Ryzen 7 3700x stock cooler vs hyper 212 black edition

Beanman

I am building my first PC soon and am trying to decide on a cpu cooler for the ryzen 7 3700x. I’m trying to decide between the stock cooler and the hyper 212 black. I like the rgb on the stock but am also fine with the mate black on the hyper 212. I won’t be doing much over locking but would like to run as cool as possible. If you have any recommendations then I would appreciate it.

2 minutes ago, Beanman said:

I am building my first PC soon and am trying to decide on a cpu cooler for the ryzen 7 3700x. I’m trying to decide between the stock cooler and the hyper 212 black. I like the rgb on the stock but am also fine with the mate black on the hyper 212. I won’t be doing much over locking but would like to run as cool as possible. If you have any recommendations then I would appreciate it.

The Hyper 212 will be slightly better while producing less noise. I replaced the stock fan on my previous 3700x for a bigger one as it was louder than I liked.

could you wait for a r5 5600x? It would probably be a lot better than the 3700x. 

As for your question, the h212 would probably only give a 1-2% temp decrease, I would save the 40$. 

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

1 minute ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

could you wait for a r5 5600x? It would probably be a lot better than the 3700x. 

As for your question, the h212 would probably only give a 1-2% temp decrease, I would save the 40$. 

Thanks, I’m going for the 3700x because I do a lot of VR and productivity so those extra cores are important. 

Just now, Beanman said:

Thanks, I’m going for the 3700x because I do a lot of VR and productivity so those extra cores are important. 

It depends on which. But I see what you ment there.

I would just stick with stock.

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

Just now, HelpfulTechWizard said:

It depends on which. But I see what you ment there.

I would just stick with stock.

Thanks

4 hours ago, Beanman said:

What kind of applications are you using?

The 3700x only has 2 more cores and the 5600x isn't far behind in heavily multithreaded workloads. Much of productivity and VR still benefit more from faster cores.  

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

What kind of applications are you using?

The 3700x only has 2 more cores and the 5600x isn't far behind in heavily multithreaded workloads. Much of productivity and VR still benefit more from faster cores.  

Blender, general VR. I’ve seen the benchmarks and decided that it’s not worth the wait and extra work for the 5 5600x.

12 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

That also depends. For sustain workload, the Hyper 212 actually give a longer sustain time with their big heat sink. Temperature wise, yes, it only decrease slightly, but that decrease means that the CPU can turbo longer before reaching the temperature threshold and reduce its turbo clock speed to somewhere just a little above the base clock.

My Ryzen 5 3600 can sustain around 3.9GHz all cores with temperature of 71-72C while the ambient temperature is 36C for over 1 hour. Stock cooler would throttled the CPU down to 3.65GHz. Also, I install 2 fans to the Hyper 212 to make push-pull configuration which helps a lot.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.

8 hours ago, Chiyawa said:

36C

out side?

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

14 hours ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

out side?

Yeah. I stayed in tropical country. day time temperature can go as high as 38c, may go up to 42c for a few days.

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.