Rene Ritchie criticizes Linus' take on the M1, Linus should reply...

I think makes some good points about Linus' take and I would love to hear what Linus and you guys think about it. If you compare this review with other products like Windows laptops, GPUs, CPUs, phones and etc... then you could see that Linus is kinda going too far, Linus also says that Apple doesn't send him stuff, may be he is salty about it? I don't know but Rene has some good points and was polite unlike that video from Jonathan Morrison which I would never encourage because that was made to put Linus down instead of to have a good conversation about this issue.

I love Linus too, I usually have the same opinions when it comes to tech, but that day after I watched the Keynote from Apple I knew that this chip is gonna be good and there was nothing wrong to say about it except the whole 2 year transition thing, I watched the LTT's video later and I didn't like the way he addressed it, yeah the charts were bullshit but it wasn't as bad as he make it to be.

To put it right, I think the tone of the whole video could be better, it was like he was trying to find faults instead of appreciating it. Anyway I think Rene here has said it better than many others, what do you think about the whole thing?

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

*snip*

Could you link some because I haven't got a good answer?

Edited by wkdpaul

Did I miss it cause LTT hasn't even released a review of the M1 Macbooks yet? I'm not watching this video so I would assume this guy is just reacting to Linus' hot take on the M1 and will most likely change (or not) his opinion once a proper review is done.

Just now, Ajmal Zahir said:

He touched on it in the last 2 WAN shows.

1 minute ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Linus: "I think we shouldn't take companies on what they say as gospel and wait for reviews. If they were that confident they should just label their graphs instead of vague posting"

Everyone: "Fakka u"

Just now, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Did I miss it cause LTT hasn't even released a review of the M1 Macbooks yet? I'm not watching this video so I would assume this guy is just reacting to Linus' hot take on the M1 and will most likely change (or not) his opinion once a proper review is done.

Pretty sure he is reacting to the Keynote reaction LTT did cus there's no M1 reviews up (at least on YT, idk about floatplane) and in the laptop short circuit he was like "wow i am impressed but still disappointed they did the keynote the way they did". This whole thread is nothing and could be deleted lol.

Just now, saltycaramel said:

He touched on it in the last 2 WAN shows.

Yeah but he was like "I wasn't wrong" which is not the answer I expected. My point is that the review was different from the reviews he make for PC's. Anyway I though we should discuss this.

* thread cleaned and moved to the General section *

This isn't Tech News, when posting in the Tech News section, it's important to follow the posting guidelines and the template supplied.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

2 minutes ago, wkdpaul said:

* thread cleaned and moved to the General section *

This isn't Tech News, when posting in the Tech News section, it's important to follow the posting guidelines and the template supplied.

Sorry I don't post much, I though videos from Tech Youtubers would come under this since it's a topic that should be discussed. I was confused after reading the guideline. Anyway thanks for moving.

Just now, Ajmal Zahir said:

Sorry I don't post much, I though videos from Tech Youtubers would come under this since it's a topic that should be discussed. I was confused after reading the guideline. Anyway thanks for moving.

Youtubers disagreeing with each other, even if it's Linus, isn't news.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

7 minutes ago, bit said:

Linus: "I think we shouldn't take companies on what they say as gospel and wait for reviews. If they were that confident they should just label their graphs instead of vague posting"

Everyone: "Fakka u"

Pretty sure he is reacting to the Keynote reaction LTT did cus there's no M1 reviews up (at least on YT, idk about floatplane) and in the laptop short circuit he was like "wow i am impressed but still disappointed they did the keynote the way they did". This whole thread is nothing and could be deleted lol.

I figured as much. This seems like a pointless discussion since we are only talking about Linus' hot take on the M1 and this would be better discussed once a proper review is done. We can't be so reactionary on things that are not based on data/third party reviews.

5 hours ago, Ajmal Zahir said:

Yeah but he was like "I wasn't wrong" which is not the answer I expected. My point is that the review was different from the reviews he make for PC's. Anyway I though we should discuss this.

I mean he wasn't wrong...  he said the event was a dumpster fire, that he was cautiously optimistic about the chops and in the long term it would work out, and cracked a couple of jokes like he does about AMD and Intel.

I used to think apple haters were the only  people that get touchy about things and whine all over the place and apple users were generally calmer on social media except a few quips here and there... this whole BS proved me wrong about it... it is like they did not watch the whole video and just took his jokes and description of the event as offensive against the perfect M1.

Again, it was a first impression of the EVENT not the M1 chip, and they added more info re the charts after the video went up. He literally said wait for the full review of the computers... I wanted his first impression of the pro but that likely got discarded because that was recorded right around embargo time and the info is out of date and people kept complaining about it...

Edit: added "description of the event"

On 11/23/2020 at 1:16 PM, Dissitesuxba11s said:

Did I miss it cause LTT hasn't even released a review of the M1 Macbooks yet?

They haven't, and looks like it won't be out for another month. (?)

3700X, GTX1060, 64GB HyperX 3000, B450 DS3H, 500GB SN750, TT Core G3, PreSonus Audiobox USB96

I know this is unrelated but oh my god, the way he pitches his voice upwards for no reason after every statement is absolutely maddening. Everything he says sounds like a question.

I could never watch him before because of this and I’m reaffirming that now that I’ve watched the video in this thread.

MacBook Pro 16 i9-9980HK - Radeon Pro 5500m 8GB - 32GB DDR4 - 2TB NVME

iPhone 12 Mini / Sony WH-1000XM4 / Bose Companion 20

I’m not a fan of Rene Richie. The way he talks rubs me the wrong way (in the same way I have a hard time with how Steve from GN talks). I also don’t think he’s that knowlegeable whitch makes him a poor mans iJustine (I like iJustine, because she’s always up beat and don’t focus on negatives).

And I still stand by Linuses initial video, except for the click bait title (Linus has explained many times why hey do them). Linus is entiteled to his opinion, I see nothing wrong with it, even if I don’t always share his POV.

Who honestly cares if Linus talks about the M1 or not? If someone wants Apple centric content, go to Macrumors.