[Intel, come on!] Intel FUDing Ryzen 4000 Performance on Battery

sounds
5 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

At this point, Tiger Lake is going to be a case of a potentially interesting product smeared by an exceptionally questionable (at best) marketing strategy. 

From the entire Tiger Lake launch presentation to this recent one, I really feel like Intel's current marketing's strategy is essentially summed up as "mimic what our fanboys have been doing on YouTube comments". That is to say, find strawman arguments to depict competitors' offerings as being inferior rather than trying to convince people that our products are superior. 

And that's exactly what Tiger Lake's marketing has been, even from launch. Just a whole bunch of insecure marketers trying to find and pick apart strawman arguments in an attempt to convince people that offerings from their competitors are inferior whilst simultaneously failing to adequately market and bring forth the reasons on why people should consider a Tiger Lake machine. 

And honestly, AMD's strategy of limiting peak performance in short bursty workloads on battery power is nothing new. It is a common method even used on Intel machines to conserve battery when peak performance is not required. 

The really strange part is that Tigerlake is the good 10nm product. Intel really hadn't needed to do this. On Desktop, sure, they're in a bad place, but they're still utterly dominant in Mobile sales and the Perf class isn't any different with AMD, realistically. Intel really should be trumpeting the huge performance increases compared to 6th to 8th Gen mobile products, which is what people are likely upgrading from anyway.

Sooo..... Intel says laptops with AMD CPUs perform worse on battery vs AC power, while implying laptops with their CPUs don't do that?

Hmm...

Here's a screenshot after a few Cinebench runs on my laptop, with an Intel CPU, plugged into A/C power...

549566847_Screenshot(1843).thumb.png.3384b12cd60e4a01056ad77da174e6e3.png

And here's the benchmarks re-run after unplugging the laptop (the only thing I changed, plus restarting a few apps)...

651276822_Screenshot(1847).thumb.png.8afb7ddb56a204b70f518bf2c436be25.png

And they want to tell me that laptops with their CPUs don't throttle hard on battery?

@leadeaterpeople want to see dominant companies have to compete. We really don't want to see them shooting themselves in both feet. The first benefits the consumer; the second is a sign things are going to get bad in general.

Ao Intel held a press conference about how AMD had a feature they don't?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

10 hours ago, Arika S said:

Its almost like marketing is designed to paint your product in the best light. This is not new, nor is it exclusive to Intel.

I still won't forget the Bulldozer machine....

AMD FX-CPU's 8-Cores Advertisement - YouTube

This comment shows how many stupid people still exist.

"

Bulldozer was not a bad line of CPUs at all. They beat intel's chips across the boards. There was a smear campaign against AMD over this, where even AMD users were convinced the Bulldozer was bad when it was actually better than everything out there. When Ryzen hit the market, it was basically the same chip with a rebranding and a few tweaks. It's like when you give someone two things to eat and you ask them which is which, and they say sample1 tastes like chocolate and sample2 tastes like carob,when in reality both samples were chocolate."

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

1 hour ago, Taf the Ghost said:

The really strange part is that Tigerlake is the good 10nm product. Intel really hadn't needed to do this. On Desktop, sure, they're in a bad place, but they're still utterly dominant in Mobile sales and the Perf class isn't any different with AMD, realistically. Intel really should be trumpeting the huge performance increases compared to 6th to 8th Gen mobile products, which is what people are likely upgrading from anyway.

And that's the really confusing part for me. When you get past all the "INTEL BAD!!11!" amounts of hate the internet seems to have a hard-on these days (along with the generally just BAD naming scheme, like WTF is 1185G7 supposed to be???), the Tiger Lake mobile CPUs really are interesting and potentially quite compelling. The Iris Xe graphics especially are a major marketing bullet-point on its own.

But much of the marketing material I've seen lately have not really done all that much to reflect on Tiger Lake's big gains over past Intel architectures and especially their 10nm process. Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with first-party marketing (and tbh, I can't be bothered to because all their claims, regardless of company, should be taken with a grain of salt) but Tiger Lake's marketing just really looks like a bunch of marketing men trying to find any little flaw with their competitors' offerings, magnifying them and projecting them as something their own products are significantly superior in.

