Are you Loyal to Apple !!!

K2theC

Hey Tech Enthusiasts,
Greetings!

We are a group of 5 students doing a research for our Marketing research class (PGDM 20-22, Greatlakes Institute of management, Chennai).

We are taking a quick survey to understand what has made Apple, the brand that it is today. We would love to hear the LinusTechTips community take on the subject. It would be of great help to our study.
Request you to spare a few minutes for the same and answer the questions in the link below.

https://forms.gle/SRxjvGqny6eQbHTQ9

Thank you!

I completely agree to you @Arika S, but honestly all of us know that some people are loyal to a brand for no reason. Be it Apple or any other. Apple without a doubt has created a brand image that no other brand has, and I am saying this without owning any apple products.

22 minutes ago, K2theC said:

Hey Tech Enthusiasts,
Greetings!

We are taking a quick survey to understand what has made Apple, the brand that it is today. We would love to hear the LinusTechTips community take on the subject. It would be of great help to our study.
Request you to spare a few minutes for the same and answer the questions in the link below.

Thank you!

You can’t be loyal to a company, that’s just stupid. You can go to them because of experience and reputation but loyalty would mean you’re just going to them for the logo without anything to back it up which some people do but they aren’t a significant number. Apple are the company they are today mainly due to Steve Jobs and having a good brand image. When you buy something from Apple you’re expecting it to work as advertised, have great customer service, have intuitive software that’s easy to use and to have less issues than you would with competing products. Up to present they’re delivering that in most cases so people go back to them. 

Dirty Windows Peasants :P ?

I think 'loyal' is even a weird word to use when talking about a company.

Definition:

giving or showing firm and constant support or allegiance to a person or institution.

Why would I give "constant support" to a company? They take my money, I get a product. No amount of constant support (morally, financially, etc.) should also be given.

Loyal is a word I expect to be used when talking about royalty in the past-times, where you paid taxes and had to be loyal, or else you were executed. I think 'loyal' is not the appropriate word to use when talking about a company in modern times, as a customer should judge a company based on their products (and the support of these products) and they should pay with money; not loyalty of any kind.

But that's just my opinion on the matter.

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Apple are a phenomenon,there is nothing normal about them.

They brainwash people with a lot of psychology in their marketing and in-store,

It developed into a cult like community,a closed and restrictive eco-system and a restrictive closed garden policy that is very similar to how cults act.

I have inspected Macs from the inside to the outside and here is what i think about them:

On the inside they are cheap crap (terrible cooling solution,bad board design,cheap VRMs,cheap low speed RAM,and more),

on the outside they are top-notch quality (Sturdy aluminum case,really nice display).

Considering the crap they put inside their laptops,if it were from a different brand it would be worth $200~$500.

So there is a lot of psychological manipulation at play here.

I don't expect many of the PC enthusiast community to fall for that manipulation,since people in our community tend to be more smart and intelligent than the average person.

If we have a hardware problem with our machine we fix it,Mac users on the other hand just go to the Apple store or even throw it in the trash.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

1 minute ago, Vishera said:

Apple are a phenomenal,there is nothing normal about them.

They brainwash people with a lot of psychology in their marketing and in-store,

It developed into a cult like community,a closed and restrictive eco-system and a restrictive closed garden policy that is very similar to how cults act.

I have inspected Macs from the inside to the outside and here is what i think about them:

On the inside they are cheap crap (terrible cooling solution,bad board design,cheap VRMs,cheap low speed RAM,and more),

on the outside they are top-notch quality (Sturdy aluminum case,really nice display).

Considering the crap they put inside their laptops,if it were from a different brand it would be worth $200~$500.

So there is a lot of psychological manipulation at play here.

people are willing to pay so much money for a product, if it has a logo on it, huge companies like apple and corsair use that, and people who make fake products do so much to put that logo on it and make it realistic. I am not saying they should never buy from a famous company, I'd give my pocket to corsair anytime, but just some companies go too far

I have an iPhone and almost everytime I want to do something with it, it either puts up a fight or just gives me the big fat middle finger.

Remote control of the phone? Impossible.

Transfer files that are a random file format like a PDF? Nope

Copy MP3 files? That's going to cost you money bro because that's going to require a paid third-party tool. Same goes for video's.

Different launcher? Good luck with that.

Sideload apps? Another nope.

It just fights me constantly anytime I go near it. Currently it's nothing more than an absolutely overpriced feature phone with a good camera for me.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Just now, Ankh Tech said:

people are willing to pay so much money for a product, if it has a logo on it, huge companies like apple and corsair use that, and people who make fake products do so much to put that logo on it and make it realistic. I am not saying they should never buy from a famous company, I'd give my pocket to corsair anytime, but just some companies go too far

AMD are also trying to build their own cult,they actively promote it but it's not working well look at their Red Team and Red Team+ programs,their members can order products before anyone else and many other benefits that are discriminatory in nature that the average customer just can't get.

