How reliable are Newegg, Amazon, and Bhphotos?

whm1974

OK I'm not sure if this is right place, but I am putting this here due to almost everyone who DIY Computers usually buys their hardware from Newegg and Amazon. Bhphotos while I know some folks buy some stuff from. I never delt with before.

Well I hope I can save some money next year to build a new system if not by the following year then. But wasn't Newegg brought by a Company in China like last Year or so? My main beef with Newegg and Amazon is that they have Third Party Sellers using their Site. I'm not sure How I feel about that, especially if I have to use that Party's Support.

I only deal with purchases shipped and sold either by Newegg.com or Amazon.com. Third party sellers are a PITA to deal with and I'd rather go to a brick and mortar store whether it be Best Buy or Micro Center to buy supplies there (Hint: They also price match online prices). 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

Thanks. I'll do that. How good are bhphotos for buying stuff from them?

bhphoto is fine, i've ordered stuff from them

newegg didn't used to have third party sellers but added it to be essentially more like amazon but only tech related really

newegg i will say is probably my favorite due to how diligent and easy it is to look up past receipts for handling long manufacturer warranties

best buy is a good option and not sure but I'm guessing they still offer handling manufacturer warranties in store (most people don't know about this... its one of the reasons i used to buy gpu's only from them with long warranties because if it broke down i could take it in, get a giftcard for what i paid for and buy something else that day off the shelf with said giftcard --- literally best perk/service when dealing with a gpu failure)

amazon... is ok but good god i swear every year their site gets more and more cluttered and is a pain to shift through -- i would avoid buying anything opened from them/used as I have had issues with that before... as well as having my reviews taken down for a low score due to false claims of condition the product was in...  honestly amazon to me is just shady esecially with their reviews like bundling "similar products" from the same company for tallying a high review score on another product....

25 minutes ago, Dafriz said:

bhphoto is fine, i've ordered stuff from them

newegg didn't used to have third party sellers but added it to be essentially more like amazon but only tech related really

newegg i will say is probably my favorite due to how diligent and easy it is to look up past receipts for handling long manufacturer warranties

best buy is a good option and not sure but I'm guessing they still offer handling manufacturer warranties in store (most people don't know about this... its one of the reasons i used to buy gpu's only from them with long warranties because if it broke down i could take it in, get a giftcard for what i paid for and buy something else that day off the shelf with said giftcard --- literally best perk/service when dealing with a gpu failure)

amazon... is ok but good god i swear every year their site gets more and more cluttered and is a pain to shift through -- i would avoid buying anything opened from them/used as I have had issues with that before... as well as having my reviews taken down for a low score due to false claims of condition the product was in...  honestly amazon to me is just shady esecially with their reviews like bundling "similar products" from the same company for tallying a high review score on another product....

Well I don't buy opened packages to begin with.

I've dealt with B&H for years. In the last 30 +years, I've probably spent $10,000+ in medium format cameras, lenses, accessories, studio, lighting back grounds & darkroom equipment. They have always given extremely good customer service and in helping with questions concerning the products they sell. Shipping has always been quick.

Last thing I purchased was a Panasonic DMC-ZS 100 Lumix  20.1mp camera the beginning of this year.

Only thing is you can not order after sun down Friday till sun down Saturday. Their prices are very competitive too.

They have been around for along time. They aren't here today and poof gone tomorrow.

Just my two cents.

21 minutes ago, wilesbluemoose said:

I've dealt with B&H for years. In the last 30 +years, I've probably spent $10,000+ in medium format cameras, lenses, accessories, studio, lighting back grounds & darkroom equipment. They have always given extremely good customer service and in helping with questions concerning the products they sell. Shipping has always been quick.

Last thing I purchased was a Panasonic DMC-ZS 100 Lumix  20.1mp camera the beginning of this year.

Only thing is you can not order after sun down Friday till sun down Saturday. Their prices are very competitive too.

They have been around for along time. They aren't here today and poof gone tomorrow.

Just my two cents.

I just may start buying from these guys from now on.

I can only say that I used to buy everything at Best Buy and other physical stores.

Which was ok if you know what your buying.

I got bad advice from sales people in them more then once.

Then last year I bought stuff from Amazon for the first time and it was good.

I think probably everyplace has its dos and don'ts.

Hope that is helpful.

😁

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

What if the part you need is not sold by Newegg?

Newegg usually has the parts I need. It is not like building a new System out of Exotic Components Like an AmigaOS Box or using Loongson Processors.

