Adding another resistance to your phone - CAT brand phone with antibacterial protection coating coming soon next year

williamcll

cats32.png

CAT has released many rugged phones the past few years. Most of their phones are priced mid-range but have entry grade performance in exchange for protection against extreme environments. As the epidemic continues to roll across the nation, they have announced that their S42 phone will be upgraded to become the first antibacterial phone. For reference, the S24 uses a quad A53 Mediatek processor, 32GB storage and 3GB RAM with a 4200mAH battery.

The company has worked with additive firm Addmaster to incorporate the addition of its Biomaster antimicrobial technology into the production of its smartphones. This technology has been tested to ISO 22196, an internationally recognised standard of antibacterial protection. According to Bullitt, this solution is an additive integrated into the exterior components of the phone, and inhibits the growth of microbes on its surface. In testing, Biomaster has been proven to reduce bacteria cell replication by more than 80 per cent within 15 minutes, and 99.9 per cent within 24 hours. Bullitt’s first device to ship with the treatment will be the Cat S42 from “early 2021”. Bullitt says other devices in the Cat range will ship with the treatment later in the year, but not its Land Rover Explore R smartphone.

Bullitt’s use of the Biomaster technology marks a continuation of its emphasis on the need to consider smartphone hygiene in the age of Covid-19.

Source: https://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/News/article/bullitt-roll-permanently-anti-bacterial-cat-phones-early-2021
Thoughts: This is certainly useful considering most of us probably still take our phones out when we go out on the streets with people coughing, but how long will the coat last before it wears out?  Can this coating be applied to regular phones as well?

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

“Anti-bacterial” often does more harm than good.  Also it often doesn’t work or doesn’t work very well.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

5 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

“Anti-bacterial” often does more harm than good.  Also it often doesn’t work or doesn’t work very well.

Candida auris (C. auris) seems to be a real nasty fungal infection. Would probably be better to focus on anti-fungal materials instead.

the important thing to know here is if it is bactericidal or bacteriostatic. If it is using a bacteriostatic "coating" then it really isn't doing much. Now if they accomplish this through a copper coating or another heavy metal, you might see diminishing returns in regards to safety. If they do this through chemical means, it is entirely possible that the bacteria can become resistant through a variety of means such as increased transport of the cytotoxins out of the cell or through resistance through mutation of the cellular membrane to not allow entrance to the cytoplasm. (I have a degree in Biotechnology and this is my area of study. Recently did a presentation on antibiotic resistance).

they just want ppl who don't know otherwise to think it'll protect them from covid I bet.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Just now, bcredeur97 said:

they just want ppl who don't know otherwise to think it'll protect them from covid I bet.

that's a somewhat bold assumption, but it would be a good sales tactic in the current environment. Predatory sales tactics are never a good thing, and if they are preying on fear and attempting to boost sales by giving a false sense of security, they should be called on it.

When the product page hasn't been updated since... I guess before September.

image.thumb.png.6bd94b05d4bc1f11c0e8f93e7ab80e16.png

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

The new perfumed sachet to protect against plague.  We’re in the Middle Ages again.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

13 minutes ago, BiotechBen said:

that's a somewhat bold assumption, but it would be a good sales tactic in the current environment. Predatory sales tactics are never a good thing, and if they are preying on fear and attempting to boost sales by giving a false sense of security, they should be called on it.

well they aren't directly saying it protects from covid. But I could see someone buying this misunderstanding and thinking that.

Like your average joe is just gonna lump viruses and bacteria under one category of "stuff that makes me sick" in their head, you know? 

So you couldn't claim they are being predatory. Even though we all know people think this way. It's clever.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

6 minutes ago, bcredeur97 said:

well they aren't directly saying it protects from covid. But I could see someone buying this misunderstanding and thinking that.

Like your average joe is just gonna lump viruses and bacteria under one category of "stuff that makes me sick" in their head, you know? 

So you couldn't claim they are being predatory. Even though we all know people think this way. It's clever.

Yeah, that's the point I'm making. If people are lumping it all together, and don't understand the difference between viruses and bacteria, and they are using it as a market tactic to sell more, expensive, rugged phones, then you could see some marketing person telling the sales dept. that this is going to skyrocket sales. If they genuinely want to make a better phone that is safe for environments like a sewage treatment facility then this is a really cool idea. But if this is a cheap move to sell more phones, then that's kinda scummy. 

JerryRigEverything burn tests all of a sudden make sense. Disinfection of phones using fire!

Could be somewhat good, since e.coli (from poop particulate) is omnipresent on phones due to people bringing their phone with them while they sit on the toilet. Certainly will do nothing against viruses like Covid, though.

That said, how will they achieve this "permanent" protection that, as far as I can understand it from the word "permanent", cannot be washed away?
You often see these kind of coatings on glasses, but it's just that, a coating that goes away if you wash them with anything.
Is this different or is it the same crap where if I use a 70% alcohol wipe on that phone, it will just remove the coating? 
Or is the surface of the phone itself something that makes it impossible for bacteria to live on? The article is not exactly clear on this, not enough info, too lazy to dig deeper.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

but why? Its usually just you who touch your own phone, so I don't really see how this could be helpful. Maybe useful for phones and tablets used as a POS system, especially at trade shows/conventions.

2 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Could be somewhat good, since e.coli (from poop particulate) is omnipresent on phones due to people bringing their phone with them while they sit on the toilet. Certainly will do nothing against viruses like Covid, though.

That said, how will they achieve this "permanent" protection that, as far as I can understand it from the word "permanent", cannot be washed away?
You often see these kind of coatings on glasses, but it's just that, a coating that goes away if you wash them with anything.
Is this different or is it the same crap where if I use a 70% alcohol wipe on that phone, it will just remove the coating? 
Or is the surface of the phone itself something that makes it impossible for bacteria to live on? The article is not exactly clear on this, not enough info, too lazy to dig deeper.

If they used something like copper or silver in the "coating" it would work rather well.

Hmm. I do clean my phone often, maybe general UV light holder that kills bacteria to be common or something. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |