Colton's NEW Streaming Setup - Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade

CPotter

That is a nice door, well done Colton.  

"And I'll be damned if I let myself trip from a lesser man's ledge"

2 minutes ago, Drazon said:

intel ?!?!?!? :(((

They are the ones paying for it, so yeah, its a intel rig.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

They are the ones paying for it, so yeah, its a intel rig.

Yeah ik dw lol just joking :) 

How are these set up?  Employees have a budget of 5k and they can use parts from LTT Warehouse as well as buy new items? Some of Colton's upgrades seem used.

The $1000 door has a logic to it, if people can't break in via it, its worth the investment. Imagine buying a $200 door then a $5000 setup and someone spends 30 seconds to break in and steals your setup. That $1000 door doesn't look too bad now does it?

Linus complains about the paint job but ignores the far worst floor job 🤣

image.png.f6d5995b769a46832fc42d7307c1a112.png

@CPotterThat screen can be fixed to be fair.
Your description of "leave video on it for 30 minutes and it suddenly fixes itself." is indicative of a thermal related issue, could potentially be a loose flex on glass connection, not the most trivial thing to fix to be fair. But I would more suspect it to be a problem with a loose data connection between column driver board and the Tcon board. Could also be a dead Tcon board, but that one can usually buy as a spare part, a fairly trivial fix.

Would be interesting to see a video about such a repair attempt. Worst case, the monitor gets even more dead.
Though, most monitors I have fixed through the years have literally just been opening them up, reseating a connector, and then it works like the day it were bought. Except all the dust, dirt and scratches that old monitors tends to be covered in....

Otherwise you seem to have had a fairly decent setup, a bit of a cable mess but that is rather normal.

And linus has already roasted you in regards to dust, I personally clean my own computer at least once per year, some rough cleaning doesn't take more than 20 minutes, though in my case just freeing the computer from its home takes 10 minutes by itself....

Am I insane or did they already do an "Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade" video for Colton a few weeks ago? I can't find it now but I can even remember them talking about how far out in the boonies Colton's house is. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Am I insane or did they already do an "Intel $5,000 Extreme Tech Upgrade" video for Colton a few weeks ago? I can't find it now but I can even remember them talking about how far out in the boonies Colton's house is. 

They had a YouTube story on Colton's Tech Upgrade where Linus was saying Colton didn't own a microwave. 

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Colton and Rileys videos are fairly similar in chaos towards Linus, so you are likely remembering Mr. Piano Man Rileys video.

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Egg-Roll said:

Colton and Rileys videos are fairly similar in chaos towards Linus, so you are likely remembering Mr. Piano Man Rileys video.

Reveal hidden contents

Nah, I figured it out. It was a "upgrading our worst wifi setup" video in summer 2019, I don't know why I thought it was more recent unless the YouTube algorithm just served it up to me a few weeks ago. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

1 hour ago, Middcore said:

Nah, I figured it out. It was a "upgrading our worst wifi setup" video in summer 2019, I don't know why I thought it was more recent unless the YouTube algorithm just served it up to me a few weeks ago. 

The worst part is (usually after 6 or so months) Youtube will nullify your red bar viewing history so you could easily think you never saw it. So you could have seen the video twice which makes you think Colton has had a free PC upgrade already, esp if it gets suggested after watching the newest $5000 PC video (Riley) at that time.

image.png.20b6897cd5fde62767ac9d0e73e8bc5e.png

I know I've watched it, yet no red bar. So let's blame Youtube for this one :)

$5,000 budget. Didn't want to spend $225 on a properly strong Ikea desk.

RIP.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

I don't want to be "that guy" but bad fan guy is coming out for this one :(

did it feel like this was half a video? Like a part 1 of 2 where they show you clips of the final build, nothing really meat and potatoes about the build. 

Why not show before and after transformation shots? There is plenty of B-roll capable shots in both setups, did you cable manage the new build? the RGB which was mentioned but never shown installed in place, or even how is the power supply handling a stress test of the system? did it work out or is it super toasty? What about the cam setup? before and after would be a great set of shots to talk about. Linus has a history of painting, why not buy $10 worth of paint and fix the things you are roasting? This episode (like the others) can easily be 40min of content with minimal extra shooting and editing. 

This one, more than the others, felt like it lacked the polish of their past videos. Overall the Intel Extreme Tech Upgrades series has felt like it wasn't living up to its potential. 

Maybe my expectations are too high but I really hoped for something more. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

This video was hilarious.

I think I found a pic of Colton's other PC

1 hour ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

I don't want to be "that guy" but bad fan guy is coming out for this one :(

did it feel like this was half a video? Like a part 1 of 2 where they show you clips of the final build, nothing really meat and potatoes about the build. 