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz

8 minutes ago, Vishera said:

AMD are also trying to build their own cult,they actively promote it but it's not working well look at their Red Team and Red Team+ programs,their members can order products before anyone else and many other benefits that are discriminatory in nature that the average customer just can't get.

yeah, if they drop that, it would be much better, they "reserve" products to them, so they can increase availability y dropping that, or at least make it less that of an advantage

1 hour ago, K2theC said:

We are taking a quick survey to understand what has made Apple, the brand that it is today.

Who is "we"?

41 minutes ago, Vishera said:

I don't expect many of the PC enthusiast community to fall for that manipulation,since people in our community tend to be more smart and intelligent than the average person.

I find that to be highly delusional. Talking about cults :P 

While Apple will hardly get a following among custom PC enthusiasts, that's mostly related to Apple being completely absent from that segment - even actively opposing it. But there's no shortage of brands doing the same to various degrees of success in this market too.

6 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I find that to be highly delusional. Talking about cults :P 

That was not a baseless statement,since the hobby of PCs requires PC enthusiasts to use their heads (for example: troubleshooting problems and issues,tuning a PC requires knowledge about the component that is being tweaked,and more)

Unlike Apple enthusiasts that don't need to use their heads much - they just go to the Apple store.

That was not a baseless statement,since the hobby of PCs requires PC enthusiasts to use their heads (for example: troubleshooting problems and issues,tuning a PC requires knowledge about the component that is being tweaked,and more)

which many of them don't do.

Personally, I don't find the distribution in this forum, for example, to be any different from that of the general population.

You have a theory on why it could be the case, but it would need some evidence to back it.

Unlike Apple enthusiasts that don't need to use their heads much - they just go to the Apple store.

That is sometimes the smarter way to use your time, though. We all rely on technicians to fix some things; specifically, those we are not qualified to deal with it, or don't like to deal with.

i'm loyal to them, just because of how familiar their products are and how used to them i am. if i was looking for a new phone for example i would exclusively look for iPhones, i wouldn't even consider Android. same for my laptop, i would shop for MacBooks specifically. 

She/Her

Just now, SpaceGhostC2C said:

That is sometimes the smarter way to use your time, though. We all rely on technicians to fix some things; specifically, those we are not qualified to deal with it, or don't like to deal with.

There is a limit to how many things a person can know how to fix...

But back in the 60s people mostly fixed everything themselves (in a lot of cases it didn't turn out well due to lack of experience and knowledge).

They even did electrical wiring work in their houses... (it created a lot of safety hazards)

Guys Thank you so much for all the replies...I have been watching Linus since long ago and knew the community wouldn't disappoint.
I personally have used some Apple products but am not loyal in anyway to the company...as many of you have said, Its about the product not the brand.
On the fix your own products aspect, I am completely of the opinion that we should be allowed to do that.

Also Ladies and Gentlemen, seeing the spirited discussion, please fill the google form. It will be of much help to me.
Thanks.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Who is "we"?

We is a group of 5 members doing a market research project...

29 minutes ago, Ashley xD said:

i'm loyal to them, just because of how familiar their products are and how used to them i am. if i was looking for a new phone for example i would exclusively look for iPhones, i wouldn't even consider Android. same for my laptop, i would shop for MacBooks specifically. 

And still you have a PC setup most people can only dream about...

Just now, K2theC said:

Those old Xeons will be nice for a workstation and the 290X is good,but i wouldn't call it a dream PC.

12 minutes ago, K2theC said:

nah. it's very old and for a workload like gaming it sucks. it's good in multi-threaded tasks like heavy multitasking and sutff but for things like gaming it's so bad (the witcher 3 on ultra uses like 6 threads, and even then it dumps most of the load on 1 or 2 threads)... 

2 minutes ago, Vishera said:

Those old Xeons will be nice for a workstation and the 290X is good,but i wouldn't call it a dream PC.

the ram amount is also very nice to have, and i have a lot of potential for upgrading there. my motherboard supports 192gb of ram lmao

She/Her

Just now, Ashley xD said:

the ram amount is also very nice to have, and i have a lot of potential for upgrading there. my motherboard supports 192gb of ram lmao

Also that power supply is sweet :D

-> Moved to Off Topic

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Hello everyone,

Now that this topic has been moved back to off topic, I'd like to request you to fill the form.

We are a group of 5 students doing a research for our Marketing research class (PGDM 20-22, Greatlakes Institute of management, Chennai).

Many people have viewed to topic, but not filled the form. Even if you are not an apple user, please say NO for the first question and submit the form.

The Linustechtips community help is much appreciated.

Thanks and always open to discussion...

I was but then Google released a phone for half the price of the cheapest iphone 12 & all the other iPhones in between were too big imo.