Why can we not have any sort of standard for RGB?

jerkwagon
Go to solution Solved by Ωmegα,
5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Because everyone thinks they can do it better, and working together to create one standard is expensive and complicated.

OpenSource the shit out of it. I heard there are a few opensource projects. There is one very promising.

Edit: Found it -> https://gitlab.com/CalcProgrammer1/OpenRGB

I haven't done any research about it, so I don't know much. I found it on a Reddit post and people commented that it works with most if not all brands.

Why would i ever want 4 apps to run RGB on my 4 different peripherals.? 

Ram use ram RGB SYNC

case, use Xcool Case RGB 

Cooler and fans, Use icue 

mobo use aurora sync

i made some of these names up  but for the love of good can we not just get a single UI that just works?   Clearly almost every RGB app i have used was made by a intern as a side project.  XPG is still beta and it came out in 2017.  EVGA has 6 different apps one for the case, one for the cooler, one for the hybrid cooler,   They all have the worst UI,  i just started using iCUe and that was actually promising. 

Is this just corporates greed?  How hard wouid it be to open source something just to work?

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

Because everyone thinks they can do it better, and working together to create one standard is expensive and complicated.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

Money.

Standards

Correct answer.

In an ideal, correct, situation RGB should just be running off a USB2 header and a SATA power connector, and the system just sees a USB lighting controller, but that would add an expense and a USB-IF standard.

Another way would be to have a DMX controller type setup, where the computer's RGB is also part of the room/house lighting system. The computer can either override or pass-thru lighting signals in the case, or send it's own lighting commands to other devices on the DMX. However DMX was not designed with modern security, so yeah. There's also the problem of plugging in RJ-45 devices that aren't lighting controllers into it, which might kill things on the lighting bus.

At any rate the motherboard manufactures need to come together and agree on a PC lighting standard before someone comes along and does it for them and they end up on the losing-end.

If you can lock someone into your company standard like the Corsair iCue with a proprietary standard that is nice from a certain perspective. If you are sticking to functional requirements people are going to be more price sensitive but you go and look at more non-functional aesthetic areas there you can get people to open their mind to consider a whole experience like you're Apple or something. You go to the market in India or Mexico you haggle in a way that is more true to the adversarial nature of the sale. Standard pricing is an obstacle to being able to extract the most amount of money from someone that is willing or able to pay more (Collector's Edition, Pre-Order Bonus, Founders Edition).

3 hours ago, otomik said:

If you can lock someone into your company standard like the Corsair iCue with a proprietary standard that is nice from a certain perspective. If you are sticking to functional requirements people are going to be more price sensitive but you go and look at more non-functional aesthetic areas there you can get people to open their mind to consider a whole experience like you're Apple or something. You go to the market in India or Mexico you haggle in a way that is more true to the adversarial nature of the sale. Standard pricing is an obstacle to being able to extract the most amount of money from someone that is willing or able to pay more (Collector's Edition, Pre-Order Bonus, Founders Edition).

well my point is RGB is very simple and easy to have a standard..  i know there are many types which would cause the bigger issue.  because you can have rgb, rgbw, and individually addressable etc.. but the shit mess of having potentially 6 different opertators of your lights is crazy. 

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG

All this RGB bs is why I've completely given up on the aesthetics part of the build, as long as it boots up and performs up to my expectations I could care less whether it lights up or what colour is it lighting up

Its just so much faff and nonsense, proprietary connectors, crap software, sometimes needing an entire controller that the case doesn't come with not to mention the extra unnecessary work for cable management. But I guess some people enjoy being tortured trying to get their RGB working, so power to them I suppose.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600  Heatsink: ID-Cooling Frostflow X GPU: Zotac GTX 1060 Mini 6GB RAM: KLEVV Bolt 3600Mhz (2x8GB) Mobo: ASUS B550-F ROG Strix (Wifi)  Case: Fractal Design Meshify C PSU: Deepcool DQ-M-V2L

5 hours ago, kelvinhall05 said:

OpenSource the shit out of it. I heard there are a few opensource projects. There is one very promising.

I haven't done any research about it, so I don't know much. I found it on a Reddit post and people commented that it works with most if not all brands.

-> Moved to Cases and Mods

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

On 11/23/2020 at 12:26 AM, Ωmegα said:

This app is amazing, thanks soo much!!

Ryzen 5 -5600x

ASUS x570

EVGA 3080 XC3

4x8gb 3600 mhz XPG