Why not show before and after transformation shots? There is plenty of B-roll capable shots in both setups, did you cable manage the new build? the RGB which was mentioned but never shown installed in place, or even how is the power supply handling a stress test of the system? did it work out or is it super toasty? What about the cam setup? before and after would be a great set of shots to talk about. Linus has a history of painting, why not buy $10 worth of paint and fix the things you are roasting? This episode (like the others) can easily be 40min of content with minimal extra shooting and editing. 

This one, more than the others, felt like it lacked the polish of their past videos. Overall the Intel Extreme Tech Upgrades series has felt like it wasn't living up to its potential. 

Maybe my expectations are too high but I really hoped for something more. 

Towards the start of the video they said they only have 4 hours to complete the whole thing because a piano tuner was coming over, so maybe there were time constraints.

2 hours ago, Emily123 said:

This video was hilarious.

I think I found a pic of Colton's other PC

Towards the start of the video they said they only have 4 hours to complete the whole thing because a piano tuner was coming over, so maybe there were time constraints.

That accounts for A-role footage and the back and forth banter, piano tuners aren't going to care if someone is shooting silent B-role in another room or cable managing a desk with the door closed. plenty of footage can be had with voice over as well. "we ran out of time before the piano tuner showed up so we'll commentate for a bit" or pause and come back in with just Colton vlog style to show off the completed build that night or next day. 

The best gaming PC is the PC you like to game on, how you like to game on it

2 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

piano tuners aren't going to care if someone is shooting silent B-role in another room or cable managing a desk with the door closed

Due to the current situation the world is in the person showing up has every right to refuse to do service, charge a fee and tell him to rebook which will likely be 1+ month wait, just because LTT was still there. It's simply not worth the risk depending on what was agreed upon as LTT might be responsible for that fee and be best to just leave before they get there. As for returning to complete shooting, it might not be worth it financially as Linus would have to pay the whole crew (potentially even Colton, as it would likely fall under a normal work day for him caused by a situation he had no control over) to go back setup and leave again for what 5-15 minutes of recordings? A cost Intel likely will not cover therefore LTT would be the ones out of pocket. Before you come back saying they could have gotten there earlier, maybe not, maybe the crew left at 6AM from the office and Colton lives 5 hours away, or maybe they started at 9 at the office getting to Coltons at 11, also due to the current situation I doubt LTT crammed everyone into one car so maybe one got lost, plus 30-60 minutes there to setup to record, plus 30 minutes to leave. See how for a simple video it could take a whole day? That 2 hours in the morning doesn't have to be 100% travel either, it could be a 30 minute morning meeting or maybe someone was late that day, or it could even be a tech issue with the cameras, or car issues. Reasons for not showing up on time or a full day are near limitless. Plus it feels like they did it on Coltons day off possibly, which he has every right to plan things in advance for that day.

Note: we don't know how many actually went to Coltons home that day maybe it was only 2 or maybe it was 4, maybe Colton needed to go to work as well just to go back home, not likely since he likely would have took the day off for the piano but we don't know.

Not to mention because it is Coltons home, at anytime he can ask Linus and crew to leave, refusing to leave could lead to trespassing charges.

personally i am more looking forward to Dennis's video. (more stolen stuff from the office?)

PC specs:

Ryzen 9 3900X overclocked to 4.3-4.4 GHz

Corsair H100i platinum

32 GB Trident Z RGB 3200 MHz 14-14-14-34

RTX 2060

MSI MPG X570 Gaming Edge wifi

NZXT H510

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

2 TB WD hard drive

Corsair RM 750 Watt

ASUS ROG PG248Q 

Razer Ornata Chroma

Razer Firefly 

Razer Deathadder 2013

Logitech G935 Wireless

28 minutes ago, Raiden2000_Vulkan said:

Don't you think that can cause a Problem.

That's just decorative sleeving that wraps around the outside of the tubes. If you watch the video he ends up removing them completely.

> Merged with the official thread discussing the video.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Man that NZXT case really isn't airflow friendly, but I guess if Colton isn't a hardcore overclocker he should be just about fine??

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

12 hours ago, GhostRoadieBL said:

With hindsight it did feel like a really short video and I think we missed a lot about showing the before and after.

For example, with Riley's video they added in a phone shot vlog-style recording where he talked about some things he added.

I think it would be great for this series to maybe interview the person who got the make-over to talk about their experiences in their setup, what they have tweaked around, what they might tweak, what they are most happy with, etc.

Especially an update on Colton's desk would be great.

The previous two makeover videos did feel like more of a complete video, which I understand they didn't have as much time as the other times, but they still could have added something afterwards. :/ 

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

This was funny to watch. Linus and him seem like they do really like each other.

I kept thinking though when it was over " Man Colton got the short end of the stick lol ".

What happened to the $5K budget ?

He got a bunch of used parts and put it on an old bent desk. That looked so bad that they should have thrown it out.

I mean I think they could have sprung for a new table for him.

Dude you deserve a redo.

😁