that part of the price is to support company. With custom prints too. So yeah, it is about double or 30% more than the shirts I buy from local markets (not the fancy type). If I were the type who buys merch to show support, I wouldn't mind. It was just disappointment. The hat is cool and part of my summer wear. But I wouldn't get Tee's again.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

12 hours ago, dizmo said:

I doubt they would. There's light shining through off the floor. Your body doesn't have the same effect. 

well, that also depends on the bra. like i have a few very bright one's (white and light pink) and i'm almost sure you can see those through that fabric. of course i don't own LTT merch so i can't say that for sure, but i'd call it a reasonable guess. 

She/Her

15 hours ago, Arika S said:

Yeah, think id rather the world didn't see my bra....

unless your body is made out of glowing skin, i really doubt that, from the pics and videos i've seen of his staff wearing it, it's highly unlikely that is that case, uless you deliberately try to see through it though

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

I love the shirt. It's thin and super light which makes wearing it on hot days so much nicer. It also washes JUST fine. It's hands down the softest shirt I've ever worn. I think your expectation was just for a different product. It's high quality just not heavy.

Wait so is it actually thin enough to see through or not? I’m getting conflicting signals here lol

id like to buy a shirt but I’d rather now have everyone and their grandma see my binder 

They/Them

rgb go woosh woosh fps higher

Ryzen 5 3600X  | Asus ROG Strix B550-E | Zotac Gaming GeForce RTX 3070 Twin Edge | 32G DDR4 Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro | Corsair RM750x | Corsair 4000D Airflow

Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red | Ducky Mecha Mini | Glorious Model D-

Nintendo Switch | Xbox One

18 hours ago, Sykaas said:

Shared washing machine
Emerges with holes

That could be the washer, I had a washing machine that simply loved to eat clothing, it was getting tugged by the agitator. replaced the machine with a new HE machine that has three little fins instead of a big agitator and no more holes in clothing.

For the price they’re charging that’s kinda bad... saying that though if I want a durable shirt I’ll get a rugby one. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?