I feel like this is the sort of thing marketing people do when it is felt that their offerings may not be as competitive as their rivals', but from what I've seen from Tiger Lake in the real world, while this isn't going to set the world on fire, it is a nice improvement from past Intel notebook architectures, so it really puzzles me as to why Intel marketing men decided "AMD BAD, INTEL GUD!!!" was the best way to market a solid product rather than "TIGER LAKE GUD, ICE LAKE POO!!". Logic dictates that they perhaps want as much publicity as possible...

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

18 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

And that's the really confusing part for me. When you get past all the "INTEL BAD!!11!" amounts of hate the internet seems to have a hard-on these days (along with the generally just BAD naming scheme, like WTF is 1185G7 supposed to be???), the Tiger Lake mobile CPUs really are interesting and potentially quite compelling. The Iris Xe graphics especially are a major marketing bullet-point on its own.

But much of the marketing material I've seen lately have not really done all that much to reflect on Tiger Lake's big gains over past Intel architectures and especially their 10nm process. Maybe I just haven't been keeping up with first-party marketing (and tbh, I can't be bothered to because all their claims, regardless of company, should be taken with a grain of salt) but Tiger Lake's marketing just really looks like a bunch of marketing men trying to find any little flaw with their competitors' offerings, magnifying them and projecting them as something their own products are significantly superior in.

I feel like this is the sort of thing marketing people do when it is felt that their offerings may not be as competitive as their rivals', but from what I've seen from Tiger Lake in the real world, while this isn't going to set the world on fire, it is a nice improvement from past Intel notebook architectures, so it really puzzles me as to why Intel marketing men decided "AMD BAD, INTEL GUD!!!" was the best way to market a solid product rather than "TIGER LAKE GUD, ICE LAKE POO!!". Logic dictates that they perhaps want as much publicity as possible...

Yeah, it's really strange from Intel specifically with Tigerlake. Sure, the rest of the lineup is being destroyed at the moment, but Tigerlake (and the Mobile market) is still the spot Intel is doing extremely well in. Intel should be talking about things like 2X or 3X Perf compared to their own previous generations. That's what people own and will care about for comparisons. 

Edit: in a world where Nvidia can find edge case 2X performance improvement Gen over Gen, Intel can't find a 500% improvement in something in mobile from 8th gen?

Didn't Intel also set the power limits on their chips higher for this?
And that whole "AMD doesn't go full performance for 10 seconds" is an option BY AMD for OEMs to implement so there's better battery life?

Jeez Intel, you actually have a good product here. This is just smeering what good it has.

10 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Yeah, it's really strange from Intel specifically with Tigerlake. Sure, the rest of the lineup is being destroyed at the moment, but Tigerlake (and the Mobile market) is still the spot Intel is doing extremely well in. Intel should be talking about things like 2X or 3X Perf compared to their own previous generations. That's what people own and will care about for comparisons. 

My thoughts exactly. The only plausible reason I have in my head for why they're doing this is just so they can get some level of publicity. But I also really feel like Tiger Lake's marketing is overwhelmingly biased towards picking comparisons with rival offerings with very few comparisons to their past-generation products. I get that companies like AMD and NVIDIA also do the same, but at least for AMD, they seem to be learning (at least on Ryzen) that you also have to focus on comparison points to your past architectures to showcase how much of an improvement its become. NVIDIA....hasn't really made much comparisons to Radeon for a while now.

Only thing is...Tiger Lake is a legitimately good product. It can compete with Renoir in many aspects based on third-party information I've been reading up on, so this marketing strategy is very puzzling.

6 minutes ago, CephDigital said:

And that whole "AMD doesn't go full performance for 10 seconds" is an option BY AMD for OEMs to implement so there's better battery life?

Jeez Intel, you actually have a good product here. This is just smeering what good it has.

Not just limited to AMD as some Intel-powered notebooks limit their peak performance during very short, bursty workloads in order to conserve power. It's a common feature especially on notebooks where power-efficiency is important above peak performance.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

1185G7

INTRODUCING, FROM INTEL, THE CORE I99 11985KFAG7+ ON THE REVOLUTIONARY 13.99(++++++++++)NM PROCESS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

seems par for the course, didn't they very recently release marketing materials where they mention AMD way more times than they did their own products?  I forget which silcon launch it was.

Rock On!