Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Does the PS5 Require Internet Connection?

Hi, I was wondering if I bought a Playstation 5 and a few games on disc. 1. Would I be able to play then without ever connecting the console to my router? Does the game come playable on the disc without the need to download anything? (even if its without patches). 2. And is the Operating system working without updating, even if its not the latest version? 3. Do I need internet to create an account, or can I play without one, or can I create a "local" profile? (for the purpose of saving progress, like on the xbox360 I have) idk if the system even has user profiles but just wondering.

Thanks for any advice.

Well sorta. Basically almost every developer wants a always online connection for drm or whatever else purposes which is annoying as this is also true for a fair few single player only games.

You can only play games that support the version of the os you are on. If a game needs a newer version you will need to update and those updates are downloads usually.

You can make a local profile no problem.

I was thinking, what games would I want to play on the new ps5? well; (my xbox 360 can do these, without any online connection, but of course the older versions of the games.)

Gran turismo (2 or 4 player split screen)

Fifa with 2 or 4 players

The next GTA game, singleplayer

The next Skyrim game, singleplayer

Perhaps CoD (4 player split screen)

Do you have any suggestions for games to get?

Yes you can use it without ever connecting online. I don't know why you want to be so paranoid though.

A lot of games don't have full functionality without a day one patch.

Not connecting a console to the internet is a good way to get a broken experience. Even if you never pay for PSN+, not being online means that your games will never get patches and your console will never get firmware updates to fix problems. It will likely work, but it would only work with the default guest account, meaning you are going to miss out on collecting trophies.

On 11/22/2020 at 9:18 AM, Kimmaz said:

I was thinking, what games would I want to play on the new ps5? well; (my xbox 360 can do these, without any online connection, but of course the older versions of the games.)

Gran turismo (2 or 4 player split screen)

Fifa with 2 or 4 players

The next GTA game, singleplayer

The next Skyrim game, singleplayer

Perhaps CoD (4 player split screen)

Do you have any suggestions for games to get?

Since folks didn't suggest games, I'll recommend a few.

The highlight for me is Spider-Man: Miles Morales. It's relatively short, but it's a blast to play with an engaging story and great mechanics you learn to embrace over time. Makes good use of the console, too. After the start, there are basically no load times — just gameplay to cutscene and back again as effortlessly as can be. You might want to buy the deluxe version if you haven't played the original Spider-Man, since that includes a remastered version of the first game.

I've also heard good things about the Demon Souls remake, although I haven't played it myself. Mainly that it's a huge visual improvement while keeping what made the original appealing.

FIFA 21 gets its PS5 update on December 4th, so you can buy it then to get all the technical benefits of the new system. Mainly improved visuals and animations as well as some fresh camera angles.

I've heard the latest Call of Duty (Cold War for those in the back) is good, but not great. I'd honestly rather focus on Warzone myself, and that's free to play.

For Gran Turismo, wait until GT7 arrives . In theory that's the first half of 2021, although we all know how Polyphony Digital's release schedules work. It's a title that could easily take advantage of the PS5.

After that... well, some games benefit from the PS5 even if they don't have next-gen updates. Destiny 2 won't get its PS5 update until December 8th, but it already loads so much faster and is generally nicer to play.

The only REAL reason to get the PS5 spesificaly would be a new Gran Turismo. Its such a good game. I have considered buying a ps3 or ps4 to get a new version of the game, I have played Gran turismo 5 or was it 6 a few times and I would try and get that. And I dont have a TV anymore, so I really need a console that supports wireless controllers. got a 150" projector screen, so the console needs to be in the back of the room, not under the screen like with a TV.  But In the end, a bit too much to pay hundreds of dollars buying a box for a single game,

As for the "offline", I got a computer. and all my prevoius consoles has had fully working games on disk/cartage. I dont want to use updates and bug fixes on a console, it would not be the same experience. If I do need to patch and update my games in 2020, ill choose to buy them on my computer then.

Lol. So you're OK with a computer needing to update games but not a console? They are literally the same games running on almost the same hardware.

On 11/22/2020 at 2:46 PM, jaslion said:

Basically almost every developer wants a always online connection for drm or whatever else purposes

can you name a few of these games? because I know none outside of purely online only games obviously,

53 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Lol. So you're OK with a computer needing to update games but not a console? They are literally the same games running on almost the same hardware.

Only Billy Gates gets his data, not this untrustworthy Sony Pony dude, I don't see the issue!!! 

AMD stands for Advanced Micro Machines

-ColdFusion, 2021

On 11/25/2020 at 6:02 PM, Commodus said:

free to play.

@ OP:  that's code for "always online" btw ;)

-ColdFusion, 2021

8 hours ago, dilpickle said:

Its about the idea of a console, its not about data collection or anything.. I assume you like updates and online. Can you tell me a advantage to having updates then?