1 minute ago, Intergalacticbits said:

I can only say that I used to buy everything at Best Buy and other physical stores.

Which was ok if you know what your buying.

I got bad advice from sales people in them more then once.

Then last year I bought stuff from Amazon for the first time and it was good.

I think probably everyplace has its dos and don'ts.

Hope that is helpful.

😁

Best Buy now sells Computer Parts again?

Newegg doesn't sell everything - like SATA/IDE, FireWire, and serial/parallel PCIe cards.

All of which I own.

elephants

23 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Newegg doesn't sell everything - like SATA/IDE, FireWire, and serial/parallel PCIe cards.

All of which I own.

Let me look that up real quick....

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

Let me look that up real quick....

Yep they sell serial and parallel PCIe Cards. Even Firewire ones at least.

The FireWire card is useful for communicating with older Macs.

I haven't used the serial/parallel ports yet, but I do know that one of my relatives has an old dot-matrix printer.

elephants

5 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

The FireWire card is useful for communicating with older Macs.

I haven't used the serial/parallel ports yet, but I do know that one of my relatives has an old dot-matrix printer.

I forgot the links.

https://www.newegg.com/Add-On-Cards/SubCategory/ID-73?Tid=168119

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=SATA+PCIe&N=4131

Sorry about that.

Hey if it still works and the Ribbons are still being made. Say Aren't those Printers still made? They might be noisy but the Ribbons are cheaper then Ink Cartridges.

Just wanted to reinforce that B&H is great. They have awesome support, and never had a problem with them before. I'd rather purchase through them than NewEgg actually.
Also specifically for Canadians they're great because they have their own brokerage process so you don't have to worry about ridiculous duties on expensive items as it's included in the price, and often times buying through them is cheaper than buying it in Canada in the first place.

- Personal Rig -

AMD 7950X3D / 64GB G.SKILL DDR5-6000 EXPO / ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC
ASUS ProArt X670E / Noctua NH-D15 Corsair 4000D Airflow / Corsair RM1000x / 4 x 2TB Crucial P5 Plus

- 🪦 HW Graveyard 🪦-

MSI GTX 780 Lightning 3GB 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018
Seasonic Platinum 1000W 🪦🫡 Dec 2013 - Dec 2018

PNY GTX 470 1280MB 🪦🫡 June 2010 - August 2017

Intel Q9550 / Q9450 Systems 🪦🫡 Q1-2008 - Q3-2016
- Desktop Audio Equipment -
ADAM Audio F7's | Topping D30 Pro | Topping A30 Pro | HD598 & HD6XX w/ Sheepskin Pads

Just don't buy from third party sellers only "sold and dispatched by Amazon" 

As most of the rest very well maybe scammers, however sometimes it's a known good seller (with millions of positive reviews) or a shop from manufacturer like "noctua" those are usually safe and in case of noctua, or Bequiet, etc, even preferred. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Mark Kaine said:

Just don't buy from third party sellers only "sold and dispatched by Amazon" 

As most of the rest very well maybe scammers, however sometimes it's a known good seller (with millions of positive reviews) or a shop from manufacturer like "noctua" those are usually safe and in case of noctua, or Bequiet, etc, even preferred.

Well I Prefer to buy from the Actual Site I ordered from, not some Third Party.

14 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Just don't buy from third party sellers

I am however guilty of buying original Japanese KitKat©®™ from a shop in TOKYO called "Sushi - Candy", I can vouch for them their KitKat©®™ is *top notch*  

🤣

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

5 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Well I Prefer to buy from the Actual Site I ordered from, not some Third Party.

Well in case of those manufacturers it's likely faster buying from their Amazon shop (it is really fast usually) and just more convenient as you don't have to make an account for everyone of them (therfore also more safe) 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

I'd definitely buy from B&H and Amazon. Nothing but good things from both of those companies, especially Amazon (if you get screwed over by them, you've done something horribly wrong yourself). I wouldn't touch NewEgg with a 100 foot pole. Horrible customer service, horrible company.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

I'd definitely buy from B&H and Amazon. Nothing but good things from both of those companies, especially Amazon (if you get screwed over by them, you've done something horribly wrong yourself). I wouldn't touch NewEgg with a 100 foot pole. Horrible customer service, horrible company.

Well I haven't ordered any from Newegg in long time but I heard elsewhere that their Customer Service has gotten terrible since the Company was brought out by one in China.

Since I wouldn't trust most Companies in China, I'm not surprised that Newegg's Customer Service has gotten terrible at all.