Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

GPU temperature didn't drop after re-applying thermal paste

Hey!

I have changed the thermal paste of my laptop, the cpu temerature dropped from 70-80 to under 60 in gaming but the gpu is still 92-95. I used 99,9%  isopropyl alcohol to clean and Arctic MX-4.

What should I do? 

cpu.png

welcome to Laptop gaming... Thermals and gaming laptops never go together in the same sentence. 

PSU Tier List Thread

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

"White Ice"

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | EVGA RTX 2080ti | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-16-36 3600mhz | Custom Water Cooling Loop | 1tb Samsung 970 Evo

2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | 2x 3tb Seagate Drive | Fractal Design Meshify S2 |  EVGA G2 750w PSU | 3x Corsair LL140 | 3x Corsair LL120

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 1800x | Asus B450-F Strix | 32gb Gskill Flare X 3000mhz | Corsair RM550x | EVGA GTX 1060 3gb | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks Enthoo Evolv |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Elgato 4k60 Pro mk.2 | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

dont bother yourself with this type of stuff

that 6% gpu at most gives you one or two more frames you wont notice it

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here  and i will be thankful if you send me an opinion here  

23 minutes ago, Skrew6 said:

Hey!

I have changed the thermal paste of my laptop, the cpu temerature dropped from 70-80 to under 60 in gaming but the gpu is still 92-95. I used 99,9%  isopropyl alcohol to clean and Arctic MX-4.

What should I do? 

cpu.png

Did you compare clock speeds before and after? It might clock slightly higher, but the temperature target is the same and since it is a laptop, will hit that temperature target.

32 minutes ago, mahyar said:

dont bother yourself with this type of stuff

that 6% gpu at most gives you one or two more frames you wont notice it

Couple of C can make a huge difference, especially when it means hitting the threshold for throttling which naturally is a lot lower than the theoretical max safe temps. 

It can mean 25 fps with dips or 30 stable, *huge* difference. 

I can only assume you don't game on a laptop, or you just didn't figure this out yet. 

35 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

welcome to Laptop gaming... Thermals and gaming laptops never go together in the same sentence. 

Depends, tho using a laptop cooler with at least 4 fans is a must in my opinion, unless you have AC cranked up to absurdum, which works too, although runs the risk of condensation damage long term (theoretically) therfore a laptop cooling pad is preferable. 

17 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Did you compare clock speeds before and after? It might clock slightly higher, but the temperature target is the same and since it is a laptop, will hit that temperature target.

Totally agree, that's possible and would at least help to figure out what's going on, though as said above, gaming on a laptop without cooling pad will likely always run into temp issues... 

RYZEN 5 3600 | GIGABYTE 3070 VISION OC | 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX 3200 DDR4 | MSI B350M MORTAR | 250GB SAMSUNG EVO 860 | 4TB TOSHIBA X 300 | 1TB TOSHIBA SSHD | 120GB KINGSTON SSD | WINDOWS 10 PRO | INWIN 301| BEQUIET PURE POWER 10 500W 80+ SILVER | ASUS 279H | LOGITECH Z906 | DELL KB216T | LOGITECH M185 | SONY DUALSHOCK 4

LENOVO IDEAPAD 510 | i5 7200U | 8GB DDR4 | NVIDIA GEFORCE 940MX | 1TB WD | WINDOWS 10 GO HOME 

1 hour ago, Naijin said:

Fudge, didn't think about doing that...

12 minutes ago, Skrew6 said:

Fudge, didn't think about doing that...

Now I think of it, did you try setting a temperature target in MSI afterburner for example? This will reduce clocks and fps though, but keep your system cooler.

3 minutes ago, Naijin said:

Now I think of it, did you try setting a temperature target in MSI afterburner for example? This will reduce clocks and fps though, but keep your system cooler.

I can't, the slider is locked, can't move it...

yyrrrrr.PNG