1. They make a full game with all features in place and almost no bugs and realease it. and never update the game. but they spend a year extra before releasing it.

-You know what you are buying. And reviews are acurate. 

2. They make a buggy mess with half of the main feature or story missing and that doesnt work half the time and singleplayer doesnt work due to servers being overloaded. They spend 6 months patching the game before it becomes decent, after a year it ends up identical to the game in alternative 1.

-You dont know if the game will be a faliure or if it will be a great game when you buy it, because its not finished yet. The Reviews does mean less since anything can change later on.

-You play the game before its really finished and end up tired of it before its done, and probably wont re-play it when its actually fuully made.

-In some cases the game is never finished and just abandomed.

I see very few advantages to situation 2.  but thats just me. as for why I accept it in pc,,For me the whole idea of a console is that it should play games, not act as a computer.

2 hours ago, Kimmaz said:

. They make a full game with all features in place and almost no bugs and realease it. and never update the game. but they spend a year extra before releasing it.

examples?

2 hours ago, Kimmaz said:

You know what you are buying. And reviews are acurate. 

examples? 

you know... it looks like by avoiding "updates" you're trying to be in that "perfect world" with "finished products" and stuff... problem is devs purposefully withhold things they can put as "updates" later, because people *love* the idea of getting "added value" later on through updates... 

yes, it's quite hilarious, point is in almost all cases you aren't getting a finished product anymore or one that's meant to be finished. 

-ColdFusion, 2021

7 hours ago, Kimmaz said:

Its about the idea of a console, its not about data collection or anything.. I assume you like updates and online. Can you tell me a advantage to having updates then?

1. They make a full game with all features in place and almost no bugs and realease it. and never update the game. but they spend a year extra before releasing it.

-You know what you are buying. And reviews are acurate. 

2. They make a buggy mess with half of the main feature or story missing and that doesnt work half the time and singleplayer doesnt work due to servers being overloaded. They spend 6 months patching the game before it becomes decent, after a year it ends up identical to the game in alternative 1.

-You dont know if the game will be a faliure or if it will be a great game when you buy it, because its not finished yet. The Reviews does mean less since anything can change later on.

-You play the game before its really finished and end up tired of it before its done, and probably wont re-play it when its actually fuully made.

-In some cases the game is never finished and just abandomed.

I see very few advantages to situation 2.  but thats just me. as for why I accept it in pc,,For me the whole idea of a console is that it should play games, not act as a computer.

Here's the unfortunate truth, though: game updates have been a thing for over a decade at this point. If you refuse to buy a console because your games might get updates and patches... basically, you've committed to never buying a console again. Companies will never go back, and I don't use the term "never" lightly.

There are plenty of advantages to console game updates. First, even minor updates can add features that simply weren't ready for a timely launch or hadn't been considered at the time. Everything from new game styles to nice-to-haves like a photo mode. I like that many games now have "seasons" (at least when some of the seasonal material is free), so there's a reason to keep coming back even if you've exhausted the original material. This doesn't necessarily mean the initial game was unfinished — sometimes it's just about growing and evolving.

As for bug fixes, there's a practical reality you have to accept: the days of getting a perfectly polished console game on launch are over. That was relatively feasible in the '80s and '90s because the games themselves weren't that large or complicated — it was a time when just a few people could make a classic game. There is such a thing as making sure a game is relatively bug-free for its initial release, but I'd much rather get updates than discover a previously unnoticed flaw that will remain for all eternity.

Basically, I'm worried that you're going to be one of Those People who wait for an industry reversal that never comes and suffer as a result. Like those people who hold on to six-year-old phones in the vain hope companies will bring back removable batteries. Standing on principle is often a good thing, but all you're really doing here is depriving yourself of memorable games.

On 11/26/2020 at 10:49 PM, Kimmaz said:

The only REAL reason to get the PS5 spesificaly would be a new Gran Turismo. Its such a good game. I have considered buying a ps3 or ps4 to get a new version of the game, I have played Gran turismo 5 or was it 6 a few times and I would try and get that. And I dont have a TV anymore, so I really need a console that supports wireless controllers. got a 150" projector screen, so the console needs to be in the back of the room, not under the screen like with a TV.  But In the end, a bit too much to pay hundreds of dollars buying a box for a single game,

As for the "offline", I got a computer. and all my prevoius consoles has had fully working games on disk/cartage. I dont want to use updates and bug fixes on a console, it would not be the same experience. If I do need to patch and update my games in 2020, ill choose to buy them on my computer then.

Consoles are literally computers now they have been that way since the ps4 and xbox one. So basically don't get a console then if you don't wanna do that. The ps3/xbox360 were still sorta hybrids of how games were done before and how they would be done.

I mean almost any game now has a day one patch that is required to even play the game or isn't even fully on the disk even. Almost any game you'll get will need to get something from the internet to work properly. So yeah don't get a console in your case if you don't want that.