EVGA 3080 XC3 Ultra Running Hot!

Pikatchu
Go to solution Solved by Mateyyy,
6 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Its vertically mounted using Cable mod's adapter. It sits reasonably far away from the glass panel.

Would the Lian Li Lancool 2 be fine? or is it a bit worst than the mesh? I am looking to buy my case from Microcenter, and currently the mesh is not in stock.

The Mesh is significantly better in terms of its cooling performance.

Spoiler

0f847de18b53329a0a12907eb5010f3a.thumb.jpg.bbbfe5f15b7f402d16d26c240731c8b5.jpg

Spoiler

87d0c7cd7058db285fa24d0dbcb8d46d.thumb.jpg.ed8e26a510a8d523e7eb6bc7c1ff719e.jpg

I just received my 3080 XC3 Ultra today.

At out of the box, the card easily hit 83C under load and maintained 1755mhz. (Advertised boost clock || Same fan curve as stated below)

After doing some tuning, my temp for 100% load is around 75-77.

Tunings I did:
All fan are at 70% when 60C is hit, after 80C it will sharply raise to 100% fan speed.
Undervolting using MSI afterburner, 900mv at 1800mhz. (Extremely heavy undervolting, considering out of the box is above 1000mv closer to 1100mv for me)

My case set up and fan set up can be seen here: 

My questions:
Should I be looking for a case side-grade? Recommendations? (Moving to a better airflow based case like the LianLi 2 Mesh, or the Meshify C. Ability to fit the vertical adapter is perferred)

Full time technology enthusiast, part time IT.

I mean, your case certainly isn't doing you any favours whatsoever, but are you running it in a vertical mount (like in the thread you linked)? 

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Laptop: 2018 Apple MacBook Pro 13"  --  i5-8259U | 8GB LPDDR3 | 512GB NVMe

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Display: Gigabyte G34WQC

2 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

I mean, your case certainly isn't doing you any favours whatsoever, but are you running it in a vertical mount (like in the thread you linked)? 

Yep. Also to note that without side panel after the tunings, temp stay around 71C, safe to say the case is definitely not helping.

Just now, Drazon said:

To be honest its a very expensive bit of kit and i know you've probable paid a silly price for it but i wouldnt risk pushing it too hard.. you should probably go to wherever you got it from and let them know that its running hot they may be able to help or even replace it for you :) hope this helps.

Robert

Drazonpcs.co.uk

Paid MSRP from EVGA's webstore. A lot of reddit post have been made about EVGA's XC3 models running hot, I guess I knew going into it.

83c under full load isn't terrible, try turning up the GPU fan curve, and turning up your case fans too, so your gpu can get some fresh air.

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 auros pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

Download px1 my evga 2080ti only used 1 of 3 fans untill I used it 

once downloaded go to fan setting and set it to the aggressive curve and try that 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Also don’t use afterburner because evga cards hate it mate 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

2 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Also don’t use afterburner because evga cards hate it mate 

Right, I only use the afterburner to set the voltage curve.
I can't seem to find the option to adjust voltage curve with the PX1, where do you find it? if there even is an option, I can only see the voltage slider and IDK what it does.

Just now, Pikatchu said:

Right, I only use the afterburner cards to set the voltage curve.
I can't seem to find the option to adjust voltage curve with the PX1, where do you find it? if there even is an option, I can only see the voltage slider and IDK what it does.

Applying anything In Afterburner stops 2 of my fans so u need to make sure all 3 are spinning, don’t worry about the voltage curve get it running right at stock first 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 minute ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Applying anything In Afterburner stops 2 of my fans so u need to make sure all 3 are spinning, don’t worry about the voltage curve get it running right at stock first 

All three fans are running.

Il send u a pic of where to find it in px1 in a min but for now close afterburner all together and from system tray and just use px1 and make sure all the fans are spinning up 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

1 minute ago, Pikatchu said:

All three fans are running.

Ok now set it to the aggressive fan profile in px1 and run a game and watch temps 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

32 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Yep. Also to note that without side panel after the tunings, temp stay around 71C, safe to say the case is definitely not helping.

Well... there you go. 

