iPhone for mom? 11 vs 12

The Torrent

She’s always had iPhone and doesn’t want Samsung.

I heard you can’t repair 12s? I feel like this would be a dealbreaker can anyone confirm?

also 11 is £200 cheaper.

4 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

I heard you can’t repair 12s? I feel like this would be a dealbreaker can anyone confirm?

also 11 is £200 cheaper.

You haven't been able to repair iphones for a while now. Unless you go to apple as they hardware lock every single component to a phone meaning that for example a perfectly working display from one iphone cannot be used on another one without them allowing it using a software they have. So in a sense you can repair them but you can't use them afterwards because apple said so.

What does your mom do on the phone? Text, call, take the occasional picture, browse a social media,.. all that stuff can be done on like a iphone 6 no problem too so really it doesn't matter which one you get they'll all perform the same for her anyways if that is all she does.

If it's only for basic use and your mom isn't massively technically inclined then buying the flagship is throwing money down the drain. Assuming that she wants something new then just buy an SE, or if she wants the new "notched" design an XR.

I would imagine the 11 and the 12 have similar non-repair-ability. If anything the 12 will be worse.

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

pythonmegapixel

into tech, public transport and architecture // amateur programmer // youtuber // beginner photographer

Thanks for reading all this by the way!

By the way, my desktop is a docked laptop. Get over it, No seriously, I have an exterrnal monitor, keyboard, mouse, headset, ethernet and cooling fans all connected. Using it feels no different to a desktop, it works for several hours if the power goes out, and disconnecting just a few cables gives me something I can take on the go. There's enough power for all games I play and it even copes with basic (and some not-so-basic) video editing. Give it a go - you might just love it.

6 hours ago, The Torrent said:

also 11 is £200 cheaper.

I'd say 11 if she's not particularly demanding. The 12 is definitely better overall between the display, updated cameras and 5G, but I don't know that they're 200 quid better unless your mum wants more.

The "can't repair 12s" thing isn't true. Those initial reports that you couldn't swap cameras, for example, turned out to be an isolated incident (iFixit hasn't had problems with other cameras). Maybe the Face ID module, but there are obvious security reasons why you wouldn't want to let just anyone swap that part out.

Depends on what she is using it.But iphone 11 should be enough for almost every user

While the iPhone 12 has a way better display, 5G and a faster CPU I would still go for the 11. The reason is that it is more than good enough for non power users and has better battery life which in my experience is one of the things such people really profit from.