Make any thread title with a URL in it need automatic human approval

Master Disaster

Is it possible to make any thread where the title contains a URL need human approval before going live?

I honestly don't see any legitimate reason why a normal user would put a URL in the thread title.

I'm not familiar with the moderation abilities of IPB but if it has a moderation queue function then doing this would stop a good chunk of bot spam from ever being posted.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

it seems like an interesting idea.. if possible.

that said, if a spammer notices that, wont they just make threads with the link somewhere in the body of the post?

3 minutes ago, Master Disaster said:

Is it possible to make any thread where the title contains a URL need human approval before going live?

I honestly don't see any legitimate reason why a normal user would put a URL in the thread title.

I'm not familiar with the moderation abilities of IPB but if it has a moderation queue function then doing this would stop a good chunk of bot spam from ever being posted.

maybe, using coding to look for http/s or www. in a title, then stopping it from going live, then a human can approve

Just now, manikyath said:

that said, if a spammer notices that, wont they just make threads with the link somewhere in the body of the post?

well, they might check the whole thread text, which will be really annoying to normal people asking about a product, or they could make it so that if it is something like amazon, they could allow it

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

Yeah but thing thing with a bot is it doesn't really know if its post actually went live or not, it just sends the request to add the data then moves on.

It wouldn't work for bots that post URLs in the main body but those exist already.

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

2 minutes ago, Ankh Tech said:

well, they might check the whole thread text, which will be really annoying to normal people asking about a product, or they could make it so that if it is something like amazon, they could allow it

That wouldn't be a good idea. A very large amount of posts have very legitimate reasons to post links, images, youtube embeds, twitter embeds, builds, PCPP links, shopping links, software links, heck Tech Reviews REQUIRE you to post a link. The mods would be swamped with approvals and would have no time to actually mod.

But there's no need to ever put a URL in a thread title.

I've never seen that type of spam here, only in the body and usually using the popular "cloaking" techniques...

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

The current system uses keywords in combination of other factors. I'm fairly sure the issue with this (and why its not implemented yet) lies in how forum software works. As in Status Updates, threads and posts are treated as equals. So forcing just links at start of those, even with just threads and SUs, would mean a lot of false positives.

So please just keep reporting and we will improve things based on those.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

The base forum software is fairly limited in its tools to do things like that (although we do have several pages worth of blacklisted phrases). It does make sense to filter out URLs in titles though, and it something that I've been planning to do something custom about for a while.

HTTP/2 203

Wait there are humans in this place?

My computer for gaming & work. AMD Ryzen 3600x with XFR support on - Arctic Cooling LF II - ASUS Prime X570-P - Gigabyte 5700XT - 32GB Geil Orion 3600 - Crucial P1 1TB NVME - Crucial BX 500 SSD - EVGA GQ 650w - NZXT Phantom 820 Gun Metal Grey colour - Samsung C27FG73FU monitor - Blue snowball mic - External best connectivity 24 bit/ 96khz DAC headphone amp -Pioneer SE-205 headphone - Focal Auditor 130mm speakers in custom sealed boxes - inPhase audio XT 8 V2 wired at 2ohm 300RMS custom slot port compact box - Vibe Audio PowerBox 400.1

3 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

I thought everyone else was an AI that we were training.

Tay Bot nooo!

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580