Are dual fan RTX 3070's any good?

maizenblue

I have a 300 dollar gift card from microcenter as I returned a processor a while back and that's what they gave me. I plan on using it for a GPU. The problem is their GPU selection is usually pretty crappy. Consisting of bottom barrel aftermarket GPUs from PNY, Zotac or MSI, highly marked up asus or EVGA cards, or high end after market GPUs that are damn near as expensive as a 3080 would be. 

I've seen the MSI Ventus 2X in stock briefly, but if I remember right the Ventus cooler was horrible in 1000 and 2000 series cards. I think in the 1080ti and 2080ti they were totally inadequate for cooling. Is it any good for the 3070? It looks slightly redesigned. I dont plan on OC'ing the card much if at all, I just dont want something that throttles without the fans running full speed or has uncomfortably high vram or VRM temps.

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB

Don’t automatically write off lower end brands. I went with a Palit 3070 Gaming Pro OC and have had no problems and it comes with a 3 year warranty. And the performance is more or less the same as a ‘high end’ 3070 which as you mentioned cost almost as much as a 3080 so in my opinion are not worth it. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

19 hours ago, Bobbysixjp said:

Don’t automatically write off lower end brands. I went with a Palit 3070 Gaming Pro OC and have had no problems and it comes with a 3 year warranty. And the performance is more or less the same as a ‘high end’ 3070 which as you mentioned cost almost as much as a 3080 so in my opinion are not worth it. 

I should have just gotten the Ventus 3070 as god knows when a 3070 for an entry level MSRP comes around again, assuming it would have even remained in stock for the 40 minutes it took me to drive to microcenter, which is doubtful. I have a feeling this shortage will persist for a long time, maybe a year or more. Even the 2080ti could never be found for anything close to its entry level price of $1000 dollars the entire 2 years since it was introduced, and most of that was pre pandemic. 

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700x,  MOBO: ASUS TUF X570 Gaming Pro wifi, CPU cooler: Noctua U12a RAM: Gskill Ripjaws V @3600mhz,  GPU: Asus Tuf RTX OC 3080 PSU: Seasonic Focus GX850 CASE: Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh Storage: 500 GB Inland Premium M.2,  Sandisk Ultra Plus II 256 GB & 120 GB