Something like a Lancool II Mesh would offer much better ventilation than your current H510, but it won't change the fact that sticking your graphics card right up against a solid glass panel will result in high temperatures. You're not giving the fans enough room to breathe.

If you're absolutely set on keeping your card mounted vertically, then specifically look for a case that allows a decent amount of space between the card and side panel, when mounted vertically. The Phanteks P500A for example allows for triple slot cards in the vertical mount, meaning that a two slot card won't be pinned right up against the side panel.

That being said, I'd still recommend just mounting the card horizontally.

13 minutes ago, Ebony Falcon said:

Ok now set it to the aggressive fan profile in px1 and run a game and watch temps 

19 minutes ago, Drazon said:

Yeah i guess so... If you havent already you can try bios booting it and ramping up the fans"manually" 

Hope this helps,

Robert

drazonpcs.co.uk

Running the fans at higher speeds won't change the fact that they've barely got any air to breathe in.

Desktop: Intel Core i9-9900K | ASUS Strix Z390-F | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 | EVGA GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER XC Ultra | Corsair RM650x | Fractal Design Define R6

Peripherals: Leopold FC660C w/ Topre Silent 45g | Logitech MX Master 3 & Razer Basilisk X HyperSpeed | HIFIMAN HE400se & iFi ZEN DAC | Audio-Technica AT2020USB+

Just now, Ebony Falcon said:

I already tuned everything, this post is more of a statement of how poor the XC3 cools the 3080 compare to previous gens.
If there is one thing i need help/suggestion, that would be a case.

1 minute ago, Pikatchu said:

I already tuned everything, this post is more of a statement of how poor the XC3 cools the 3080 compare to previous gens.
If there is one thing i need help/suggestion, that would be a case.

750D airflow 

-13600kf 

- 4000 32gb ram 

-4070ti super duper 

Just now, Mateyyy said:

Well... there you go. 

Something like a Lancool II Mesh would offer much better ventilation than your current H510, but it won't change the fact that sticking your graphics card right up against a solid glass panel will result in high temperatures. You're not giving the fans enough room to breathe.

If you're absolutely set on keeping your card mounted vertically, then specifically look for a case that allows a decent amount of space between the card and side panel, when mounted vertically. The Phanteks P500A for example allows for triple slot cards in the vertical mount, meaning that a two slot card won't be pinned right up against the side panel.

That being said, I'd still recommend just mounting the card horizontally.

Its vertically mounted using Cable mod's adapter. It sits reasonably far away from the glass panel.

Would the Lian Li Lancool 2 be fine? or is it a bit worst than the mesh? I am looking to buy my case from Microcenter, and currently the mesh is not in stock.

6 minutes ago, Pikatchu said:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Mateyyy said:

Hide contents

Hide contents

Oh okay, thanks.

31 minutes ago, Mateyyy said:

Hide contents

Reveal hidden contents

One problem with the LianLi mesh, it doesnt come with a fan controller and I am planning to use 7 fans. (3 in the front that comes with the case, 2 top, 2 above PSU shroud)

My motherboard have 2 Chassis Fan headers, which one can drive 2 fan (I have tried 3 before and it wont power it pass 50% fan speed).

Panik

I can omit the 2 above PSU and use another splitter on the CPU fan header for 6 fans total in system, including CPU heatsink fan.

I am still buying (already placed an order) the case, but the FANS.

A small update, so the 74-76 temp is a lie, after long gaming sections the card hit a stable 81Celsius after an hour of gaming.
I bumped the fan speed of chassis fan and GPU fan to 80% to hit 75Celsius after an hour of gaming. It is really loud at this point, 70% is tolerable, 80% is jet engine.

On 11/23/2020 at 2:33 PM, Mateyyy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Reveal hidden contents

Just wanted to thank you for recommending the case to me, it is perfect imo.
With GPU fan set to only 70% and case fan to 50%, I was able to maintain 70C max under gaming load.
That is with overclocking too, 107% power, +150core, +500mem.

A bummer it didnt came with a fan controller, but hey, I can always just add one myself later on.

• 4 weeks later...

Just wanted to say thanks for updating your thread, just scored an XC3 Ultra and was a little worried when I saw people saying it had temp issues. Sounds like your issue was a combination of case and mounting angle.