Help with Video Card (not really for gaming)

denning

Running a pretty decent system I7-6700K, 32gig ram, etc.  but my current video card isn't aging as well as the system R9 390. Been build better to update videocard than do entire new build - 

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/denning/saved/KBVk99

Big need. I run 3 4k monitors - so lots of display ports needed. Watch a lot of streaming video, run a plex server with hardware transcoding. Do some casual video editing etc. I have a Lenovo AR setup but found my computer got too loud when using usually so I usually stick to the consoles.  Extremely unlikely I would ever game seriously.

Was suggested I go for a 3070 but seeing how hard they are to get.  Thought I would reach out on suggestions - what is actually best for my ends.

Connections and quiet are probably my number one feature.

42 minutes ago, denning said:

Running a pretty decent system I7-6700K, 32gig ram, etc.  but my current video card isn't aging as well as the system R9 390.

I run 3 4k monitors - so lots of display ports needed. Watch a lot of streaming video, run a plex server with hardware transcoding. Do some casual video editing etc. I have a Lenovo AR setup but found my computer got too loud when using usually so I usually stick to the consoles.  Extremely unlikely I would ever game seriously.

Was suggested I go for a 3070 but seeing how hard they are to get.  Thought I would reach out on suggestions - what is actually best for my ends.

Connections and quiet are probably my number one feature.

GPUs just don’t age as well as CPUs in general.  I’m running a still functional 4770k, but I’ve been through 3 video cards on that machine. Running the monitors and the video is easy.  The iGPU in your CPU could probably handle it. Plex servers aren’t that hardcore either.  It’s the video editing that is the big dog.  AR might be too.  I have no knowledge of that.  390 is AMD so it might be useful to maintain brand.  Might not though I dunno.  A 5700xt is easy to get and would be a more than 50% boost over what you are running for some stuff.  Amount of memory is the same though and the bus is smaller. A 3070 has all those issues though.  If a 5700xt wouldn’t speed you up neither will a 3070.  Radion VII maybe?  They’re not great gaming cards but they’re compute monsters. And they’re available.  Not cheap though.  Radeon  VII pricing hasn’t gone down much.  The whole compute monster thing isn’t much of a secret.

Edited by Bombastinator

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.